Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

The Loch Ness Monster Is Real; The KKK Is Good: The Shocking Content of Publicly Paid for Christian

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The Loch Ness Monster Is Real; The KKK Is Good: The Shocking Content of Publicly Paid for Christian School Textbooks

www.alternet.org

An August 29, 2009 story in the Times Educational Supplement, a British publication for teachers, provides an excerpt from an Accelerated Christian Education science textbook:

Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence.

Have you heard of the `Loch Ness Monster' in Scotland? `Nessie,' for short has been recorded on sonar from a small submarine, described by eyewitnesses, and photographed by others. Nessie appears to be a plesiosaur.

Could a fish have developed into a dinosaur? As astonishing as it may seem, many evolutionists theorize t
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Christian apologists often like to complain about the conspiracy of "librils" and atheists against them....but reality, at least in Louisiana, is somewhat different.

There, millions of dollars are being paid by taxpayers to teach kids biblical literalism and anti-science.

This 2012-2013 school year, thanks to a bill pushed through by governor Bobby Jindal, thousands of students in Louisiana will receive state voucher money, transferred from public school funding, to attend private religious schools, some of which teach from a Christian curriculum that suggests the Loch Ness Monster disproves evolution and states that the alleged creature, which has never been demonstrated to even exist, has been tracked by submarine and is probably a plesiosaur. The curriculum also claims that a Japanese fishing boat caught a dinosaur.

Y'all may complain all you like about various imagined conspiracies and slights against the constitution, but it is pretty clear to me that the fundamentalist christian conspiracy against the US constitution is where the real danger lies.

www.alternet.org
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 21-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Christianity using the "existence" of the Loch Ness Monster to disprove evolution... just, wow. Of all the lame attempts to disprove evolution, this has to take the cake.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Could a fish have developed into a dinosaur? As astonishing as it may seem, many evolutionists theorize that fish evolved into amphibians and amphibians into reptiles. This gradual change from fish to reptiles has no scientific basis. No transitional fossils have been or ever will be discovered because God created each type of fish, amphibian, and reptile as separate, unique animals. Any similarities that exist among them are due to the fact that one Master Craftsmen fashioned them all."

Great now I have to clean up all this coffee I spilled on my keyboard

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49
Christianity using the "existence" of the Loch Ness Monster to disprove evolution... just, wow. Of all the lame attempts to disprove evolution, this has to take the cake.

I agree that is lame but still a step above the theory of evelution . Which in itself has become a religion because it takes more faith to believe in that lame ass theory than the loch ness monster .

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Religion and education do not mix. Religion serves only to indoctrinate. A religious textbook on science was bound to be a travesty.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Well, sounds fair... Using an hypothetical creature to argument the existence of an invisible almighty giant entity...
btw, I don't see the purpose of this thread... starting another useless fight between atheists/scientists and christians ? not sure they need that... both parties doesn't consider the same things as solid proofs... scientists will present facts and theorize a bit to fill in the gaps left by the analysis of the facts... putting it into coherent model, and believers will always just ignore what they don't understand and live happy by "knowing for sure it's like that because god made it that way"...
Religion is some thing of the old ages... Time to live with your era guys...
It dumbify people by learning them false thing making them appear as facts when they are not, kills objective curiosity by encouraging not to ask questions, and makes bigger tensions that may lead to conflict with other peoples... When will humanity get rid of that old crap and look towards the future instead of being stuck in their almost-never-changing past ? The first step to unificate humanity is to get rid of religions. We should consider all religions as sects, nothing more, nothing less...

Sorry for off-topicness, but I don't get the purpose of the topic of this thread...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azadok2day

I agree that is lame but still a step above the theory of evelution . Which in itself has become a religion because it takes more faith to believe in that lame ass theory than the loch ness monster .

Evolution and natural selection are scientifically proven principles acknowledged by the Church. Whether or not it fully explains humanity is another question. Evolution clearly does not address the big question of "how did all of this start", but it unquestionably explains the physiological progression of species.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

No transitional fossils have been or ever will be discovered because God created each type of fish, amphibian, and reptile as separate, unique animals. Any similarities that exist among them are due to the fact that one Master Craftsmen fashioned them all."

*This is what Fundamentalists actually believe*

Sorry, had to do it.

Seriously, I thought the United States was already waaay behind on our educational standards. Do we really need to raise an entire generation of morons?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
We have a Wisconsin Synod Lutheran college near us. They prep ministers and school teachers, and have people and dinosaurs living together on murals.

We always joked that the science lab must be a janitors closet.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. Funny if it wasn't so sad. And to think generations of kids will be taught this, and some of those may rise to powerful positions in business or politics. God help us moderate and reasonable people.

Extremists, whether they be Christian or Muslim, are bad for society.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I read that the textbooks also claim that God allowed the Trail of Tears to bring many Indians to Christ (p. 3 in the OP link).

I wonder how some of the pro-Christian Zionist Native Americans feel about that?

How much genocide and violence would be justified today to bring Amazonian tribes to Christ, for example?

Is it a justified view?
edit on 24-6-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

join