It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Divergent Effects of Beliefs in Heaven and Hell on National Crime Rates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Divergent Effects of Beliefs in Heaven and Hell on National Crime Rates

www.plosone.org

First and foremost, these findings are co-relational, and thus reverse-causation and third variable explanations need to be discounted before causal claims can be firmly endorsed. However, at least two reasons suggest that a causal effect of these religious beliefs on crime is a plausible explanation for the pattern of results.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Nations that hold a belief in heaven and hell significantly predicts higher or lower rates of crime according to the study.

It also suggests that individuals who hold a belief in hell are far less likely to commit crimes compared to those who believe in heaven.

Only belief in God had a compelling effect on average crime rates over and above the effects of belief in heaven and hell, which remained highly cogent.

www.plosone.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Then why do atheists only make up 0.21% of the prison population? (US Federal bureau of prison statistics)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The study itself is rather flawed. Paid themselves less or more, seems to be more about, believing/indoctrinated into scarsity or believing in abundance.

Guess what, anyone who bears false witness about LOVE and GOODNESS above to control a society is a dark hat. And they don't get to do it anymore.

This is not to say there is no consequences, but their permanent hellzone stuff and promoting Love and Family above into their dictatorial smiting lies, is to not only bear false witness but it proves their pschopathy criminal slave master behavior.
edit on 21-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure economic background, education, community values, and parenting have a bit more to do with it. I suppose religion could fit into the "community values" part, but really? If you're poor with no education, from a single parent home, and you've never been taught the value of hard work, that makes you much more likely to commit a crime than nonbelief in a hell. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I'm a little confused as to the purpose and results of this study. Beliefs in both Heaven and Hell are inseparable (i.e. you can't believe in one and not the other, as they are diametrically opposed "options" in the religious view of the afterlife). I also cannot see how the potential societal benefits of belief in a supernatural punitive power could possibly outweigh the debilitating and limiting effects of such belief on the life of the individual.

The overall concept seems to be that, if your life is dominated by fear of eternal damnation, you're less likely to commit crime. I would counter that argument by saying that such pervasive fear creates a prison mentality, in which the individual goes through life basically confined to an internal mental prison. A society of people who allow their behavior to be guided by fear of real or imagined punishment is tantamount to fascism. It allows for the powers that be to manipulate this terrified population by reinforcing that fear and providing clear paths to avoid this punishment. Clear paths that support their potential agendas.

If anything, this study proves that religion is tool of social control that puts the interests of the individual on the back-burner in favor of the interests of those who administer this social control method (i.e. priests and politicians).

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Then why do atheists only make up 0.21% of the prison population? (US Federal bureau of prison statistics)

May be because atheists make up a far less demographic then other religions in various nations. As of 2008 76% percent of Americans practiced christianity.

wiki.com

The largest religion in the US is Christianity, practiced by the majority of the population (76% in 2008[4]). From those queried, roughly 51.3% of Americans are Protestants, 25% are Catholics, 1.7% are Mormons (the name commonly used to refer to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), and 1.7% of various other Christian denominations.[18] Christianity was introduced during the period of European colonization.

Atheists make up a smaller demographic than do other religions, therefore a reduced prison population is highly likely.

edit on 21-6-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

Those stats are about 5 years old, atheism is on the rise, but still using your stats the amount of atheists in prison is only 1/8th of what it is in the normal population. If it were half then I could reason it might be error, but 1/8th ?

edit on 21-6-2012 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

reply to post by Daedal

Those stats are about 5 years old, atheism is on the rise, but still using your stats the amount of atheists in prison is only 1/8th of what it is in the normal population.

Fair enough, but it still does provide a reason as to why this may be.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
must be a western thing... as very few christians in asia - outside the american puppet states and the crime rates are far lower in asia than in western countries ... amusing attempt at justifying the primitive barbaric superstition christianity ...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
must be a western thing... as very few christians in asia - outside the american puppet states and the crime rates are far lower in asia than in western countries ... amusing attempt at justifying the primitive barbaric superstition christianity ...

Would that be possible because of the "fear" of their government, I guess it would depend on what countries in Asia your talking about.
edit on 21-6-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I'm sorry, but if 70% + of the population actually practiced christianity, our country wouldn't be as screwed up as it is!! there's be more marriage, less divorce, fewer single parents, less abortions, more honesty. fraud would be a rare event, certainly wouldn't be to the extent that robosigning entailed!

matter of fact, if that 70% and more actually believed in heaven and hell, and all the other stuff they preach, they wouldn't have been so eager to jump on the bandwagon behind bush with his crusade against Iran!

nope, 70% and more have claimed to be christian when someone asked, and for at least some, the fact that they did that would prove that they don't believe in heaven or hell, because if theydid, they would know...

all liars will have their place in the lake of fire!!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Excellent point. I think the answer relates to intelligence. According to numerous studies, nicely summarized by USA Today:

The distribution of intelligence among prison populations shows the average IQ to be 86. That is 14 points, or one standard deviation, under the national mean. Approximately 15% of inmates score below 75 on the Wechsler Scale of Adult Intelligence-Revised. A score of 75 generally is considered to be the cutoff for identifying those who may be mentally retarded.

Other studies have consistently shown that the tendency to believe in God decreases as intelligence increases.
SOURCE 1
SOURCE 2

Looking at these two trends (lower IQ among the prison population, and higher IQ correlating to a decrease in the belief in God), it is quite predictable that atheism would be highly uncommon in a prison population.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by draco49

Considering if your sources are correct, and I'll admit I didn't read them all. Population and demographics are the main contributor, although intelligence will compensate for a small fraction.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
reply to post by Daedal

I'm sorry, but if 70% + of the population actually practiced christianity, our country wouldn't be as screwed up as it is!! there's be more marriage, less divorce, fewer single parents, less abortions, more honesty. fraud would be a rare event, certainly wouldn't be to the extent that robosigning entailed!

matter of fact, if that 70% and more actually believed in heaven and hell, and all the other stuff they preach, they wouldn't have been so eager to jump on the bandwagon behind bush with his crusade against Iran!

nope, 70% and more have claimed to be christian when someone asked, and for at least some, the fact that they did that would prove that they don't believe in heaven or hell, because if theydid, they would know...

all liars will have their place in the lake of fire!!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but corruption of the church and malevolent use of religion are as old as religion itself. The idea that if we all just became good Christians the world would be a better place, is utter nonsense. History has irrefutably shown that religion (more specifically, Christianity) is responsible for more deaths and acts of barbarism than any other single factor. How is fearing "the lake of fire" going to improve my life, or the lives of anyone? Is living in fear your idea for paradise on Earth?

I say we'd all be better off by casting aside these dogmatic, medieval constructs (religion) and embracing the unique human ability of reason and critical thinking.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by draco49
I'm a little confused as to the purpose and results of this study. Beliefs in both Heaven and Hell are inseparable (i.e. you can't believe in one and not the other, as they are diametrically opposed "options" in the religious view of the afterlife). I also cannot see how the potential societal benefits of belief in a supernatural punitive power could possibly outweigh the debilitating and limiting effects of such belief on the life of the individual.

The overall concept seems to be that, if your life is dominated by fear of eternal damnation, you're less likely to commit crime. I would counter that argument by saying that such pervasive fear creates a prison mentality, in which the individual goes through life basically confined to an internal mental prison. A society of people who allow their behavior to be guided by fear of real or imagined punishment is tantamount to fascism. It allows for the powers that be to manipulate this terrified population by reinforcing that fear and providing clear paths to avoid this punishment. Clear paths that support their potential agendas.

If anything, this study proves that religion is tool of social control that puts the interests of the individual on the back-burner in favor of the interests of those who administer this social control method (i.e. priests and politicians).

THey most certainly are NOT.

All that is, is Jacobs ladder, the frequencies, and regressions and progressions, in consciousness. There is consequence to harming another however there is also forgiveness. But a heart that commits crimes expecting to be forgiven is not a heart that is progressed and truly striving to grow beyond the shackles of this matrix school and learn to serve others and shine light.

But the idea that there is a permanent hell is extremely ugly and not from GOD/GOODNESS/LOVE and I've known that since childhood.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Excellent point!

Not that I am an athiest.

Its pretty easy for them to distort a study and bend what is known as cause and effect.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
reply to post by draco49

Considering if your sources are correct, and I'll admit I didn't read them all. Population and demographics are the main contributor, although intelligence will compensate for a small fraction.

I initially thought that population density and other demographics (economic, unemployment, age, and race) formed the strongest correlation with incarceration rates, but after researching the subject, found that I was mistaken. It turns out intelligence is actually the strongest correlating factor with incarceration rates.
SOURCE

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

I do agree with you about education, and poverty levels contributing to crimes. However maintaining a multi-point of view about different perspectives other than a single contributor can be helpful.

Also in the study they did give note to a separate study conducted about that very topic, "poverty, crime."

Thanks

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
They most certainly are NOT.

I'm assuming you are referring to my comment that belief in Heaven and Hell go hand in hand. In the context of the religious concept of Heaven and Hell, one cannot exist without the other. There cannot be a concept of darkness if there is no concept of light. There can be no concept of good without a correlating concept of evil. Bound diametric opposites, such as Heaven and Hell, are defined in relativistic terms in contrast with one another, and therefore cannot exist singularly without each other.

All that is, is Jacobs ladder, the frequencies, and regressions and progressions, in consciousness. There is consequence to harming another however there is also forgiveness. But a heart that commits crimes expecting to be forgiven is not a heart that is progressed and truly striving to grow beyond the shackles of this matrix school and learn to serve others and shine light.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Can you please provide a more clear statement?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join