It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immigration Policy Executive Orders by Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Fox News' response to Obama's change in immigration policy, the "Daily Show" host mocked Republicans for criticizing Obama for using executive authority to grant work permits and a two-year deportation deferral for students who arrived in the U.S. after the age of 16.

"George Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan—no president in modern history—has changed deportation policy through executive action, except all of them," Stewart said.

Ronald Reagan: "Ronald Reagan: " "I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally"

Ronald Reagan
Reagan Executive Order 12324 - Interdiction of Illegal Aliens

Reagan Executive Order 12582 - Naturalization requirements exceptions for aliens and non-citizen nationals of the United States who served in the Grenada campaign

Pres. G. H. W. Bush
Executive Order 12711 Deferred deportation of Chinese nationals and their direct dependents in response to the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. See Executive Order 12711.

President GW Bush
Executive Order 13269 of July 3, 2002
Expedited Naturalization of Aliens and Noncitizen Nationals Serving in an Active-Duty Status During the War on
Terrorism

Executive Order 13276
Delegation of Responsibilities Concerning Undocumented Aliens Interdicted or Intercepted in the Caribbean Region

These are only the orders I could find in a few minutes and there are certainly many more...GOP=BS

edit on 21-6-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Say it ain't so...

Stop destroying people's fantasy world where Obama is the first President ever to use an Executive Order.

Fox News told them so...it must be true.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Not this specific part, but the incident is being covered in this thread: Here.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Thanks for the heads up. Since I found/included the Executive Orders...this looks like additional infor and a worthy addition to discussion.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I applaud you for bringing them up and if I were a member here during those times I would be saying the same thing from this same soap-box. It isn't confined to just President Obama, but Presidents' Bush (x2), Reagan, Clinton, Carter, Ford, Nixon, et. al.

Nearly all presidents have attempted to expand the powers of the Executive.

ETA: The names I listed wasn't meant to say they also utilized orders to change the immigration policy, just the overall power-grab and disdain for the legislative process to "get things done".
edit on 21-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Fox News' response to Obama's change in immigration policy, the "Daily Show" host mocked Republicans for criticizing Obama for using executive authority to grant work permits and a two-year deportation deferral for students who arrived in the U.S. after the age of 16.

"George Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush and Ronald Reagan—no president in modern history—has changed deportation policy through executive action, except all of them," Stewart said.

Ronald Reagan: "Ronald Reagan: " "I believe in the idea of amnesty for those who have put down roots and lived here, even though sometime back they may have entered illegally"

Ronald Reagan
Reagan Executive Order 12324 - Interdiction of Illegal Aliens

Reagan Executive Order 12582 - Naturalization requirements exceptions for aliens and non-citizen nationals of the United States who served in the Grenada campaign

Pres. G. H. W. Bush
Executive Order 12711 Deferred deportation of Chinese nationals and their direct dependents in response to the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989. See Executive Order 12711.

President GW Bush
Executive Order 13269 of July 3, 2002
Expedited Naturalization of Aliens and Noncitizen Nationals Serving in an Active-Duty Status During the War on
Terrorism

Executive Order 13276
Delegation of Responsibilities Concerning Undocumented Aliens Interdicted or Intercepted in the Caribbean Region

These are only the orders I could find in a few minutes and there are certainly many more...GOP=BS

edit on 21-6-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

I think most of us are more annoyed that it is a election year tactic to get votes. Not the action iteslf.

But did you look at these or just find them?

Reagan Executive Order 12324 is not giving amnesty to anyone or work permits. Its actually to try to prevent them from coming in.

Reagan Executive Order 12582 says they are allowed to go through the naturalization process if they fought in a armed conflict for the united states.

Executive Order 12711 is in regards to Chinese immigrants and yes it is similar to the Obama one but not the same and Certainly not in an election year and it was after protests

Executive Order 13269 This was for those who fought after 9/11. I dont totally support this one but I understand it and not in an election year again and it was in his second term so it didnt matter if it was.

Executive Order 13276 This one is actually trying to tighten up the borders and how we deal with illegals so I am good with that and again. Not a campaign tactic.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheTardis

The fact that you might agree with some of the Executive orders vs. disagree is dependant on personal opinion or political view and does not change the fact that several Conservative Presidents changed immigration and deportation policy via executive order.

top topics

join