It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starving Greeks queue for food in their thousands

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Starving Greeks queue for food in their thousands

www. dailymail.co.uk

Starving Greeks queued around the block for free food handouts yesterday as the country's politicians managed to end a crippling stalemate to form a coalition government

Young children as well as the elderly waited in line in Athens to collect the parcels of fruit and vegetables donated by farmers from Crete to help ease the devastating austerity faced by many Greeks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Has it really come to this? The threat of starvation in modern Europe? Other reports of this crisis-wracked nation also say medicine and other staples are becoming impossible to come by.

This is what happens when countries dance to the tune of financial elites. Greece shares some of the blame for taking on too much debt and unrealistic spending/pension schemes, it is true. But a financial system designed to bleed countries dry and toss them over its shoulder seems a more pressing danger at the moment.

I would love to see Greece wise up like Iceland and tell the corrupt bankers where to shove their loans. But the new government seems set on helping the bankers recoup their losses. Bankers claim to be capitalists, so why don't they man up and eat their losses like real businessmen? Instead they whine to the governments and destroy the very fabric of whole nations just to get their bailouts.

www. dailymail.co.uk

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

parcels of fruit and vegetables donated by farmers from Crete

leave it too the FARMERS ,,

luv it.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
People here in the US have no idea how bad it is in Greece right now. Comparatively speaking, although our jobless rate is high (for American standards) our society as a whole is still staying afloat.

In Greece, just to see a glimpse of their financial devastation, over 60% (A HUGE PERCENTAGE) of the population have not paid their electricity bill in over 3 months.

These people are so broke that they can't even pay their utility bills. That's how bad it is over there right now.

Not to get political, but if Ron Paul was to be elected and is able to push through his drastic spending cuts, we would be just like Greece right now.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
We should take note. We complain about things here but still have a chance to make improvements. My heart goes out to these people who have lost everything. We have it made so far comparatively speaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to these folks that see some amount of relief soon. The farmers that are helping their fellow man are golden in my book.

This is not a third world nation hurting here. These folks are us. For those who think it can't happen, here's a preview. A terrible, tragic, situation.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Is it really that difficult to stash away extra rice, beans, and canned goods each month? For about $10 a month, I buy an extra 5lbs of rice, 3lbs of dried beans, and a dozen cans of fruits and vegetables just in case something happens. At this point, I've got enough food to get me through an entire year if need be. If people would just employ some basic preparation strategies, standing in a huge public line for food hand-outs wouldn't be necessary.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Come to Australia Greek people, we have a major skills crisis here and need foreign workers in ur mines!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekingAlpha
In Greece, just to see a glimpse of their financial devastation, over 60% (A HUGE PERCENTAGE) of the population have not paid their electricity bill in over 3 months.

You've obviously not been to Philadelphia or Detroit lately.

Not to get political, but if Ron Paul was to be elected and is able to push through his drastic spending cuts, we would be just like Greece right now.

Well, not to get political, but if you think that sacrificing our Constitution, stripping away individual liberties, and continuing bail-outs and quantitative easing is the way to keep America strong, then you should pack your sh|t and GTFO. I hear Greece is nice this time of year...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder

Has it really come to this? The threat of starvation in modern Europe? Other reports of this crisis-wracked nation also say medicine and other staples are becoming impossible to come by.

This is what happens when countries dance to the tune of financial elites. Greece shares some of the blame for taking on too much debt and unrealistic spending/pension schemes, it is true. But a financial system designed to bleed countries dry and toss them over its shoulder seems a more pressing danger at the moment.

I would love to see Greece wise up like Iceland and tell the corrupt bankers where to shove their loans. But the new government seems set on helping the bankers recoup their losses. Bankers claim to be capitalists, so why don't they man up and eat their losses like real businessmen? Instead they whine to the governments and destroy the very fabric of whole nations just to get their bailouts.

www. dailymail.co.uk

Yes it has come to this. These stories are little exaggerated and sensationalized, for the obvious reason to sell more.

Some might find it interesting that a certain Greek monk once upon a time, not that long ago actually, predicted that one of the things that will happen in the future, involving Greece, or in this case to Greece, was starvation.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekingAlpha

actually,
Not to get political, but if Ron Paul was to be elected and is able to push through his drastic spending cuts, u would be ABLE TOO HELP,, Greece right now.

remember the Berlin Blockaide,, ,,ahhh the old days.
,,ya like that would ever happen again,,
and where is the U.N ,, these are not starving , African Orphans,,, i forgot.

shame,,shame,,
edit on 21-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Next, the Greek government will give a contract to one of the TBTF to issue food stamp cards in Greece ..... just skimming 3 5 off the card and then another few pennies from the local market....

Just like in America the banks get it from both ends....

POOF .... no more bread lines! and the illusion of economic health!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

ya its called cutting coupons,,, maybe start an e-bay ,, 50% off,, Greek Mazo,,,,,good only at Greek Market number 4. lol

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BLV12A
Some might find it interesting that a certain Greek monk once upon a time, not that long ago actually, predicted that one of the things that will happen in the future, involving Greece, or in this case to Greece, was starvation.

I'm sorry, but a blanket prediction that starvation will occur does not make a prophet. Starvation and famine have been occurring globally throughout history, so such a prediction is sorta like predicting that the sun will rise tomorrow. You heard it hear first... if that sun rises up in the East tomorrow morning I'm changing my name to Nostradamus.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by draco49

point being this is 2012,, its GREECE,,there is no need for it.
WHATSOEVER.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by draco49

point being this is 2012,, its GREECE,,there is no need for it.
WHATSOEVER.

I agree. There is no need for the Greeks to starve. But apparently foresight and preparation are two concepts lost on the people of Greece. If something like this happened in the US, I have no doubt that at least 90% of the population would be just as unprepared, and you'd see Americans standing in line for hand-outs. As long as people keep their heads in the sand and continue going about business as usual, this sort of thing will continue to happen. If you're not prepared to live "off the grid" and without the modern conveniences we take for granted, you're only setting yourself up for disaster when the sh|t hits the fan.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
They are also GIVING UP THEIR CHILDREN TO FOSTER HOMES.

This SHOULD not be happening anywhere in this day and age!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by draco49
Is it really that difficult to stash away extra rice, beans, and canned goods each month? For about $10 a month, I buy an extra 5lbs of rice, 3lbs of dried beans, and a dozen cans of fruits and vegetables just in case something happens. At this point, I've got enough food to get me through an entire year if need be. If people would just employ some basic preparation strategies, standing in a huge public line for food hand-outs wouldn't be necessary.

Right, guarding your stockpile with your life would be necessary instead.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by draco49

Right, guarding your stockpile with your life would be necessary instead.

A year's worth of food, supplies, clothing, and water filtration equipment fits neatly in the back of my SUV (along with 30 gallons of reserve fuel). When things go bad, I'll just head into the mountains and set up camp. I won't need to guard my supplies with my life... I've got plenty of ammunition.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
The money lended (given, we won't get it back) to them is used for the banks of not going bankrupt. because of the ongoing bankrun.

The banks created this crisis and are also doing nothing to solve this crisis. They don't want it to be solved. The crisis is a good money income for the banks. They don't care about the starving people.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DutchBigBoy

The crisis is a good money income for the banks. They don't care about the starving people.
actually in todays Digital World,, it very well may be a software issue and not the Banks,, fault.
hope everyone has an updated Bank PassBook.,,paper record,,

opps too late.
edit on 22-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join