It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil Degrasse Tyson takes on EVERY major conspiracy theory... a must watch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This MAY have been posted before .. but given it's an hour and 30 minutes long .. he talks about SO many topics, I simply picked the one he's talking about AS I watch it .. which is 9/11 .. he disembowels so many topics from UFO's to 9/11 .. he spends a decent amount of time on each so I would watch the whole thing.. he's a respected astrophysicist and scientist who has the delivery of a comedian.. so he's fun to watch .. but he's brilliant as well. so please WATCH ..

50 minutes in for the relevant bit for this forum .. if you're interested in the 9/11 bit .. but for all .. watch the whole thing..

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
You made the same thread two times in two different forums?

I'm going to watch this though, it looks interesting.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

This guy is the precise reason I hate know-it-alls; one of those guys about whom you'd say: "Well, he may be brilliant--but, Jesus Christ, what an idiot...."

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Yes, I watched a little of this before. I thought it was moronic.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

One of my heros but don't blame him. He's in a frame of mind that most Americans are in. Stuck in what they believe in and what they can prove. It's one of those "Move along people, nothing to see here" type retinues.

I've seen him talk about the UFO phenomenon and he's using the absence of evidence as evidence of absence. To be truly objective, you can't do that. Especially in regards to other disciplines and areas of knowledge. I find it funny that other governments have declassified large swathes of their reported UFO activity and Uncle Sam has not. I wonder... why

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I just watched about 90% of this. I was laughing out loud at so much of his speech. Yes, he was a keynote speaker and there for entertainment. Most truthers wont like this because of what he says about conspiracy theorists.

I was looking for the 9/11 information, but there wasn't really anything. Just that he lives near ground zero and filmed the 2nd impact. He then went on about how GW Bush made mistakes about who named the stars.

Thank you for posting this, I enjoed it!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I used to love this guy. In fact, I DO love this guy...when he sticks to his area of expertise, astrophysics and other outter spacey type stuff. I didn't watch the video. Although I might, I don't really have to as I am perfectly aware that any clever person can use rhetoric to state their opinion. But with someone in the spotlight as much as he is, you have to wonder if its really his opinion, or is he being pushed in a certain direction by those with an agenda? Or maybe he's one of those people who has been a part of the establishment for so long, and benefited from it so much, that the fact that it could all be a sham scares him to death and so he is using what he has, his wits, to construct a house of cards around himself to replace the world he used to know as it all falls apart. "Its ok! Everything's still normal! If I can only make these pieces fit...see?? That works!" In all fairness I guess I should watch the video... See what this guy is up to... Just to learn a few tricks to put up my sleeve should be worth it. It will be fun just to laugh at all the people who believe everything he says... I mean, I'm sure he will probably say a few things that aren't so bad... I mean, he's not THAT bad I guess..... He does have great delivery as someone mentioned... MY GOD. I miss that voice! Neil Tyson De Grasse, I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!! You kick ass man I wanna be just like you! Please take me back! Back into your world where everything is mysterious and yet makes perfect sense at the same time! We're not worthy!! We're not worthy!!
edit on 21-6-2012 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie

One of my heros but don't blame him. He's in a frame of mind that most Americans are in. Stuck in what they believe in and what they can prove. It's one of those "Move along people, nothing to see here" type retinues.

Um... what's wrong with believing in something you can prove? That's called reality.

I've seen him talk about the UFO phenomenon and he's using the absence of evidence as evidence of absence. To be truly objective, you can't do that. Especially in regards to other disciplines and areas of knowledge. I find it funny that other governments have declassified large swathes of their reported UFO activity and Uncle Sam has not. I wonder... why

He actually believes in life on other planets. - just that there isn't any proof that we have been visited.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Worth a look for sure......hes very enetertaining.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six Sigma

Um... what's wrong with believing in something you can prove? That's called reality.

He actually believes in life on other planets. - just that there isn't any proof that we have been visited.

What exactly is reality?!

Is there any proof that we haven't been visited?!

If we can exist, if planets can exist, if the universe can 'exist' then surely anything is possible?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidtwist
What exactly is reality?!

Is there any proof that we haven't been visited?!

If we can exist, if planets can exist, if the universe can 'exist' then surely anything is possible?

The point is that literally anything is possible. But to have it be accepted as reality, it must be proven. Things are proven with evidence, and there are plenty of things that are acceptable as evidence. To say that your conspiracy theory is valid on the basis that you reject evidence is a flimsy argument at best.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 3n19m470

Yeah, you're pretty much right on that. He has his place. His delivery is a bit too much for me; but for people who enjoy that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they'd enjoy--to turn a phrase.

The thing is, I find it hard to muster a lot of respect for people who are in a position that requires an absolutely open mind and an inquisitive nature--and yet they continue to try to convince themselves (and--worse--others) that "since this patently cannot be true, therefore it isn't." I believe it's intellectually dishonest and does a disservice to himself and to us all....

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Six Sigma

Nothing unless it skews how you approach the problem and i think he hasn't taken a close look at all of the circumstantial evidence. Has he read or taken an objective look not at our but the various militarizes around the world and what they have to say about the phenomenal or is he working what he sees off TV?

Like i said, he's using the absence of evidence as evidence of absence.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Cenpuppy,
Absence of evidence is absence.
Why do you suppose Dr. Tyson should endorse ETV if there's nothing whatsoever to support it?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I know not everyone likes him, but I appreciate that people are at least taking the time to listen.. I know he sounds a bit arrogant in this at times but this isn't his standard delivery.. if you see him interviewed or debating, he's very humble and passionate at the same time.. There are TONS of videos out there of him but I chose this because he hits on SO many topics..

There's another video I really love that is only 30 minutes long where he discusses the possible impact of an asteroid in 2036, as well as many other ways the earth or universe is trying to kill us

Worth a watch as well .. fora.tv...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
reply to post by 3n19m470

Yeah, you're pretty much right on that. He has his place. His delivery is a bit too much for me; but for people who enjoy that sort of thing, that's the sort of thing they'd enjoy--to turn a phrase.

His delivery isn't always this intense.. trust me =) .. but one thing can't be denied, he's always passionate.. I saw a discussion with him and Richard Dawkins and Dr. Tyson definitely stole the show.. his problem, if it could be called a problem.. is that he's so passionate about a topic that he goes off on a tangent .. but you could tell that Richard Dawkins was actually loving it.. he would sit and smile as Dr. Tyson went on far longer than he intended..

ALSO worth a watch .. =) especially if you're a fan of Professor Dawkins as I am

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Six Sigma

Well said .. he's a strong believer in the possibility of intelligent life, in fact in the video I just posted in reply to someone else ( dawkins and tyson ) .. he goes into his belief to great detail.. he brings up something I never even considered in fact.. you look at how similar we are to chimps and that small percentage of difference is presumably what makes us SO intelligent ( by our definition of intelligence ) .. what if there's a life out there that is that same percentage above US .. that small amount could make us so un-intelligent to them that we're overlooked as not interesting.. he made the point of a worm crawling out of the dirt.. we don't look down at the worm and think "gee I wonder what's on it's mind?" .. we just walk by because in our arrogance we think we are sooooo much better/above that worm .. aliens might be the same way when looking at us as humans..

It makes you think..

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Meh, it's just condescending to have someone of his stature try to smash you over the head saying "I'm smart and their not. Listen to me instead of them".

Because that's pretty much his argument. If your trying to change minds hit us more than with opinions. If he had some astronomical data (seeing as how that's what he does) to back up his position then i'd be like "Ahh, okay". I'm not going to brush it off because i don't believe it and that's what he's doing.

new topics

top topics

join