It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YOU are the key to your own freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Ok, so this may be quite a controversial thread but I think it is important to help people put things in to perspective and get out of the illusion of the shackles of life.

On a daily basis, people on this site and in the real world, complain about the government, corporate greed, how we are slaves to the state etc. and generally, in the past I have agreed and to some extent still so. However, recently, my perspective has changed somewhat. After years of earning a below average salary and with no major qualifications other than GCSE's and a few half A-levels, I have landed a great job, wouldn't say 'dream' job, but definitely a job that I will enjoy and will give me the means to live comfortably. Yes, the cost of living is still high, but relatively speaking, with my increase in disposable income, I won't really have anything to worry about.

I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and had a fairly poor (financially) upbringing but my mum always did everything she could as a single parent to make sure I wasn't deprived. It has taken hard work, dedication and a change of attitude (and also a feeling of having to prove the naysayers wrong) to get finally to where I never thought I could get.

Now I look back at my previous attitude towards the world and have to ask myself, do I genuinely believe that we are getting raped and pillaged on a daily basis and that we are merely sheep in a the government farm department? Or was my mind twisted and envious of those in successful positions, living a life of luxury and seemingly not giving a damn about anyone beneath them? There are a lot of greedy, selfish people out there but is the problem as bad as we think? Are we just finding excuses and conspiracies rather than trying to get in a better position ourselves become hell bent on bringing the successful crashing down and blaming others.

There are people who I know that are jobless, almost penniless and rely on government handouts to get by. Why are they in this situation? Is it because the government and corrupt corporations are suppressing them and forcing them to live this way? No, I sincerely believe it is a lack of trying and resting on the comfort that there are millions others in the same situation. Things need to change.

If we truly do need to bring down the greedy elite then what better way to do it than chase them down from their pedestals rather than trying to knock them off with stones while stood at the bottom. The weak bottom feeders will eventually run out of stones while the people at the top will only get more powerful.

If you are sitting on your bottom reading this without a job, without a dollar, stop feeling sorry for yourself, find your oomph and start to make a difference. It might take you ten years to get to a decent position but if you really push yourself and really believe in yourself, you can do anything you want. If you are already rock bottom the only way is up. If I can do it (and trust me, I'm nothing special), anyone can!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Any opinions, objections, agreements welcome...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I suppose everyone is happy to continue as they are then?

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I guess the truth really does hurt.
I couldn't agree with you more bro.

Here in the U.S. it's getting real bad. Entitlement programs are alot of it. Some states (including mine) offer up to 99wks. of unemployment now and there are so many taking full advantage of it without even trying to find a job. They just want to ride that wave till the very end....that's not saying everybody. Alot are trying and can't find a decent job, but alot aren't trying either.

I don't how bad it is over there in England, but here there just doesn't seem to be any pride anymore in so many people. I can't tell you how many strangers I here anymore talking openly about how they had to file bankruptcy, or their unemployed, or foreclosing on their home. Like it's all okay anymore because everyone else is. You can go to the store or restaurant and just hear people talking about it openly. Subjects like that used to be taboo...not anymore. It's sad.

There just seems to be a big lack of ambition anymore. This whole 'It doesn't matter... the government's going to take care of me anyway' attitude.

edit on 22-6-2012 by will615 because: spelling correction

edit on 22-6-2012 by will615 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by will615

Exactly. people have the same ethos here in England. I find it quite ironic that everyone is quick to blame the government for their problems yet rely on them to 'get by'.

A big part of the problem here is a warped view on pride. People are too proud to work out in a cabbage field or clean shopping centre toilets yet they seem to think it's ok to sit at home in front of the TV with 3 or 4 kids, smoking 20 a day and drinking. An extreme but all to common example. The funny thing is, these ARE the people that complain that their are no jobs and Eastern Europeans are stealing them all. Nothing like good old British pride!

new topics

top topics

join