It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate kills effort to block EPA regulations on coal-powered plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
story from Human Events
By: Audrey Hudson
6/20/2012 06:11 PM

Senate kills effort to block EPA regulations on coal-powered plants

The EPA emissions rule that some say will kill off as many as 50,000 jobs and substantially raise electricity costs will apparently go through.

The Senate attempted to block it, but failed.

Legislation to defeat an EPA emissions rule that critics say would kill thousands of jobs and raise electricity rates for consumers was killed in the Senate Wednesday.

A handful of Republicans sided with Democrats to block the measure on a procedural vote of 46 yeas to 53 nays, including Sens. Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, Scott Brown of Massachusetts, and Susan Collins and Olympia Snow of Maine.

Democrats who crossed over to vote with Republicans included Sens. Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Joe Manchin of West Virginia, Ben Nelson of Nebraska and Mark Warner and Jim Webb of Virginia.

Republicans say the mercury emission rules for coal-fired plants are the centerpiece of President Barack Obama’s war on coal.

“This effectively kills coal in America,” said Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.), author of the measure.

read the article for details.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Heroin addict: No no no, man. I have to ween myself off. I promise I wont stay addicted. I promise. I promise. Look man, I promise. Would I lie to you? I promise.

Coal addict: No no no, sir. We must utilize all energy resources to be dependent from foreign sources. We will use alternative energy later, when it is viable. We promise we have long term goals to transition. We promise. Just, just let us continue using coal, the environment is collateral, but it won't be for much longer. We promise. Trust us. America strong....America strong.... *whispers* America strong.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Thank god! Maybe we can finally get rid of coal in our lifetime. It won't make it through though. They'll find another way to kill it. Coal is the most dangerous power source out there, and it needs to go away. They have HUGE lobbyists though, so I guarantee this will die somewhere along the line.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Coal is going be around for a while folks . There are no viable replacements for large scale deployment at this time, let alone changing a grid over. The replacements went out of business or are going bankrupt. They are all nuclear alternatives as well as conventional. There is one mini plant that survived the Obama economy " The mini nuke reactor developed at LANL and Sandia in 2008 . it will be deployed at Savanna River.

Hyperion Power from 2008

Nine Power,” will focus on commercializing energy and water technology from LANL,

Also Sandia National Labs is looking for another partner for this project. This is really cool. Ok Repeat after me. No Nukes ! , No Nukes ! Really it's not Nuclear.

Sandia’s heat-producing turbine boosts small nuclear reactor efficiency

The system uses carbon dioxide in a closed-loop “Brayton-cycle” turbine to crank up electric conversion from heat, said Gary Rochau, manager of the advanced nuclear concepts group at Sandia’s Nuclear Energy and Fuel Cycle Technologies Center.

There is host of other companies that have other solutions, but are having trouble because of the economy, some out of business . This economy is a two edge sword and cuts both way with National Lab projects. Our National Labs always have parters in there projects to bring them to market., but venture capitalist are not flocking like they used too. Many of these private companies that team with the labs know that the nuke option is not popular, even the mini nuke plants. ( hence' Savana instead ) We are headed in right direction ( non nuke) but like I said venture capital is needed for the private companies to team up with the national labs as they are becoming far and few. Anyone whom has worked in National Labs knows this to well .

Just this week I drove by a company near the National Labs and the parking lot was empty with a" for lease" sign on the 50,000 sqft building. They were located outside the gate of the Lab. I stopped my truck , I just had to ask there neighbors what happened. A= they lost there funding from a venture capital group. I'm won't name names of the company or the venture capital group because they still have ongoing small projects at the Lab. Anyway it just astounded me. 800 people and a good energy source development gone like the wind.

Solar Panels and Windmills are for private home owners, that if your local building codes or home owner association allow it . You might even get lucky if the power company will buy the power back form you. Not to mention these products are already developed. This country need large scale deployment of alternative power sources, not Windmills and solar panels. I drive by these rusted out solar panel arrays everyday at the labs; of course they do have the large scale 10 -20 acre version that still on going for other related projects.

The only reason I can see coal is still around is because we keep being fooled by congressional repressiveness. We are way, way past coal people.

You get flag OP.

edit on 22-6-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-6-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

We will all breathe easier paying electric bills that are 2 or 3X what we're paying now.
And those kids with asthma can breathe the clean air 24/7 because they're living in tents.
Sounds good to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

So you'd rather have them breathing in Uranium, Thorium, Cesium, and having 30 acre ash ponds filled with radioactive ash failing and burying hundreds of acres in several feet of ash? You're right, that sounds SO much better to me.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
When looking at the culture of the US political processes it very much resembles the symptoms of mercury poisoning.

irritability, anxiety/nervousness often with difficulty in breathing, restlessness, exaggerated response to stimulation, fearfulness, emotional instability, lack of self control, fits of anger with violent irrational behaviour, loss of self confidence, indecision, shyness or timidity, being easily embarrassed, loss of memory, inability to concentrate, lethargy/drowsiness, insomnia, mental depression, despondency withdrawal suicidal tendencies, manic depression

www.mercurypoisoned.com...

Any steps to address is this a very good move. Mental stability and wise decision making is priceless.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Good for the Senate! It's about time they actually got something done and I can't think of a better place to start.

Not to mention the enjoyment I get just from seeing how upset it makes the resident trolls here on ATS. Just icing on the cake!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Breathe easier?

Hardly....when the electric bills get to 2-8x what they are now, no one will be able to afford their electric bills.....A/C won't be running as much...if at all.....no.....it will be pure hell....but the politicians don't care...the former middle class is being squeezed out of existence....and this just just another tightening of the cord around our necks.....

edit on Fri Jun 22 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
We are in the 21st century. We supposedly put men on the Moon. There is no reason to power the world using any fossil fuel creating energy via the chemical release of heat.

Wait there is one... the folks who are crazily rich and stand to lose their income have a stranglehold on the gov't and will do all to suppress any technology that would wrest that power/influence/money from their hands.

What I just said is the ONLY reason, and we all know it.

Political lies are just corporate decisions.

Derek

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I'll have to confess my ignorance on the byproducts of coal burning here. I believe there's is no such thing as "clean coal" is that correct? Yet somehow we've survived burning coal for the last 150 years.
Are there any figures on cancer rates etc?
I'm all for renewable energy but coal is an established and profitable industry that without which certain states would be bankrupt. It keeps the railroads profitable and power generation costs low.
We can't instantly implement harsh environmental laws without huge increases in costs to the electric consumers - which is everybody. Nobody can afford this regardless of how much environmental conditions are improved by it.

Bottom line to me is typical electric bills per household will go up to $500 - $1,000 /mo.
Ouchiness,,!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity.

How many of you who think this is an absolutely peachy ideas pay utility bills?
How many of you are on a fixed income?
Or who make less than $30,000 per household?

You're talking about corrupt, rich fats cats...who will likely not feel the pinch.
But people...they will hurt.
They will lose their homes, they will go without.

The economy of states in America will be even further devastated.

It's one thing to get a program for renewable, cheap, alternative energy.
It's quite another to hurt those least able to withstand this insanity.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

No, they won't. It's just fear mongering, anyone making so little money is likely eligible to receive assistance for energy costs anyway.

Then again, the same senate cut those benefits in an effort to cut costs, you know...that money is just wasted on lazy people who thrive on government paychecks.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

No, maybe a family, but a married couple get no breaks at that level.
It's not fear-mongering.
It's reality for a lot of Americans who do not get those government checks everybody keeps talking about.

It's reality for a lot of hard-working people...and older Americans who do not qualify for these hand-outs.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The radiation released from the burning isn't a huge amount per coal plant, the big problem is when you have the ash pond. They just throw dirt over it and plant grass. If you get a heavy rain, you get something like Kingston. A 30 acre ash pond had the walls break, and flooded a 300 acre area, under several feet of ash.

There are three types of ash from coal plants. The first if fly ash, which is the lighter ash that is sometimes released from the stacks. Then there's bottom ash and boiler slag, which are removed using a liquid slurry mix.

There has been a VAST improvement in so called "clean" coal plants. There still is no such thing as a completely clean coal plant, but there's only about a 5% increase in radiation exposure for people living close to the plants now.

As much as I would love to see coal go away completely, I recognize it as a necessary evil. I just want to see them forced to clean up their emissions, and find a safer way to dispose of the ash that can't be used for other products.

www.epa.gov...

An older study, and a little biased, but it gives you the general idea.
www.ornl.gov...

Workers exposed to Cesium

Kingston TN failure released one billion gallons of ash

WIlmington NC Partial failure

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Thank you Zaphod58. Your reply was very informative. The amount of knowledge possessed by ATS members is pretty amazing and they can be a great resource to fill in gaps in one's own knowledge.
I seem to recall something about fly ash seriously polluting groundwater sources at dump sites. The Kingston disaster was horrible, seems it takes something bad like that happening to get real oversight.
I hate coal for mountaintop removal mining practices, we've lost around 500 mountains in Appalachia already to it. Underground mining may be more costly and hazardous to workers yet it provides more jobs and is generally better for the environment.
I agree coal is a necessary evil and we should do what we can to clean it up, but such major changes in our infrastructure need to be phased in slowly so that costs don't skyrocket. Higher power bills hurts everyone, including what little manufacturing we have left. Our economy is on life support right now and can't afford any major shocks.

Great links btw, thanks again

edit on 25-6-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

You're right, if it's done right, then it needs to go away. I would LOVE for coal to be gone, but I also don't want to hurt the people like me that are barely scraping by. Hopefully, in the near future we can come up with viable alternatives, and better technology.

I personally like the new reactor designs that use nuclear waste as fuel. It's a good way to safely get rid of the waste, AND provide power at the same time.

top topics

join