It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Watch Dogs" and "Black Ops: II" Video Game Disinformation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I do not support the idea of conspiracies within creative media, since it is highly likely that said creator just happened to be interested in the same things we are.

One of the larger game developers. Ubisoft, will be coming out with a game called, Watch Dogs - I invite you to watch the trailer.

This game has to do with the collection of data through wireless means, without said people knowing about it. From what I have seen in the gameplay, one of the gameplay mechanics is the ability to remotely hack any electrical device within range and learn everything about said person on the spot. Im not sure how I feel about disinformation, but this could be easily seen as propaganda to make it mundane and nothing out of the ordinary to disregard a persons rights to privacy.

------ - - ---------------- - - - ---------------------

Now here's a real piss off. Black Ops: II

In the newest installment of the Call of Duty:Black Ops franchise, the trailer is very unspecific on who the actual enemy is. Which is pretty standard, a little mystery never hurt anyone, yeah? This game takes place in a future setting, where the entire military complex is controlled remotely through AI, drones basically. Well some figure in the dark takes over this army and decides it is going to do his bidding to take over the world.

Well if you remember the NSA claimed that soon Anonymous would have the ability to take down power grids and leave people in the dark as a form of terrorism. Anonymous responded to the NSA claim with a video.

That's right, the enemy in this game is Anonymous. I dont have to put it together for you, but propaganda at its finest? Anonymous, after the release of this game will become widely known as a terrorist organization with world domination at its core.

This has to be propaganda or disinformation, there is no way around it. Why choose Anon when a made up terrorist organization would fit in its place? Why not a throw back to Ghost in the Shell with the "Laughing Man" if anything?

------- - - - - ----------------

Anyone else see what I see?
And I dont even believe in this...but here it is?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by gostr

I've been saying for a while that all of these military-related video games and movies (like Modern Warfare and Act of Valor, respectively) are nothing but propaganda and designed to desensitize the public to the wars they are planning.

Using a game to make Anonymous out to be a terrorist organization? Hmmm. Seems like it follows the same path. Get the general public to be suspicious of Anonymous then they can rally support behind taking them down.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
original black ops was about straight mind control very deep "campain mode"

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I'm not going to lie, Those games can be pretty fun when you play live.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Your jumping to conclusions. Like you said they have not revealed the enemy yet.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Do they really need to?

After all, 1st/3rd person shooters cater to the lowest common denominator of gamers.

The morons that have no qualms with killing people virtually are the same morons that the military wants.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

they havent in their trailers or anything like that, but it has been confirmed that it is Anonymous

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by DoctorMobius

Oh. I know. lol

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

the morons?
so...does that mean you have a problem with paintball? Blood doesnt explode everywhere when someone is shot in the virtual realm. there is no children crying on the side lines. i can tell you dont play any type of game no?

or better yet, the childrens game "tag", its the same idea, I touch you, your out. whats the difference if its my hand, or its something thrown at you, or shot at you? same idea. its not about ending someones life, its a game of wit and outhinking your opponent. i dont play it because im RAWR BLOOD YEAAAAAAAH ULTRA VIOLENCE! i play it because it takes quite alot of hand eye coordination and i am competitive when it comes to games.
edit on 22-6-2012 by gostr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by gostr

Nice try but neither have anything to do with blatant military propaganda.

Remember "America's Army"?

That was the tipping point for the FPS genre.

That was when the U.S government could legally get involved in training future assassins.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I do remember when that dropped. It was pretty obvious what it was...but training future assassins? the gameplay was terrible, the graphics were sub par. I never played it because it looked bad.

I dont play it for the Ultra violence, like i said, its all about my hand eye coordination vs yours. pick any game you want.

Were the first FPS' military indoctrination?

(we'll skip wolfenstein)
Doom?
Duke Nukem?

I mean, those games were created far from the military. I suppose those fall into the same category?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by gostr

I gave my 360 to my brother so I don't play anymore. I just mess around on them, the last one I was good at was WaW.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
in this short clip there was all kinds of systems and futuristic concepts we KNOW the world elite/governments want the way the world to turn out...

the games and movies of the present will continue to progress in that direction. even MORE dystopian until the world that surrounds us IS the one from our entertainment and we have teams of guys in black camo patrolling the world.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

I love dystopian futures in movies and games, but now that you mention it, it doesnt look like so much fun anymore. Although are they not supposed to act like a warning to the viewer, could it be that these are just warnings? someone trying to say, uhmm you guys should be paying attention. know what i mean?

the problem is, no one is going to notice because it is baby step by baby step to that future. as long as someone can get a 30 second hamburger and facebook never goes offline, they wont notice.

Nice signature by the way, seems almost familiar.... lol

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by gostr
reply to post by yourmaker

I love dystopian futures in movies and games, but now that you mention it, it doesnt look like so much fun anymore. Although are they not supposed to act like a warning to the viewer, could it be that these are just warnings? someone trying to say, uhmm you guys should be paying attention. know what i mean?

the problem is, no one is going to notice because it is baby step by baby step to that future. as long as someone can get a 30 second hamburger and facebook never goes offline, they wont notice.

Nice signature by the way, seems almost familiar.... lol

they can be a warning sometimes imo, but for the most part i'm under the assumption a lot of it is placed with a purpose to guide thinking.

we are in the infancy of a true dystopia.
it's here, hiding in plain sight, for all to see, but none to notice.
you can see it when you look at the camera in wal-mart.

games and movies are not only a reflection of humanity's psyche, but also a guidance system in their own rite.
someone is always inspired enough to make the necessary change into the real world, it always happens.

I lol'd when I read that, I had to make it my sig

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by gostr

I don't think they were.

I remember the original Wolfenstein. It was about destroying the Nazis and eventually destroying Hitler as well.

Duke Nukem?

Piss, # and fart jokes along with babes. Nothing more. The "pigs" Duke kills are nothing more than glorified pigs in police uniforms.

Wolfenstein on the Atari Jaguar is killer. Just wanted to say. I don't know. I guess it's more satisfying to roast a Nazi by their marshmallows?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Why would anonymous end their videos with "We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not Forget." Talk about propaganda, they seem to be saying that they are the antichrist? Why would they perpetuate themselves in such a way that is so obviously anti-christian, if they are concerned with protecting the average American? I would guess that Anonymous has an agenda as well, one that is much more devious than they pretend to represent.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

they are not trying to be an antichrist in any fashion. you can probably google and find what they stand for.

we are legion (many under 1 face, 1 mask, anonymous under the mask)
we do not forgive (you are held accountable)
we do not forget (self explanatory)
expect us (again self explanatory)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by gostr
reply to post by onthedownlow

they are not trying to be an antichrist in any fashion. you can probably google and find what they stand for.

we are legion (many under 1 face, 1 mask, anonymous under the mask)
we do not forgive (you are held accountable)
we do not forget (self explanatory)
expect us (again self explanatory)

Yeah, sounds great, but you can't deny the obvious undertones of those three sentences. The use of those three sentences together is quite intentional. So, why?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword

Do they really need to?

After all, 1st/3rd person shooters cater to the lowest common denominator of gamers.

The morons that have no qualms with killing people virtually are the same morons that the military wants.

Sorry but this is just a blanket statement and completely wrong, so all people who play games are morons? Really? Whatever, I have been an avid gamer since the days of the ZX spectrum and commodore 64, and played literally 1000's of games, I have killed millions in the virtual world, saved the planet, destroyed the planet, conquered the universe. Fought and destroyed the illuminati (Deus Ex, great game) and yet strangely I have not done any of that in the real world, how strange according to your logic I should be out killing people by the 1000's in real life also.

Games are just that, games, they are entertainment. Games are violent because violence is thrilling, it is why action blockbusters generate more money than than a romantic weepy, people crave excitement. However saying that everyone who enjoys them is moronic is way too much of a stretch. People like to be heroic, they like to feel powerful and in a gaming environment they can feel that way for a short while, it does not make them killers or psychopaths in real life. And if you played a lot of these games, yo would realise that the vast majority of them have you actually fighting against the system, winning the game normally means destroying your controllers, hardly training for elite submission

Having been a game designer back in the days of the Amiga (Lost patrol, flight of the intruder and Rampage 3) I do understand what logic goes into their design. They are created by ordinary people, when we create them we want them to be exciting, we want people to buy them we draw on things that interest us in the hope it will interest others and sell more products.

The FPS and TPS genre is the most popular, game developers need to offer something new to an already flooded market. Just adding new mechanics to a game becomes more difficult as time passes because we reach the limits of what current hardware, and so the story has to grip the imagination and encourage people to buy the game, they are a business after all

The crux of the matter is this, just because you don't like something does not make someone else a moron because they do

top topics

<<   2 >>

join