It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Painkillers now more likely to kill you than a car

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
now.msn.com...

Very unsettling news. Now you are more likely to be killed by the abuse of narcotics than in a car accident. The deaths by painkillers has increased 90% from 1999 to 2008, car accident deaths decreased by 15% and pharmacy robberies, to obtain the narcotics increased by 82%.

Every family that I know has had at least one death, if not more, due to the abuse of medications, including my own. How do we fight this and how to we stop all the heartache and loss?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Personally I can think of a number of people I've known who in the past 10 years or so have died from overdosing on opiate based painkillers, on the order of about ten people, one a year. And that's just in my own tiny social circle. I can think of maybe one or two killed by road accidents, so this figure comes as no surprise to me.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartbreakerb

So don't abuse them and you won't die.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartbreakerb
How do we fight this and how to we stop all the heartache and loss?

By spreading the word like have done with this thread! S&F

Drugs Are Used for Human Depopulation

It's all a part of Agenda 21... They need to thin us out in order to control us...

"Over 100,000 people are killed each year by prescription medications and another 2.1 million are injured. More people die each year at the hands of prescription medications than suicide, firearms, homicide, illicit drugs, or alternative medicine. Conventional medicine has no right to point the finger and call anyone else a quack!"
Source

"The medical industry is no longer to be trusted. We have a Medical Inquisition. The Rockefellers took it over way back and warped a lot of it. Our doctors are brainwashed. The Rockefellers are dedicated to population reduction and are using the medical industry to do it."

"In the Church of Modern Medicine, no one is excluded from the sacrifice. There's plenty to be afraid of. The God that resides in the Temple of Modern Medicine is Death. The doctors are priests, the birth certificate is the baptismal certificate, toxic silver nitrate applied to the eyes at birth is baptism, the nurses are inquisitors, etc. Research is the prayer of the religion of Modern Medicine."

“I do not believe in Modern Medicine. I am a medical heretic. I believe that Modern Medicine’s treatments for disease . . . are more dangerous than the diseases they are designed to treat. I believe that more than ninety percent of Modern Medicine could disappear from the face of the earth – doctors, hospitals, drugs, and equipment – and the effect on our health would be immediate and beneficial . .

"Confessions of a Medical Heretic" Dr. Robert Mendelsohn, (pp. ix-xi-xv) Source
Medicine has become a religion (WATCH this video!)

"So as you can see, there are a number of substances with various psychoactive effects that one can become dependant on to the point of needing it to 'survive' without the possibility of dying in the withdrawal, if it was a substance that can cause death or permanent damage to the brain."

"Modern science can easily reshape the molecules and make slight changes to 'turn off' the psychoactivity of the substance they wished to make 'sneaky' for purposes of mass population ingestion daily to the point of mass dependance."

"...the pharmaceutical companies know their medicines cause dependance and they know that they can charge any price because they know the person will go to any length not to suffer so horribly once addicted and pay any price.

Source

When Jesus was on earth, He NEVER referred anyone to a Physician

God needs no middle men. When Jesus was on earth, when someone came to Him for healing, He never referred the person to Luke, the “Physician.” Jesus healed the person directly and personally. And He healed him either with His Word – which we have today, in the form of the Bible – or He healed him with natural methods – clay, water, etc.

Jesus NEVER used drugs, although we know that some types of drugs were available in His time. When Jesus was on the Cross, He was offered a type of drug to ease His pain, but He refused it.

Lorraine Day, M.D.
Source

"Strong's concordance lists the word "sorcery" as: #1—a drug i.e. a spell-giving potion #2—a druggist or pharmacist #3 — a poisoner.

"Isn't that amazing. A pharmacist today has the same Greek title that he had at the time the New Testament was written nearly 2000 years ago, and he is still doing the same thing — dealing in poisonous drugs!

"The Bible says that "sorcery", or the use of poisonous drugs, has deceived all nations. All nations practice sorcery through the use of drugs, but they are deceived into thinking it's right. If a person is deceived, he won't know he is deceived, now will he?

"When I first became aware of it, my reaction was to deny it. Surely the word must have changed meaning. I looked in Webster's 2nd Collegiate Dictionary published in 1980 under the word "pharmaceutical" and I could scarcely believe my eyes when the definition read: "pharmaceutical"—the practice of witchcraft or the use of poison.

Source

"Our medical practitioners, while courageous and needed, are educated in schools whose curriculum and even text books are heavily influenced by the powerful pharmaceutical industry. With the exception of antibiotics, most of the drugs employed in conventional medicine are designed to act as chemical strait jackets, preventing the cells of the body from performing some function that has become hyperactive."

Source

edit on 21-6-2012 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Reply to post by Heartbreakerb

Well speaking from the viewpoint of someone who struggles with this everyday, and has for a few years now- the easiest way to prevent this is to make them harder to get. It really is ridiculously easy to find them on the street. Easy access + pleasant effects + addiction = massive problem.

The other big part of this is that I feel it needs to be treated as a Medical problem more than a criminal problem. You take someone who is hooked on pills, throw them in jail for 90 days what happens? They sober up yes- and then get out and go right back to getting high. Old habits are hard to break, you do what is natural to you. Jail for drug offenses is like a bandaid for a sharkbite... Granted major distributors would be a different story, there will always be a supply if there is a demand.

I just think the only way to face this crisis is to treat the problem, and that is the addiction. Making them harder to get would also not hurt at all. I hear they are coming out with new pain medicine that blocks severe pain (like a narcotic) but wouldn't have the "high" sensation along with it. That could be a perfect way to phase out narcotics or atleast keep them restricted to a point that they can only be administered by a professional... Though again if you don't treat the addiction the person just going to find something new until they kill themselves..

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
i think this just highlights that stress and individual stress levels are increasing in these difficult times, so people look for ways to cope. the best thing that can be done is make people aware but at the same time i dont think those statistics can really be compared against each other.
if a driver skids on ice or has a blow out, crash's and kills themselves its may not be there fault and may not have been preventable.
but someone knowingly 'popping' to many pills is preventable.

in regards to making them difficult to obtain, yes it would be better for people with addictive personalitys but not really fair for people who can control themselves and geniunly need them.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
they are talking oxycontin and vicodin mainly,,,that is a problem.....getting the word out is a start, I didn't realize the stats were that high..I don't know anyone personally who has od'd on these pain meds, but I do believe the article posted.

O pain reliever that doesn't make you high,,,that would be a good thing.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Heartbreakerb

So don't abuse them and you won't die.

Spoke, love your comments. Big fan.

But what about those, like myself, that have an addictive personality? It's easy to say don't abuse them, but some people are hard wired for abuse and don't know it until its too late.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I choose not to use them at all except in extreme cases such as post-surgery or a broken limb. From those experiences, I can see how people with lower levels of willpower could become addicted to them. A good similarity would be alcoholism vs. a social drinker. A social drinker can stop, and alcoholic can't.

I'm tired of watching family and friends die because of a pill. With the advances we have in pharmaceuticals, there is no reason an adequate pain reliever can't be developed that would not have the addictive effects of narcotics.

If anything in the world is a conspiracy theory, it would have to be the pharmaceutical industry as a whole joined with the corporations and the government to ensure each group continues to make money off the narcotics.

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer and they deal with the depression through the temporary release they get from illegal use of the prescriptions. The poor aren't the only ones though. Rush Limbaugh had the big story about him and oxycontin. Countless celebrities have publicized their trips to rehab. People from every walk of life and every socio-economic status have been affected.

Rehab is the in thing right now, everybody in the media talks about it as though it's commonplace. There's a commercial on tv right this moment about addiction. People are making money off this hand over fist and something needs to be done to stop it.

The medical research is too focused on hair growth and erectile disfunction to worry about making a medication for pain that isn't narcotic and isn't addicting. Where is their sense of "Do No Harm"?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
legalize marijuana and these problems go away. Uh oh! This whole post will now be deleted because I said one word.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by christafinias

I've been on prescribed pain meds for a chronic condition since I was about 16. I took them only as directed, slowly the mg went up, then the prescription changed- now I find myself at the age of 24 and I take between 3-4 30mg percocet a day. All prescribed. Granted I have since changed doctors (this was my family doctor who I had been going to since I was born) and am inm the process of finding other ways to treat the pain.

At the same time I am clinically addicted to them, in every sense of the word. That said I took them responsibly, as directed by my doctor. I can't count the number of people I know that are addicted to them, that started off for a legitimate reason as directed by their doctor. Not everyone who is prescribed narcotics get addicted without abuse however there are a lot of people who do.

If you have an alternative medicine that can't be abused but still treats the pain- why would there be a problem with having a med that CAN be abused restricted to only being administered by a doctor?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   

Originally posted by swoopaloop
legalize marijuana and these problems go away. Uh oh! This whole post will now be deleted because I said one word.

I can't believe we live in this # world where we can't talk about the plant that COULD solve a lot of problems.

link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

Although I have witnessed a few miracles in my life, they aren't commonplace. I do have faith and belief that it happens, but if it happened to everyone at every time, it would no longer be a miracle, but just a way of life.

I have faith that God is out there, I can't prove it, I can't disprove it, I believe it because I want to and will continue to believe it. However, at the same time, God helps those who help themselves. We have the technology, we have the knowledge, we have the ability. It is time that we use those things for a more nobel purpose than just making money or keeping our rich friends rich.

You hear stories all the time that there's a cure for cancer but it's being suppressed or there's a cure for AIDS but it's being supressed. There are many things that are supressed because the rich get richer off death and disease. It's time we stand up and demand that the pockets stop being lined and something be done about the suffering that people have to endure.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by itswhatev

You have a really good point. I don't know what I'm able to do to help you, but if you ever need to talk to help you avoid giving in, I'll be glad to listen. I know it's a battle but it's one we all need to fight together instead of expecting those who are suffering to fight by themselves.

With the jail sentences, not only is it not effective, during the time they are in jail, they find other people to network with and they become even more available than they were before the jail time. Jail is definitely not the answer, unless it's jail for the suppliers that don't even take them themselves.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by christafinias

I think the statistics were just showing that the number 1 cause of death has been unseated from one that couldn't be avoided in most cases to one that can. We went for many decades with accidental death from car accidents being the number one killer in America to the number one killer now being something that could be completely wiped out without affecting our ability to commute, work, vacation or basically live.

I do not, in any way, want people with chronic illnesses to go without pain relieving medications. I do want those medications to be non-narcotic as well as more effective.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Key word in that response is PLANT

it's a damn shame

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by itswhatev

Thankfully, they do call your case dependency as opposed to addiction, but you are still hooked on them either way. In your case, you need them, in the other cases, they want them. We need to find a way to provide you with the pain relief that you need without giving them the narcotic drugs they want and get addicted to.

I'm sure you would much rather have medication that isn't addictive or narcotic for your pain, as would most people in your position. We have the ability to produce those medications but they are choosing not to. There is no crime greater than that.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

There are many medicinal herbs that are often overlooked, many without hallucinogenic properties. However, without research and increasing the potency of the pain relief while decreasing the hallucinogenic properties, we can't move forward with them. There is a legitimate debate to be had, but the T&C clearly states that it isn't to be discussed and I will abide by that.

The concentration of the pharmaceutical companies needs to change.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartbreakerb
How do we fight this and how to we stop all the heartache and loss?

Legalize a certain herb that can replace these highly addictive and dangerous drugs?

Nah, that would be too easy.

edit on 21-6-2012 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think the problem is we have turned in to a pill popping society, Everywhere we turn its take this take that,
Fast acting, ect ect,

Even babies now have painkiller medicine, Its terrible.. No wonder people are getting addicted to popping something in there mouths,

We need to learn that its ok to have a little pain, it wont kill us.. light headaches can be cured from just drinking some water, But who does that? Its just ouch pop a pill..

edit on 21-6-2012 by asala because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join