It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Rectangle Galaxy Discovered

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I came across this article about the recent discovery of a rectagular shaped galaxy that was recently discovered that I thought ATS would enjoy. The pictures are quite amazing, especially the second picture showing the disk within. Our universe is full of surprising and amazing things, and finds like these may help us see where the future of our little planet and the galaxy we are a part of may lie.

Enjoy the story, and the wonderful pictures!

Astronomers have found a rectangular galaxy in a wide field-of-view image taken with the Japanese Subaru Telescope for Swinburne astrophysicist Dr. Lee Spitler.

The unusual cosmic phenomenon was discovered 70 million light years away within a group of 250 galaxies.

www.eutimes.net...

“In the Universe around us, most galaxies exist in one of three forms – spheroidal, disc-like, or lumpy and irregular in appearance,” said Associate Professor Alister Graham from Swinburne University of Technology in Australia.

“It’s one of those things that just makes you smile because it shouldn’t exist, or rather you don’t expect it to exist,” he added.

“It’s a little like the precarious Leaning Tower of Pisa or the discovery of some exotic new species which at first glance appears to defy the laws of nature.”

“One of the reasons this emerald cut galaxy was hard to find is due to its dwarf-like status – it has 50 times less stars than our own Milky Way galaxy, plus its distance from us is equivalent to that spanned by 700 Milky Way galaxies placed end-to-end.

“Curiously, if the orientation was just right, when our own disc-shaped galaxy collides with the disc-shaped Andromeda galaxy about three billion years from now we may find ourselves the inhabitants of a square-looking galaxy.”

edit on 21-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Wow!
That's where all the squareheads are coming from, chasing octopusses in their square UFOs driven by four cylinder engines running on high octane, landing on their four legs and hopping arount on their square wheels, singing in quartal harmonies while dreaming of their sweet homes made of 2 by 4s...
Edit to say: Thanx, I ♡ Universe

S&F.
edit on 21-6-2012 by trisvonbis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
The universe never ceases to amaze me. Think of the wonders that await for future generations when space exploration is done by many and not just a chosen few. Blows my mind... S+F

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Posted back in March

www.abovetopsecret.com...

but the search is a bitch
its under diamond
shaped

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
That is awesome.

Reminds me of this.

Thought you would like this too.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Hi star fans.

If you want to see LOTS of galaxies, and categorize some, see:
www.galaxyzoo.org...
www.galaxyzoo.org

Or, you can do it for molecules too:
fold.it...
fold.it/portal

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
anyone notice there is a linga (ellipsoid) in the middle of every galaxy?
edit on 21-6-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
anyone notice there is a linga (ellipsoid) in the middle of every galaxy?
edit on 21-6-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

I googled some pics of a linga and some galaxies to compare but im not seeing it. is there anyway you could put up a pic pointing it out.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think that's pretty cool, but I'd say it looks more like a prokaryote. The middle part is it's nucleoid. The different outer colored areas resemble the peptidoglycan structure. All it needs is some flagella for movement, but that's just all my imagination blended with microbiology.
edit on 21-6-2012 by PatriotAct because: elaboration

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

if you scroll up and down it looks like the galaxy is winking at you
cool find

edit on 22-6-2012 by pushmepullu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

it seems to defy physics.

I can't really think of how it makes that shape. of course, physics was one of my 'B classes' in high school and anyway may not translate well to understanding the shape of galaxies.

top topics

join