It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Criminals Watching Prison Break in PRISON

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I was watching a prison documentary yesterday called "Lockdown"
they visited one of the most dangerous prison in California

Salinas Valley State Prison

Salinas Valley State Prison (SVSP) is a 300-acre (120 ha) Californian state prison located 5 miles north of Soledad, in Monterey County, California.

The prison consists of five yards: A, B, C, D, and E. Of the five, C is the most violent. The surrounding housing units hold level-4 and level-3 inmates, the two highest security rankings. E yard is a level-1 yard which houses, approximately, 200 inmates.

The inmates are segregated into five ethnic groups: southern Mexican, northern Mexican, white, black, and other (the last, including Asians and Native Americans). The whites and southern Mexicans have been waging war.

The prison had a gymnasium which, due to the prison's over-crowding, at one time had been converted into a dormitory but due to violence was shut down.

The prison also houses a Department of Mental Health Intermediate Treatment Program (Salinas Valley Psychiatric Program) to accommodate the psychological needs of inmates.

Psychological needs of inmates ? .. that last sentence make me wonder

During the documentary at one time someone was talking about what people do around the prison

Like watching Prison Break on TV .. (apparently their favorite show)

I was like .. "you got to be kidding me"

I have saw all seasons .. great tv show but extremely violent and it gives bad influences to the prisoners

Like showing how to create weapons
Like showing how you can kill an inmate
Like showing HOW TO ESCAPE

Prisons should ban TV or put them a show like Sesame Streets all the time
this is totaly IRRESPONSABLE to show Prison Break to inmates in their spare times
edit on 6/21/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
any show that that Glorifies prison life
should be canceled ...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The one thing I can definately agree with is that things such as tv's should not be allowed in a prison environment, with the exception of the need for use during legal issues, if even needed then. People are in prison due to commiting crimes, and concern over their items of pleasures is unfounded.

No tv, no cable, no weight room, nothing but hard work to pay back a little of the cost of their incarceration. If they need some form of entertainment, they make these things that people once used called books, and even then, there should be a little censorship to keep any material related to violence, drug use, etc. away from the population. If someone proves how hard they are trying to rehabilitate themselves, only then should ANY special privelages such as watching tv or lifting weights be allowed...if they need more excercise, they should just be working a little harder.

...and I have had family, friends, and family of friends spend time in prisons, and they all would agree.
edit on 21-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Prison Break was about as realistic a depiction of actual prison life as "Escape From New York". Most of the series depicted the protagonists on the lam while hunting down their father's CIA connections, so hardly instructional in the way of prison life. It's pure fiction. It's popular in prison for the same reason it's popular outside of prison, it's pure entertainment. I heard "Hell's Kitchen" is also very popular in prison - go figure, right?

Shows like "I [almost] Got Away With It", "Locked Up Abroad", CNBC's "American Greed" and MSNBC's "Lockup" offer far more realistic a depiction of prison or criminal behavior (well at least the behavior that will get you sent to one).

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
I have saw all seasons .. great tv show but extremely violent and it gives bad influences to the prisoners

Like showing how to create weapons
Like showing how you can kill an inmate
Like showing HOW TO ESCAPE

Prisons should ban TV or put them a show like Sesame Streets all the time
this is totaly IRRESPONSABLE to show Prison Break to inmates in their spare times
edit on 6/21/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

I wouldn't have thought that tv dramas can teach them these things, I would imagine such hardened criminals would already know how to do them, which is why they are in jail.

And the drug problem inside prisons is worse than on the outside.
edit on 21-6-2012 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
my brother did 9years in prison
he was given treats for good behaviour over his time
which ranged from a thicker tog quilt to radio then cd player then tv then dvd player
seriously he didnt want to leave and why would he?
i mean its no hassle, stress free, no bills, no commitments
he says he misses it

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
my brother did 9years in prison
he was given treats for good behaviour over his time
which ranged from a thicker tog quilt to radio then cd player then tv then dvd player
seriously he didnt want to leave and why would he?
i mean its no hassle, stress free, no bills, no commitments
he says he misses it

Depending on the prison .. some are real hotels indeed
that prison from California .. pretty sure he wouldnt like it there
and yet they show on TV prison break

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

yes that is very true
it was a decent prison as far as prisons go
had everything from jobs, weekly spending money, pool tables, gym, basketbal court
activities every other day aswell
plus the screws would smuggle in drugs and alcohol, and they made there own moonshine lol
pretty disgraceful in my opinion
a prison should be a cell and a bed
3 meals a day
no luxuries and maybe the odd activity for stimulation but thats it
i have no fears of prison if i ever happen to go 'down' for any reason then its all good

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Heres the issue though, in prison you are combining many people that are violent and are from different backgrounds. They are not dogs that simply be entertained by their tails, the people in jail are people too. Simply because they made a mistake does not mean they deserve to get dehumanized to the point that they get no weights, and must work all day. Many do get jobs in prison as shown in lockup and can get some creature comforts. These people must return to society at some point, (barring life sentences) imprinting psychological problems in prison due to desolation is not what rehabilitation is about. I don't like the prison system I don't think its the right way to change criminals into functioning members of society but that argument is for another day.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Who cares. Get a life.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
you realize these people are stuck inside a cell, inside a building, inside another building, fenced in with razor wire and guns, surrounded by people who steal, rape, fight, abuse, and go nuts.

If you think any concepts now known by the public would be helpful to them in escape then you may want to goto jail and talk to some people. They are the most creative bunch of people you'll ever meet, and it's out of necessity.

They have managed to figure out ways to do basic things that we take for granted, that if SHTF, they will be the ones to last longest, pending they get out in the 1st place, but once guards are gone, it wouldn't be hard.

Prison break was a fictional show due to the amount of editing magic, the sheer logistics in escaping would not allow for such a crew to carry out in most prisons now a days. I liked the resemblance to escape from new york and LA.

The things you should be limiting prisoners too is the internet, since that alone is a arm and a leg on free ground.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by strato

why post?
obviously you dont care so stay the fu*k out of this thread

top topics

join