It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US government backs off social media monitoring

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I'm not so sure it's about legality, since the kind of alphabet soup agencies who do this kind of monitoring really don't give a crap anymore about that kind of thing.

I think this is more about the lesson they have learned over years of putting millions of terabytes of useless data through their servers and having very little, if anything to show for it. Perhaps Echelon isn't working quite as nicely as they hoped it would, as it spits out millions of false positives which have to be laboriously and manually checked out in different stages.

If this means they're going back to the tried and tested methods of catching bad guys, such as making their monitoring specific instead of trying to monitor the entire world, then I'm all for it. The fewer wasted man hours and tax dollars can only mean better and more functional intelligence agencies.

Btw I get that they're only suggesting dropping US monitoring, but the US accounts for a significant chunk of transmitted internet data. Facebook people talking about barbecues etc. Even regular conversations, not the sort of ones you'd see on a conspiracy websites contain many key words which raise red flags on AI's like Echelon.
edit on 23-6-2012 by Lazyninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

Let them spy.

If you are doing nothing illegal, then they can enjoy the countless threads about video games, LOLcats and beer.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join