It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divergent Effects of Beliefs in Heaven and Hell on National Crime Rates

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by draco49

Thanks for the source.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
must be a western thing... as very few christians in asia - outside the american puppet states and the crime rates are far lower in asia than in western countries ... amusing attempt at justifying the primitive barbaric superstition christianity ...

Thanks for your post. It's good to see a non-Western point of view on this topic. Having said that, I would argue that the fear of actual harsh punishments that await potential criminals in many Asian countries simply takes the place of the perceived fears of punishment employed by Western churches and religions.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by draco49

Religions have some truth, dark code and light code like Solomon's black and white checkerboard floor, hidden things for seekers as well, or initiates.

They take real spiritual truths and lay them out in a controlling way. Smiting God, etc.

They put some clues in: Genesis 32 30 for example tells you the name of the city to meet God In, Pineal. And that very much relates to the level of rung reached on Jacob's ladder, which is infinite layers of frequency from higher to lower within the infinite heavens, for tis a frequency match. Fallen means regressed consciousness, less love and more LAW and smiiting and wars and non forgiveness. This world is Fallen.

The Higher Frequency and where Family, and if we go with As Above So Below like mystery schools then we can say, Dad/Mom and family, and everyone who is Love and Goodness and Equal, growign their souls to infintiy, bigger with more progressed consciousness, ARE LOVE. This is Virtues, not Law. This is Free Will not Forcing. Love is Kind, Humble, Gentle, Giving, Forgivign and Walks in the Footsteps of All, Going The Extra MIle, and Equalizes, Visits the Sick, Nudges Awareness, and is Peace and Truth.

Not thrones and not kings and not pyramids.

This world is fallen.

Love does not sentence people to everlasting hell. A truly Loving Heart reaches into the pits and lends a helping hand, but people also flock together in frequency, some think its all tough love and harshness and they tend to group up, and its about Free Will or freeing the mind to grow up to Love.

In infinity, given its length and breadth, one would imagine that anyone that is not a toaster, a program of opposition in the matrix/AI, any intellect, will eventually need to be truly happy and be free.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I am personally of the belief that we, as humans, are emergent expressions of a universal consciousness comprised of vibrations of light. The best metaphor I can think of to explain my POV is that of a fungus. Fungal organisms exist as a network of mycelium (universal consciousness). Mushrooms(humans) are an emergent expression of that mycelial network. As I've expressed before, I believe we are spiritual beings having a human experience, and not the other way around.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Vermont USA has the most liberal gun laws for personal carry, it is the least religious state and still has the second lowest crime/murder rates in the country. go figure

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
Only belief in God had a compelling effect on average crime rates over and above the effects of belief in heaven and hell, which remained highly cogent.

No it doesn't, correlation does not imply causation.

The cum hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy can be expressed as follows:

A occurs in correlation with B.
Therefore, A causes B.

In this type of logical fallacy, one makes a premature conclusion about causality after observing only a correlation between two or more factors. Generally, if one factor (A) is observed to only be correlated with another factor (B), it is sometimes taken for granted that A is causing B even when no evidence supports it.

That's an often used way for someone to try and prove something that is false.
edit on 21-6-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
We also need to take a look at what most countries call crime and where firearms are available to the general public.

Factors like that could influence the numbers too.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by draco49

Sorry to burst your bubble, but corruption of the church and malevolent use of religion are as old as religion itself. The idea that if we all just became good Christians the world would be a better place, is utter nonsense. History has irrefutably shown that religion (more specifically, Christianity) is responsible for more deaths and acts of barbarism than any other single factor. How is fearing "the lake of fire" going to improve my life, or the lives of anyone? Is living in fear your idea for paradise on Earth?

I say we'd all be better off by casting aside these dogmatic, medieval constructs (religion) and embracing the unique human ability of reason and critical thinking.

so, you seem to be saying that the churches are corrupt and aren't practicing what they preach...
I would propose to you that if this is so, and I believe that it is, then they don't really believe in the heaven or hell concept, or they would be practicing what they are preaching! they are not practicing christianity! there is no way that 70% of the population are!! and yes, I am considering the occasional mess up that christians will make for whatever reason, when they find themselves doing things once in awhile and realize that what they have done is wrong! that is called being human! allowing a scheme to take place where fraud is used over and over again for the purpose of foreclosing homes and sending the people out into the streets, well, that is not called being a human christian, that is just plain greed! as any religion grows in numbers and power, it seems that greed and the hunger for more power starts to take hold of the church leadership. wonder how much wealth the catholic church has in it's vaults hidden away?? also wonder why they aren't following the teaching of christ and sharing that wealth with the poor. I mean, if they did, there'd probably be alot less poor in the world!!
na, if the world became all followers of one religion, we'd probably have witch burnings and all the other crap we had in times gone by being committed by that religion as they strived to maintain and grow more and more power, and wealth.

but, my point is, if 70% or more of the population were actually taking the teachings of christ seriously in the US, we wouldn't be having near as many problems as we do!!
christ's teachings can be summed up in one phrase...
do unto others as your would have others do unto you! how many times in a day have you had people act obnoxious, rude, or even threatening to you?? and, oh yes, I am sure all those bankers out there would love to have a scam pulled on them that destroyed the economy so badly that the jobs dry up and the mortgage can't be paid, or maybe it is paid off entirely! and have them take their home!! I am sure all those employers out there paying minimum wage would just love to have the kind of paycheck that they are handing out for them to struggle to stretch out for a week while the cost of living rises higher and higher!

nope, not a christian nation here!

the concept of heaven or hell, and societies that use religion and extreme control over the population only causes people not to look beyond to see the why of everything. why should we follow the golden rule?? is it because we are afraid of hell? or is it because we have learned that the world can be a really ugly place if we treat each other like crap and care only of ourselves? it's only when we are allowed to ask the question why, and have the opportunity to experiment a little, and yes act like idiots, that we grow and learn the way to live happy lives!

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

I know that, it say it in the post. I never said I thought this was concrete, just merely co-relational.

First and foremost, these findings are co-relational, and thus reverse-causation and third variable explanations need to be discounted before causal claims can be firmly endorsed. However, at least two reasons suggest that a causal effect of these religious beliefs on crime is a plausible explanation for the pattern of results.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
so, you seem to be saying that the churches are corrupt and aren't practicing what they preach...
I would propose to you that if this is so, and I believe that it is, then they don't really believe in the heaven or hell concept, or they would be practicing what they are preaching! they are not practicing christianity! there is no way that 70% of the population are!! and yes, I am considering the occasional mess up that christians will make for whatever reason, when they find themselves doing things once in awhile and realize that what they have done is wrong! that is called being human! allowing a scheme to take place where fraud is used over and over again for the purpose of foreclosing homes and sending the people out into the streets, well, that is not called being a human christian, that is just plain greed! as any religion grows in numbers and power, it seems that greed and the hunger for more power starts to take hold of the church leadership. wonder how much wealth the catholic church has in it's vaults hidden away?? also wonder why they aren't following the teaching of christ and sharing that wealth with the poor. I mean, if they did, there'd probably be alot less poor in the world!!
na, if the world became all followers of one religion, we'd probably have witch burnings and all the other crap we had in times gone by being committed by that religion as they strived to maintain and grow more and more power, and wealth.

but, my point is, if 70% or more of the population were actually taking the teachings of christ seriously in the US, we wouldn't be having near as many problems as we do!!
christ's teachings can be summed up in one phrase...
do unto others as your would have others do unto you! how many times in a day have you had people act obnoxious, rude, or even threatening to you?? and, oh yes, I am sure all those bankers out there would love to have a scam pulled on them that destroyed the economy so badly that the jobs dry up and the mortgage can't be paid, or maybe it is paid off entirely! and have them take their home!! I am sure all those employers out there paying minimum wage would just love to have the kind of paycheck that they are handing out for them to struggle to stretch out for a week while the cost of living rises higher and higher!

nope, not a christian nation here!

First off, I will point out to you that the United States is not, and never was a Christian nation:

Article 11 of 1797 The Treaty of Tripoli clearly states, "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion".

John Adams is quoted as saying, "The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and whole cartloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity."

Thomas Jefferson famously stated, "Christianity neither is, nor ever was, a part of the Common Law."

The brilliant revolutionary, Thomas Paine said, "The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion."

That's a pretty telling indicator of how the Founders of our nation felt about Christianity, and its role (or lack thereof) in our Government.

I honestly don't find any merit in the idea that accepting and living by the "teachings" of Christ would have any positive impact on society. On the contrary, I believe that the continuation and expansion of such an archaic and unreasonable structure as Christianity will only serve to stifle human progress and imprison the minds of those who follow its teachings.

I have no doubt that Christianity, along with every other organized religion, is a blight on humanity that we would all be better off without.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I am personally of the belief that we, as humans, are emergent expressions of a universal consciousness comprised of vibrations of light. The best metaphor I can think of to explain my POV is that of a fungus. Fungal organisms exist as a network of mycelium (universal consciousness). Mushrooms(humans) are an emergent expression of that mycelial network. As I've expressed before, I believe we are spiritual beings having a human experience, and not the other way around.

Ok, I would say OF COURSE, I was shown the walls all buckling and the world as a scroll or storybook, illusion, and we are all looking in, with the Council or Higher Ups, during a CME in which I had contact.

But I don't think were' shrooms

Its just that, without keepign or striving to keep your Love pure or knowing what Love is, we have a hard time seeing through the traps here.

This study is pathetic as it is saying , beneath the lines, that some self appointed management here should lie to the society as a whole (santa is real, pat the child, who is actualy the employer and the head and smile sweetly from your false superior position).

edit on 22-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

What a wonderfully sober and clear explanation. I applaud you sir.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by draco49

and I would like to point out.....

I think we agree, the US is not a christian nation!!!

matter of fact, rebelling against the king, throwing a ton of tea into the sea, and all that was very, very, unchristian thing to do, at least as far as I was taught about the religion!! why, I almost say that would be about as bad as a wife being so disobedient to her husband that instead of driving to the store to buy his six pack of booze, she instead drives the danged car off a cliff!!

here is where we disagree, I do believe there is a god, and if you were to go through the new testament (if it's the king james version) and just read the words highlighted in red, well, first, you ain't gonna find that much that is anywhere near offensive, and second, you're gonna find that the estabished religious institutuions threw in a bunch of stuff that he never taught, some which aren't even in the bible really.

what would you like to do with the bankers, just asking here....
because well, this is how christ treated them!! he took a whip and drove the bankers of the day out of the temple!! I imagine society back then, at least the ones that held the power, thought it was a rather unholy thing to do, although he had a rather large following, so I imagine some admired him doing what he did.

you have the right to believe whatever you want, I also have that right, and it is fine to disagree. but, I think that we are both saying that this study is kind of bogus???

chirst rules individuals, on an individual basis, religions try to rule the masses!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join