It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian fighter pilot defects to Jordan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
"A Syrian fighter plane has landed at a military air base in the north of Jordan and the pilot has asked for asylum, Jordanian officials say.

Jordan's Minister of Information Samih al-Maaytah said the pilot of the MiG 21 jet was being debriefed.

Syrian state TV said a fighter plane, flown by an air force colonel, had gone missing during a training mission."

www.bbc.co.uk...
edit on 21-6-2012 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I was wondering why this story isn't on ATS yet. According to someone I have talked to, this has happened in the past already when a Syrian pilot flew to Turkey and asked for a refuge.

That is just too weird. Running away and taking a fighter jet with you.. Lol! I wonder if that pilot will talk to the media about the reasons he defected or if he'll prefer to keep a very low profile.
Btw, his rank is equivalent to a Colonel.
edit on 21-6-2012 by IsraeliGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by IsraeliGuy

Thats all it takes. Few to defect and pass the moral down to other branches of the syrian military. Remember the 1st gulf war when Iraqis surrendered by the thousands? I'm sure the pilot knew the grim reality of a conflict with the western powers even despite the russian and chinese political/military support(???).

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Shouldn't this be in the Breaking Alternative News section rather than World War 3? Just saying.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
There is one there. It woukld just end up here anyways since most think this syrian conflict will lead to WWIII.

Russia is sending the helicopters back to syria and this pilots defection is big news. Others may follow or syria may demand their plane back...which could make things interesting.

Originally posted by concernedcitizen519
Shouldn't this be in the Breaking Alternative News section rather than World War 3? Just saying.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Isn't this what happened in Libya during the Western backed rebellion against Gaddafi?
One leaves and the others see how well off s/he is and decide to follow?

Besides, the Russians won't be giving the Syrians their attack helicopters because the transport company is insured by a British company and had their insurance revoked because of it.

The only way they will be getting those helicopters back is if they freight them over land and then use the Black Sea to ship it down the Syria.

If Syria demands that MiG back then the Jordanians will have to comply or they will end up on Syria's target list when they decide to loose off a few of their Chem. weapons.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when the West intervenes in Syria we are going to see Iran's air power swell and their regional power rise significantly.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Ummm no...the helcopters will be going back: "Lukashevich confirmed the vessel was now on its way to Russia's Arctic Circle port of Murmansk to be transferred to the Russian flag and avoid the security inspections that vessels flagged under third countries must undergo."

Originally posted by Trajan
Isn't this what happened in Libya during the Western backed rebellion against Gaddafi?
One leaves and the others see how well off s/he is and decide to follow?

Besides, the Russians won't be giving the Syrians their attack helicopters because the transport company is insured by a British company and had their insurance revoked because of it.

The only way they will be getting those helicopters back is if they freight them over land and then use the Black Sea to ship it down the Syria.

If Syria demands that MiG back then the Jordanians will have to comply or they will end up on Syria's target list when they decide to loose off a few of their Chem. weapons.

I have a sneaking suspicion that when the West intervenes in Syria we are going to see Iran's air power swell and their regional power rise significantly.

top topics

join