It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperation: Obama Surrogate Calls to Make Voting Mandatory

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Yes, this is just what we need. More disinterested fools participating in our electoral process not because they want to, but because they have to. Never mind a person's freedom of choice regarding their participation, either. No, as always, the left knows what's best for you in your day to day life.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

One thing just dawned on me.

If voting was mandatory, wouldn’t that require showing ID Cards to vote as well? Something that the Democrats are opposed to?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Most states put candidates names in alphabetic order.

Some if forced to vote would just mark the first candidate name on the ballot.
Plus some people that are mentally demented would not know who they were voting for.(win by the Alzheimer vote)
And then you still have a few people that can not read in the US.(the blind, moron and brain dead vote)

Since Obama would be listed before Romney he would likely win just because of people being forced to vote.

This is likely why this Obama Surrogate wants to make Voting Mandatory.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I hear a lot of complaints about how bad Obama is and how bad the 'people' think he is but never about how only 35% of the population elected him.

When the idea of getting more people to vote comes up it's suddenly a loss of freedom. Our representatives don't really represent us, they represent the 30% of their district that vote for them, not the remaining 70% who either didn't vote for them or didn't vote at all.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

I do not understand what makes this person an Obama surrogate.
Can you please help.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
My goodness!

Sure, I'll vote.
Just as sure as each name on the ballot has a box to check for 'no-confidence'.
It's funny there is no such box, isn't it?

Would those numbers be acknowledged if they were counted?

confidence

a : a relation of trust or intimacy b : reliance on another's discretion c : support especially in a legislative body

Why Public Participation Is Important to Democracy

Why public participation is important

If it's so important, then enable a vote of no-confidence...trust is a two-way street.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Australia has made voting mandatory and that doesn't seem to be working out so terribly.

I feel like the will of MORE people would be seen in politics if more people voted.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by habitforming

I do not understand what makes this person an Obama surrogate.
Can you please help.

I think the article author used "surrogate" to connect the dots back to Obama.

The guy was an Obama "official", and is probably still an Obama supporter.

He may even be paid by the Campaign to make comments for all we know.

""Somebody named Peter Orszag, who is the former head of the Obama Office of Management and Budget""

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

So he is not an Obama surrogate and yet you reprinted it here?
Why would you post an article that you yourself cannot understand?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Seriously though, I think compulsory voting is a rather touchy concept. I've never understood what would possess a person to just throw away their only political voice and choose not to vote. If these people are that apathetic to the democratic process, do we really want them voting for [whoever] just because they had to vote for someone?

You vote for 1 of 2 "people".

None of which represents you in any substantial way, not beneficially anyway.

So the most a "real voter" could do is a write-in for a candidate that is not going to win, Ron Paul for example.

So you're pretty much just playing make-believe and telling yourself "my vote matters".

Who is really apathetic here?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by habitforming

So he is not an Obama surrogate and yet you reprinted it here?
Why would you post an article that you yourself cannot understand?

It's the headline of the article.

The main points of the article are:

1) Mandatory voting in the U.S.

2) An Obama supporter and Democrat is suggesting it.

My reaction is (as stated):

Interesting theory. I bet many Americans have never heard of this concept.

Can our friends in Australia and other countries give us some details on how "mandatory" voting works ?

And, he very well could be an Obama surrogate by definition.

sur·ro·gate (sûr-gt, -gt, sr-)
n.

1. One that takes the place of another; a substitute.

a. A person or animal that functions as a substitute for another, as in a social or family role.
b. A surrogate mother.

3. Psychology A figure of authority who takes the place of the father or mother in a person's unconscious or emotional life.

4. Law A judge in New York and some other states having jurisdiction over the probate of wills and the settlement of estates.

adj.
Substitute.
tr.v. (-gt) sur·ro·gat·ed, sur·ro·gat·ing, sur·ro·gates
1. To put in the place of another, especially as a successor; replace.
2. To appoint (another) as a replacement for oneself.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I know it is the headline of the article. It is also part of the article. It frames it. It sets up "who" you are about to hear about and even by the definition you are really really stretching on this and you know it. I have to wonder what the point is in pretending this man speaks for Obama.

link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

He claims that low voter turnout is a problem because we apparently have elected officials that are not elected by the majority.

Keep in mind that this is just off the top of my head, but I am thinking that has only happened twice in US history. George W. Bush being one of them and please, some one correct me if I am mistaken.

So, that alone, to me, is not enough to warrant mandatory voting. If that is what he is concerned about... Well,frankly, maybe he should be advocating for replacing the electoral college with the popular vote.

I do happen to think that is what we should be going with now days anyway...The popular vote. But I digress.

Should we have mandatory voting? No, I do not believe we should. It is a right that we have. We have the right to vote, if we so choose and for whom ever we feel is best suited for the job. However, it is not a law that we must vote and I do not feel that it should be made law.

Truth_2012

link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's all unconstitutional and nobody gives a shat...and no one is doing anything about it....I don't think Australia has the US constitution so to bad for them...as for me...if I want a big gulp while I do not vote that's what I shall do..

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Just a thought...

if we are forced to vote say by executive order....

can we vote "present"...like a certain senator did during his year and a half in office?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Just a thought...

if we are forced to vote say by executive order....

can we vote "present"...like a certain senator did during his year and a half in office?

You mean the "present" vote that is a choice between yay, nay, or present?
You want to know if you will be able to use that when voting for people into political office where the only choices are the names of the people?

You did not just really reach that far to try and slam Obama did? Cuz thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat one looks pretty desperate.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

He claims that low voter turnout is a problem because we apparently have elected officials that are not elected by the majority.

If you can show me data that proves otherwise, I'd love to see it.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234

If you can show me data that proves otherwise, I'd love to see it.

I never disputed that fact.

quote from OP:

Interesting theory. I bet many Americans have never heard of this concept.

Can our friends in Australia and other countries give us some details on how "mandatory" voting works ?

I'm interested in any penalties or consequences in countries that use this.

And, of course, how voting results are impacted if at all.

I never heard this idea brought up in the U.S.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The creepy thought is that so many people don't give a fig about politics and to demand they go in a voting booth and perform there civic duty without knowing the issues and the candidates positions sounds like a good recipe for a Fail.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think we should all vote on the matter, and it should be a mandatory vote to vote on the matter...but I suppose if we are going to make the vote on voting for mandatory voting mandatory, then maybe we need to have a vote on whether the vote on mandatory voting should be mandatory.

Ain't nothing like forced freedom, baby.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join