It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Painkillers now more likely to kill you than a car

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by swoopaloop

That's not bull at all. Instead of a Doctor Prescribing Opiates, prescribe them cannabis. People who like prescription pain killers are hooked because the doctor makes them take them because of an injury, not because they're heroine users.

People who are already addicted to opiates will not quit them just to smoke cannabis. With Cannabis legalization, less opiates will be prescribed, which would lead to less opiate addiction.

I'm not saying that no opiates would never be prescribed again because as a pain killer they are necessary for pains that Cannabis would not be able to relieve.

Except that Cannabis is a terrible pain killer for many things. While there are certain types of pain, and certain types of people that can get relief from Cannabis, Opiates are far, far superior in the pain killing game.

From personal experience, after I had surgery, Cannabis made the pain worse. It cause horrible throbbing and burning where I was cut open. I didn't make that mistake again. Opiates on the other hand, were quite useful in reducing the amount of pain I was in.

Like I said, Cannabis is useful for certain types of pain, usually aches and muscle pain. But serious pain, like getting cut up or shot up, kind of pain, it's useless. Even pretty useless for broken bones. And in my case, made the pain worse.

Someone was saying you don't get "high" if you are in real pain. That's not true at all. Again, during my surgery, coming DIRECTLY out of surgery in the "recovery room" or whatever it's called where they let you rest for a bit after surgery, I was in extreme pain, maxed out the amount of morphine they could give me, so they gave me fentanyl in addition. I was definitely "feeling" the opiates, even though I was still in pain. I think it just comes down to at that point, where you are in real pain, you don't care about getting high, only stopping the pain. But you can still be getting high off opiates WHILE you are in extreme pain.

posted on Jun, 24 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
It's very encouraging that this topic can be discussed if it's done in the right manner. Notice that no one is promoting the use of anything for recreational purposes and a discussion is being carried on that addresses concerns and issues instead of fighting over use or non-use.
This is the key in finding solutions to the problems.

Those who do suffer from chronic pain and want an alternative....

Although it isn't as convenient as taking an oral medication, or a medication of any kind, I do strongly suggest the use of TENS/ Interferential units. They have been extremely effective for me. The effects aren't extremely long lasting, but many units are extremely portable and well worth the investment.
I use this one at home:
empi.com...

and this one when I'm out such as work, or visiting or whatever:
www.lgmedsupply.com...

it has a belt clip, is relatively small and discrete and can be turned on as needed.

It takes more effort than merely taking medication, but it is effective and not doesn't introduce chemicals into your body.
edit on 24-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: typo

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by chasingbrahman

Pretty sure this whole thread is discussing it

Old people are addicted to opiates because they don't want to be in pain...and have the choice not to be. It's not a bad thing if they actually need the medication. Your body becomes physically addicted to opiates if taken on a regular basis. Stop looking down on people because they choose not to live their life in agony.

You're correct - this is the longest I've seen this type of discussion permitted on ATS - wahoo for information!

I'm sorry if my post left you with the impression that I "look down" upon anyone either in significant pain, or in a state of addiction resulting from these painkillers. I'm not sure how you derived your conclusion, unless you simply decided that since I despise opiates/opioids, that I must despise anyone addicted to them. However, I reserve my disdain for big pharma's push of these drugs to market WITHOUT enough information on how patients would move ahead with their lives without their pain, but with a new addiction. I've watched people in need of these painkillers become healed. The opiate addiction they acquired while being medicated put them in the ground withing three years. I'm furious about these painkillers being widely available because most people agreeing to take them are not first educated on how an opiate/opioid affects the brain, and that its effect can be permanent.

I'm not against these drugs.
I'm not against anyone who needs them.
But I'm FOR full disclosure. People need to know that these work the same effing way that heroin works, using the same chemicals which break the blood-brain barrier, and on the same receptors in the brain. Once it's in your body, your body knows no different.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I haven't been online for a few days. I use someone else's computer and work strange hours and this site is blocked on campus where I take classes.
Being out and about when the average citizen is in bed asleep, I see a lot of odd things. Those who are abusive of medications tend to be out more at these very odd hours. They stay up until 5 or 6 am, sleep most of the day and wake up in late evening.
Those of us on the night shift experience them in our lives a lot more than those who are on banker's hours.
I think my heart goes out to their families, especially their children if they have any. I was provided with a good childhood and I feel like I'm becoming a responsible adult now because my family was there for me.
I worry about the young ones who don't have family there for them due to the drugs or the alcohol or other reasons. How can we help them? I know the social services are already overwhelmed and can't step in to every situation that exists.
My aunt and uncle allow me to live with them while I build my life and credit (I'm only 21, not a 40 year old virgin living in my family's basement and I work 30 hours a week and take classes), without them, I can't imagine what I might get involved in but want to believe I wouldn't give in to that lifestyle. What can we do to prevent today's children from having to face those choices as they get older? I thank my family for helping me, but who is going to help the ones whose families are already involved in that?
Right now I'm taking education classes and thinking of possibly going into social work so the topic comes up a lot. It's good to get input from others who don't have that concentration to understand what society in general thinks about it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

So don't abuse them and you won't die.

No. Dont live and you won't die..

<< 1  2  3   >>

join