It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress investigates air leak, possible safety lapses at CDC lab

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Here we go again, just when the last event was scrubbed clean from the public domain... More duck tape at CDC discovered when a door was closed and air rushed out alerting visitors that there was a contamination breech.

Well, not according to the official story which states at no time was either the public or employee's endangered by the whoosh of air flowing from section 18 which houses such deadly bio terror experiments and infected rodents as SARS, Anthrax, Monkeypox, Rabies and The Bubonic Plague.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the federal agency charged with preventing the spread of infectious diseases has come under attack today for "serious" airflow problems in an Atlanta building that houses anthrax, SARS and monkeypox.

Documents and emails obtained by USA Today suggest that a poorly engineered airflow system in the CDC's Building 18 could expose unprotected staff and visitors to dangerous airborne pathogens.

"As the door closed a very noticeable puff of air could be felt coming through the slit in the window out into the 'clean' corridor," CDC safety inspector Eddie Jackson wrote in a Feb. 16 email to a top safety official after feeling air flow out of a potentially contaminated lab and into a communal hallway.

"Don't know whether this was a fluke or the norm, and the reason I'm commenting is one of the visitors seemed concerned and has been talking about it since we've come back."

The documents suggest a breach in biosafety regulations, imposed nationwide by the CDC itself, that dictate labs housing the most dangerous inhalable infectious agents must be maintained under "negative pressure."

abcnews.go.com...-PhmlKBo_E

Washington (CNN) -- It's a highly secured, sophisticated research lab studying deadly diseases such as bird flu, monkeypox, tuberculosis and rabies.

It's in a facility called Building 18, which cost taxpayers $214 million.

And now, the Biosafety Level 3 lab at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta is also the subject of a congressional investigation after a potentially dangerous airflow leak at that lab, CNN has learned.

The leak occurred on February 16, when air flowed the wrong way out of a germ lab into a clean-air corridor, rather than through the powerful HEPA filter that cleans the air, congressional sources and CDC officials said.

Visitors touring the facility were in the clean corridor when they observed a puff of air being pushed out from the lab through a slot in a door window. CNN recommends: Deadly bird flu could become airborne

Short video presentation:

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
It's ok, it's only the CDC, not like they house deadly viruses and biological agents that can take out the whole human race,
what? they do? Oh snap,
maybe we will make an appointment to schedule a meeting to have a meeting about having a appointment to make some repairs and select a government safety agency that polices such facilities to properly ensure public safety.
what? they do? wow, ummm
Ok, well, ummm, maybe we can......, wait.. yeah maybe we can make a panel to decide on other people who can schedule a meeting to make an appointment to maybe decide on better ways to decide on things... yeah!
what? they do? Oh well, I just work here... Ask my boss.
edit on 21-6-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

Great post! It is true and with all the bureaucracy involved in the CDC you would think that after the first failure and duck tape discovery they would have mandated new protocols to ensure the safety of their labs.

This irresponsible act violates everything that they openly represent.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I cant help but think about the man in New Mexico who recently died of the Plague and the warnings that went out on the msm about the possibility of an even bigger outbreak over this summer due to rats and fleas infesting homes and people.

Interesting how right after that the most deadly fires broke out in New Mexico's history... Were they set intentionally to stop the infection from spreading without warning the public?

Also here in Missouri it was announced that there is a greater danger of rabies this year.

How many more of the diseases we the American taxpayer allot to the CDC to keep us SECURE from disease have escaped from their shoddy operation? How much is intentional?
edit on 21-6-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I honestly an worried about people's capacity to care about what they are doing is important, and why.
Since we value money, we have wavier from reliable, hardworking correctly, durable, and proud product, mindsets and standards. We sent people to space, the moon, and linked the united states with the most complex highway system imaginable. Yet now, I doubt we really know what the hell we are doing, barely hanging on to the threads of a clue as to how what we do effects such and such.

It's just down to peeing contests and gambling with other's money for money of their own. I can only imagine, what things would be like if we still had a value system, but also focused on what really mattered.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
got excited clicked twice so here I am again to say hello.

edit on 21-6-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Moneyisgodlifeisrented

How to help them, ourselves stay awake at this late hour?

top topics

join