It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University Sponsors Campaign To Undermine "White Privilege"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I really find it extremely difficult to articulate just how totally insane our society has become and how frustrating it is to feel so impotent and helpless to aid in a growing, renewing or healing process as I believe that our country (and perhaps humanity itself) is well past the event horizon of its own demise.
I'm sure that I speak for a vast many ATS members when I say this.
God help us !!!

d-umn.campusreform.org...

This story was on a major conservative web page, however for some reason the story link seems to be on the fritz.

It is a major university located in Duluth Minnesota.

edit on 21-6-2012 by lapi7 because: additional information, link check

edit on 21-6-2012 by lapi7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I would love to see this "white privilege". I certainly don't have some special privilege because I'm white. I'm poor yet I work my a$$ off like everyone else. I only have what I have worked hard for and nothing else. No one is giving me handouts. Where is this white privilege??

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
For some reason UMD must have disabled this story page.

Perhaps they are receiving a bit of flack from it.

I received this message when I attempted to link in:

This is Google's cache of d-umn.campusreform.org... It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Jun 21, 2012 06:27:51 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. Learn more

Anyway, let's try this link (below) and see if it will get us to the appropriate page.

d-umn.campusreform.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The privileged people are the rich. Even if they are mostly white, it's a error in judgement to say that's why they are privileged. The money did that.
edit on 21-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Great PSA! It's hard for white people to see white privilege, so the people in the video make sense. I think it's something that we need to have a discussion about.

I can understand disagreeing with the message, but what's wrong with the university expressing their opinion about this?

It's interesting that the article uses the word "undermine" in the title.

: to subvert or weaken insidiously or secretly

: to weaken or ruin by degrees

MW

The article (From a conservative group) seems to allow that white privilege exists, but that UMD is trying to subvert or weaken it secretly... I think it's pretty clear that to weaken something, it has to exist... So, they are not denying that white privilege exists, they're just scared to death that someone is pointing it out and trying to get rid of it.
They WANT their white privilege.

edit on 6/21/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Great PSA! It's hard for white people to see white privilege, so the people in the video make sense. I think it's something that we need to have a discussion about.

I can understand disagreeing with the message, but what's wrong with the university expressing their opinion about this?

Are you kidding?

Like racism in itself, white priviledge is a myth proposed by the rich to keep us divided. See. whites aren't bothered by racial slurs...because its stupid to begin with. So ....they have to find something that will make whites just as angry as everybody else...so they lay on the guilt trip. that didnt work as intended either...now its a priviledge to be white...

Jesus Crackers and cheese sauce I really hope your just trolling. Anyone can see the implications of such a video.

I also felt free to leave a comment for the UMD to let them know just how stupid this is.

Just because they are guilty to be white, doesnt mean I am...and I sure as hell aint priviledged in any aspect.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

Originally posted by GrandHeretic
Are you kidding?

No.

Like racism in itself, white priviledge is a myth proposed by the rich to keep us divided.

Oooo-kay. Racism is a myth. Yup!

Jesus Crackers and cheese sauce I really hope your just trolling.

Someone disagrees with you and they're a troll!
If I'm a troll, report me.

I believe that white privilege exists. Not as much as it used to, but it's still alive and well. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it's not there.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I'm sorry but there is no "white privilege". I'm white and I work my ass off for what I have. I'm respectful, I do my job and not complain about it. I'm working my way through college while raising and supporting a family. I don't have affirmative action or the racism card to fall back on if I fail or need a crutch. If I fail it is my own fault just like everyone else.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by satron

I believe that this is just another attempt by certain influence peddlers to inflict a sense of more guilt onto the reflective self image of those who simply ( by accident of birth) just happen to have been born "white".

And to circumvent any "issues" that may arise prior to my addressing them, let me say that I certainly hope that my avatar does not act as a catalyst for those who might make instantaneous assumptions or who are prone to knee jerk reactionary judgments.

As a Civil War historian I display it as a symbol of my aversion to the current political "status quo".
It has NOTHING to do with race baiting or "slavery".

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by lapi7

I really find it extremely difficult to articulate just how totally insane our society has become and how frustrating it is to feel so impotent and helpless to aid in a growing, renewing or healing process as I believe that our country (and perhaps humanity itself) is well past the event horizon of its own demise.
God help us !!!

It's not our entire society.

It's only a small portion thank God.

This is another example of the Ultra-Left Super-Liberal agenda.

They love to drive wedges.

They never ever say one group is superior (unlike supremacists for example).

They use the "opposite" psychology tactic.

All started by the over-educated mental cases.

These commie-Marxists are only a small group.

They are stuck on stupid.

Normal people don't buy the BeeEss.

I wonder how many votes this will cost Obama

Has he criticized this yet ???

Hmmm.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Racism exists. So-called "White privilege' is something that happens in small pockets .. regionally. There is no nation wide 'white privilege' .. there is no 'dominant white culture'. This country is 3,000 miles across and the ethnic and cultural makeup of the country is diverse.

I think that university should spend some time watching Springer and Maury.
Time for a reality check about people making bad 'personal choices' and the outcome of those choices.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
After reading the article, and seeing the video, the following start from the musical Hair comes to mind:

I'm black I'm black
I'm pink I'm pink
I'm Rinso white
I'm in-vis-i-ble

The general feeling that I personally get from this video and article is this is not about white privilege, but rather making people feel guilty for the color of their skin. Affirmative action, other bills and laws that are on the books were designed to make the playing field level. Ultimately, this has led to a problem that it is now about skin color when it comes to education and jobs and not about the actual capacity to do the job. The past is gone and dead, yet people refuse to let it go, demanding more and more, ultimately it will cause more problems than it is worth.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

White priviledge exists only if your bottom line is a cool million. And if it really does exist, then perhaps someone should tell the other poor whites who don't feel it so they can cash in on being white.

Like another poster stated, Im white, I work my ass off, pay my taxes, and I don't get anything handed to me because Im white. The very premise is absurd in and of itself. I work for everything that i have, i stay off welfare, i don't get food stamps, and I view everyone no matter the color with the same amount of displeasure.

Racism is a falsehood created by the uber rich to keep the masses at bay...it is a method of control. It was used in the 1800's and it is still in use today. It is nothing more than a tool to program ones thinking into a common theme to suit a purpose. Only the weak minded find credence in such a dumb assertion. Racism exists because of ignorant asses like the one at the U of Minn pushing this guilt trip.

Im human first, and I just happen to be white after that fact.

Again, the idea is about as retarded as that guy who dances on the corner and sings off key to lady gaga in rush hour traffic while inhaling a box of twinkies.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
White priviledge allows me to get up at 430am to 5am .. depending on the day and start my day on my farm feeding animals and watering and then going to work.

White priviledge allows my to work there about 9-11 hours aday... depending on the day. And then come home and check on the animals again and then do some real work like planting corn and cutting up my knuckles running fence and barbed wire and sawing wood to sell for firewood to make extra money my white priviledge did not provide.

White priviledge allows my to go grocery shopping on Friday and go in with a budget and skip the things I want so I can get the things I need... and budget for gas...and bills... and feed.... and then the kids. Even grown...white priviledge has not kicked in for them so we help them out from time to time.

Yup, good old white priviledge has allowed me to do the things anybody else could do... luck and white priviledge go hand in hand.

The harder I work, the luckier and more priviledged I am.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
reply to post by lapi7

God help us !!!

It's not our entire society.

It's only a small portion thank God.

This is another example of the Ultra-Left Super-Liberal agenda.

They love to drive wedges.

They never ever say one group is superior (unlike supremacists for example).

They use the "opposite" psychology tactic.

All started by the over-educated mental cases.

These commie-Marxists are only a small group.

They are stuck on stupid.

Normal people don't buy the BeeEss.

I wonder how many votes this will cost Obama

Has he criticized this yet ???

Hmmm.

I believe that your assessment is correct.

However, I see this " Ultra-Left Super-Liberal agenda" growing exponentially and acting as a systemic poison which is ever increasing and becoming more virulent and populous each and every day.

The divisive tactics of promoting individual racial "awareness" is, in itself, partially to blame for the racial "totality" or "group" or "tribe mentality" that motivates minorities to see themselves as separate.

I don't believe that this will cause Mr.Obama to lose any votes or any sleep. LOL.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by lapi7

I think it is awful, if whites have privilege what about affirmative action?

At one time we can agree whites were more privileged, but for some reason the left keeps trying to resurrect an almost dead issue, all this does is create a greater divide and more hard feelings.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I remember when I used to agree with you on all of this.
But between then and now, I learned a WHOLE lot about being a non-white person in the US. It has been a very educational and eye-opening journey. I realize now that I didn't really understand what it all meant... Walking a mile in others' shoes does a world of good to understand what the heck people mean when they say things like "white privilege"...

But we all have our opinions and that's a beautiful thing.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't allow my children to attend a school where an add campaign like this was being run.

The color of my children's skin has not given them special privileges.

In fact, I was told that my son was "white listed" and as such he didn't qualify for financial assistance while in college. He did get a couple of smaller scholarships (in the $500) range when he got to be a junior and was one of the top engineering students.

If my kids were looking at colleges now, the University of Minnesota, Duluth would be off the list.

People need to vote with their feet and their money. If you're an alumni, will you continue to support this dribble?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
white privilege, it confers privilege on my 3 year old and 5 year old child simply because they have white skin

The best start they are getting is coming frmo a stable loving 2 parent home, we ain't rich, those group think division anti white merchants should be consigned to history

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I'm white.

I've been denied loans.

I've been laid off from jobs.

I've applied to jobs and never heard back.

I applied for a job at the post office and scored 97 on the test. Back ten you got 15 extra points if you were an underrepresented minority. You got 10 extra points if you were a veteran. You got another 15 extra points if you were a wounded veteran. So even though I got one of the highest scores on the test, they were only hiring if you had more then 105 points.

I had to pay for my kids college.

I had to work 2 jobs much of my life to pay the bills.

Until recently, I only could afford used cars. I had to repair them myself because my white privilege wouldn't pay the mechanic.

Nothing was handed to me because of my skin color. There were no affirmative action programs for me. I put myself through college and then put myself through grad school while working a full time job and raising a family. Sleep deprivation was my friend.

If someone would please tell me how I can make a buck off my white privilege I'd love to hear it. Now, the economy is in a shambles, I'm approaching retirement and I don't know how I will survive. I really need to cash in on my white privilege now!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join