It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Painkillers now more likely to kill you than a car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartbreakerb

I think the number is low. I don't believe nursing homes and hospitals are properly attribute cause of death many times when there is something that they can easily point to. I would be there are many more people dying in nursing homes from medical.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by asala

Yes, it does seem to be the accepted way these days. I remember a cartoon from many years ago where they showed pills put on a plate, add some water and there was a fresh cooked meal that popped out. Granted, it was a cartoon, but the general idea was that everything could be solved with a little pill.

Today's crisis has been long in the making and it will be long in the solving, but we have to start solving now and stop losing so many lives.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I hadn't even thought of that one, and you're probalby right.

What else can we do that hasn't been done yet? There are rehabs, support groups, medications to help you get off other medications, substitutes such as herbs and concoctions that also mess with your brain chemistry.

We HAVE to get the pharmaceutical industry to bring forth the pain medications that aren't narcotic and stop pushing the ones that are. Between them, the big businesses of which they are one and the government, hey keep us under their thumb by making sure we are in a war we can't win.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Thanks
I like yours too

Well there are a lot of programs for people that abuse opiates. They can get on suboxone or methadone if they cannot handle going "cold turkey".

Other forms of treatment include replacement drugs such as suboxone/subutex (both containing the active ingredient buprenorphine),and methadone, are all used as substitutes for illicit opiate drugs.[55][56] Although these drugs perpetuate physical dependence, the goal of opiate maintenance is to provide a clinically supervised, stable dose of a particular opioid in order to provide a measure of control to both pain and cravings. This provides a chance for the addict to function normally and to reduce the negative consequences associated with obtaining sufficient quantities of controlled substances illicitly, by both reducing opioid cravings and withdrawal symptomology

en.wikipedia.org...-addictive_drugs

Threads like these tend to become anti-medication, anti-opiate, and anti-pharma. There are people that need opiates, just to function due to medical problems. They allow for people with chronic pain to have a quality of life that they wouldn't have otherwise. People REALLY need them. You can't ban them because there are drug addicts that just want to get high.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by amongus

Thanks
I like yours too

Well there are a lot of programs for people that abuse opiates. They can get on suboxone or methadone if they cannot handle going "cold turkey".

Other forms of treatment include replacement drugs such as suboxone/subutex (both containing the active ingredient buprenorphine),and methadone, are all used as substitutes for illicit opiate drugs.[55][56] Although these drugs perpetuate physical dependence, the goal of opiate maintenance is to provide a clinically supervised, stable dose of a particular opioid in order to provide a measure of control to both pain and cravings. This provides a chance for the addict to function normally and to reduce the negative consequences associated with obtaining sufficient quantities of controlled substances illicitly, by both reducing opioid cravings and withdrawal symptomology

en.wikipedia.org...-addictive_drugs

Threads like these tend to become anti-medication, anti-opiate, and anti-pharma. There are people that need opiates, just to function due to medical problems. They allow for people with chronic pain to have a quality of life that they wouldn't have otherwise. People REALLY need them. You can't ban them because there are drug addicts that just want to get high.

I can agree with that completely. My sister has MS and suffers on a daily basis and needs them to help her live. But the pharmaceutical companies have other options they aren't sharing with us because those other options aren't addictive and they wouldn't make all the extra money from those who abuse them.

I'm not trying to ban them, I'm trying to replace them with something more affective and less addicting.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by itswhatev

Opiates are physically addicting. If you take them for an extended period of time your body gets used to them and want more.

None of the alternative medicine works. If it did, word would spread and no one would be in pain.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

But I think there are some other medications that do work but they're being kept off the market because, like you said, there would be no more pain, and that would be no more money flowing into their pockets.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

There are people that have chronic pain and are prescribed narcotics in order to get through a day of work and home responsibilities. I would not be able to walk and take care of my children and home if I didn't have that medication. I take it with the utmost responsibility and have been on them for quite some time...but now, thanks to people like you, I have been marginalized and treated like a drug addict due to overhyping the use of pain killers.

You never hear the success stories or about the people it's helped, do you?

People who misuse prescription drugs were likely to become addicts of some illicit substance anyway.

People with chronic pain are not drug addicts. Get that through your self-righteous minds.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by Heartbreakerb

You are aware that methadone and suboxen themselves are addictive... And if there is no literature to prove that (I honestly don't knw) I know people personally who are addicted to both. In the end its just another pill to pay for.

Quitting cold turkey isn't really an option for people who have been on opioids for a long period of time.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

It may be the people like you who suffer the most due to those who abuse them. It's harder for you to get the medication you need, there is stigma attached, people look down their noses, it's ridiculous. My sister is in the same predicament. She needs them in order to function, then others abuse them just to feel good and it makes it harder on here. That's probably why I feel so strongly about it along with the deaths that occur from the abuse.

I'm sure if you had the option to have a different medication that worked better on the pain and wasn't narcotic, you would jump at the chance, just as she would.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

We definitely need the rehabs and the methods to help people get free from the addiction as well as to help those who actually need them to get free from the dependency after a more effective, non-addictive solution is offered.

I really do believe there are medications that are withheld by the companies because it would hurt their bottom line and it's killing our family and friends.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I absolutely would, but it has yet to come.
I don't understand why I feel guilty about taking medication to feel better.

Is there a pill for that?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

There are many non-opiate pain management pills. The problem is they do not work well enough for strong pain. Just to list a few;

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Any company that invented a non-opiate pain pill that works as good or better than opiates would have immediate profits. People with chronic pain have to take it until they die. There would be too much profit to pass up.

People that have actual pain are addicted to the relief of that pain more than the actual opiate.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

So don't abuse them and you won't die.

Oh how naive you are!!!

You obviously haven't a clue how addictive some of these painkillers are. Nobody is immune to becoming addicted and dying from them! You think people choose to be addicted to these pills? The darn doctors and pharmaceutical companies know how addictive they are and they don't care and why? Because it's MONEY in their pockets! It's like legalized drug dealing.

I can tell you of various people from all walks of life who had a normal life until some accident happened and they were prescribed a painkiller which then destroyed their lives, families, jobs and some even died.

To sit there and say "oh don't abuse them," shows you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I have seen good friends become addicted to these horrible pills. It is really sad to see and they didn't choose to be addicted to them! Do you even know what an addiction is?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Five years ago I injured 2 disks in my back and nobody would help because I had no health insurance. I am a small business owner and had to work. I was prescribed Vicodin 10mg. It didnt touch the sciatic nerve pain that I had in both legs, it just allowed me to remain optomistic because of the high it gave me. Since then, I have had 2 surgeries and got off the prescription. I occasional buy a few Vike 7.5 for the small pain I still have. People have Vicodin for sale everywhere because nobody really wants it because its weak compared to a 30mg percocet or Opana etc. I have a small addiction to vicodin, I crave it once in awhile. But I refused to become full blown daily user because once your tolerance builds...its all over !!! The medical business is making people addicted because of no programs to fix the problem that is causing pain, they just cover it up with pain managment and pain clinics . If you get injured with no health coverage, chances are you will get the addiction......

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

If you don't abuse them you're not going to die from them. It is a factual statement. If you don't get in a car, you're not going to die in a crash.

You obviously haven't a clue how addictive some of these painkillers are.

Sure, I do. I've been prescribed them many times.

Nobody is immune to becoming addicted and dying from them!

Did I say that?

And.....I actually do know all about addiction and opiates. My sister started off being prescribed morphine, she has nerve damage after a failed back surgery. Eventually she started abusing them, this lead to her shooting up her pills and then on to heroin eventually. Shes now in rehab and prescribed suboxone. She'll never be able to live without meds because she has chronic nerve pain.

The darn doctors and pharmaceutical companies know how addictive they are and they don't care and why? Because it's MONEY in their pockets! It's like legalized drug dealing.

This just isn't the case. Doctors (unless shady) will not prescribe you opiates unless you have a legit medical problem. They can have their licenses revoked if caught prescribing scheduled drugs incorrectly.

Some people have to have these pills, addictive or not. Without them they do not have a quality of life. Pharmaceutical companies are doing us a favor. Next time you're seriously injured and in pain, I'd like to see you demonize pharma for creating relief that is readily available to you.

edit on 21-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Reply to post by RealSpoke

I understand where you are cominmg fromn whole-heartedly... However I have to disagree to a point. Anyone who is a member of this websites knows how large corporations work.

A comnpany who makes it's money off of selling a pill(s) I'm sure would rather that customer be addicted to the pill than not. Its job security you know? If they had the chance to get rid of pain without the chance of a customer getting addicted I don't think they would move so quickly to change over.

If the tobacco companies had a way to make cigarettes without them being addictive do you think they would do it? No- because the only reason people continue to buy ciggs is BECAUSE they are addicted.

Having crohns disease I know all about being on pain meds consistently - and know how without them my quality of life would be reeaally sh###y- I also know how much these comnpanies make off of me alone and can only imagine the type of profits they see because of narcotic sales. I have no doubt that in the end it all boils down to $... Its good business to have a customner base who is addicted to what you are selling- and if they want to detox they have a pill for that, too much anxieity from being sober? They have a pill for that. Depressed that you are an addict- here is another pill... Pills to get you off of pills that were supposed to get you off other pills...

I do not think that if drug companies had a way of fighting pain as effectively as with narcotics- that they would fast track it. Just my opinion though..

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by swoopaloop
legalize marijuana and these problems go away. Uh oh! This whole post will now be deleted because I said one word.

That's bull.

People who like prescription pain killers, are in the most basic sense, HEROIN users. Don't get me wrong, I would very much like to see what you suggest happen, but it will NOT fix the "problem" of people using oxycodone, hydrocodone, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, morphine, codeine, etc. I honestly don't think there is a opiate user out there that would be like "yeah sure, I'll go ahead and NOT use opiates so that I can consume Cannabis" It doesn't work that way. Besides that, anyone that is using such opiates likely could also easily obtain Cannabis, yet they still choose Opiates, or a combination of the two.

Anyway,

How about we just sell Oxy at the local corner market? The government has no right to tell me what I can put into my body. None. They talk about addiction, well so what? Aren't people addicted to alcohol, cigarettes? What about people taking prescription anti-depressants? The doctors say it's OK to take a prozac every day for the rest of your life to "make you feel better" but for some odd reason it's NOT OK to take some oxycodone every day for the rest of your life to "make you feel better"

Tell me what the difference is? Why are there so many anti-depressants that are deemed OK for people to take because they feel down, but if someone came to the doctor and said "Yeah I'm feeling a little down, how bout' a scrip for some oxy?" The doctor would most likely kick him out of the office. Why? Who gave the government or doctors the right to tell anyone what they are allowed to take to make themselves feel better? As long as you aren't being a danger to yourself or others, they should BUTT OUT and let you do/take whatever the hell you want.

I still don't see how people OD on oxy and the like. Heroin makes sense. For one thing, you have no way of knowing the strength of the Heroin. You use too much because you are used to something weaker, and you OD. There is no excuse for that when using prescription painkillers. You know EXACTLY the strength of the pill you are using.

People need to be responsible for THEMSELVES and NOT pass the blame off on doctors or pharma companies. If you can't handle 320mg of oxycodone, then DON'T TAKE IT. First time trying it, DONT DO AN 80.

This stuff is just common sense. Honestly I have no sympathy for people that OD on such pills unless they took exactly what their doctor told them too, and it was too much. Then it's the doctors fault. If you get drunk while being prescribed such medication, it's YOUR fault. If you take to much, it's YOUR FAULT.

And before someone says something stupid like "oh you don't know" save it.Yes, I do know. Probably better than you, if you are going off of information based on simply knowing someone who is involved with such things and having no personal experience.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

I understand how large corporations work. There is already a huge market for non-narcotic pain pills. Now if they could only find that magical one that worked just as good. The potential for profit would be huge.

]Tylenol remains a top seller, controlling about 35% of the pain killer market in North America.

Annual revenue: $63.75 billion USD

en.wikipedia.org...

Pharma doesn't need people to be physically addicted to these drugs because people will purchase them as long as they are in pain. They are naturally addicted to the relief. People want to get rid of pain and there is no shortage of people in pain. This means they are guaranteed a consumer and guaranteed profits.

I'm sure junkies don't hurt their sales though.

edit on 22-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Marijuana isn't going to replace opiates. If you're dying and in excruciating pain, weed isn't going to cut it.

Plus most opiates are derived from a plant themselves, the poppy.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join