It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Admin. Uses Prison Labor to Advance Green Energy Agenda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
story from The Blaze
June 20, 2012 -- by Becket Adams

The Big (Green) House: Obama Admin. Uses Prison Labor to Advance Green Energy Agenda

Great news for a change !!!

Obama really IS creating jobs !!

American jobs !!

For prisoners that is.

All for the betterment of the Green plan too. ummm juicy. Lip smack'n juicy.

AND, this example is solar panel manufacturing right here in River City.

But, the company is NOT American it seems !!!!!

They are in Taiwan

The Obama administration is using prison labor to help “advance its green energy agenda,” according to a shocking new report from the Washington Free Beacon.

“Hundreds of federal inmates earn between $0.23 and $1.15 per hour manufacturing solar panels at UNICOR facilities in New York and Oregon. The panels are then sold to a variety of government agencies, which are obligated by law to purchase them [emphasis added],” Andrew Stiles reports for the WFB.
long story -- read it and wake up

here's the link to the government contract --> Solicitation Number: EP2536-09

here's the link to the related article --> Green Energy Gulag

Another example of circumvention.

Corruption Incorporated at it again !!

Unemployment is 8.2%

How do ya like it NOW ?

edit on Jun-21-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Prison labor is going to continue to become a larger portion of manufacturing in the United States. Foreign companies will begin establishing large Prisons/dormitories along with the factories which will produce goods within the borders of the United States but at third world labor costs. This will enhance profits as they will be exempt from many of the taxes and other tariffs that tend to eat into the bottom-line.

The prison industrial complex is growing larger, and more powerful. Many of today's children will be tomorrows prisoners, working as slaves, legally sanctioned by our government.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Maybe I'm missing something important, but to me, this looks like a GOOD thing... Jobs for prisoners, job training for when they get out, cheap labor and the furthering of Solar power and energy independence... Is this part of his prison-to-work incentive that he promised?

Can you specify what's wrong with this? (Is it because it's something Obama is doing?)

www.politifact.com...

Your source says that "hundreds of federal inmates in Oregon and New York" will participate. Hardly the "ARMY of prisoners" your source claims...

Oh! I think I found the problem your Republican representative has...

The biggest and most obvious problem here is the fact that none this benefits the private sector.

The private sector isn't going to go green all by itself. There aren't enough immediate profits to the oil industry. It looks to me like Obama is finding a way to advance green energy in a very cost-effective way...

This is still looking like a good thing overall and I'm not at all surprised that the likes of Mitch McConnel is poo-pooing the idea as much as possible. Sorry. Mr. McConnel has the distinct honor of being someone whose words mean NOTHING to me.

Edit: Oh, I see... The evil minds of the Obama administration are going to grow prison labor to the point that it eventually "takes our jobs"... Sometimes it seems like there's an ATS contest to come up with the most extreme conspiracy theory (without any facts to back it up) and the most wild and crazy one gets the most stars! It's like a game!
edit on 6/21/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
"Slave labor" and "forced to buy from them" and that is supposed be a GOOD thing? Creating useless jobs for useless products for a foreign company with felon labor while good law abiding citizens have jobs taken from them...I can't even go on....the liberal thought process is messed up and childish I will NEVER understand it.
edit on 21-6-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
(Is it because it's something Obama is doing?)

Oh! I think I found the problem your Republican representative has...

The biggest and most obvious problem here is the fact that none this benefits the private sector.

Nail. Head. Contact. It's bad because it's Obama doing it and some Republican somewhere isn't making a ton of money from it.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I'm all for prisoners doing something useful. Green energy isn't useful. It's just a code word for liberal money laundering.

$9 Billion in ‘Stimulus’ for Solar, Wind Projects Made 910 Final Jobs -- $9.8 Million Per Job

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Green energy isn't useful.

Well, if that's your basic assumption, then I can understand your position. But let me tell you, it's useful to us! We get free energy from the sun - and when and if the grid goes down? We're gonna be fine. And that's VERY useful to me.

Do you have any green energy in your home? You should try it! I LOVE free energy!

edit on 6/21/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
UNICOR is owned by the Federal Government.

What Is UNICOR?

Federal Prison Industries (commonly referred to as FPI or by its trade name UNICOR) is a wholly owned, Government corporation established by Congress on June 23, 1934. Its mission is to employ and provide job skills training to the greatest practicable number of inmates confined within the Federal Bureau of Prisons; contribute to the safety and security of our Nation’s Federal correctional facilities by keeping inmates constructively occupied; produce market-priced quality goods and services for sale to the Federal Government; operate in a self-sustaining manner; and minimize FPI’s impact on private business and labor.

UNICOR Federal Prison Industries, Inc.

BTW, anyone who supports prison labor as opposed to regular jobs for normal people needs to have their head examined !!

unemployment is 8.2%

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
They should stick with having them clean roadsides and an idea of mine....for all the greenies out there...have the felons pick through the landfills for recyclables and resellables that's how they can be productive and be punished at the same time.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Originally posted by timetothink
They should stick with having them clean roadsides and an idea of mine....for all the greenies out there...have the felons pick through the landfills for recyclables and resellables that's how they can be productive and be punished at the same time.

So, it's not that you condemn the idea of prisoners doing productive work for the government for environmental good, you just don't want them working for OBAMA'S administration doing productive work for environmental good?...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
UNICOR is owned by the Federal Government.

What Is UNICOR?

Federal Prison Industries (commonly referred to as FPI or by its trade name UNICOR) is a wholly owned, Government corporation established by Congress on June 23, 1934. Its mission is to employ and provide job skills training to the greatest practicable number of inmates confined within the Federal Bureau of Prisons; contribute to the safety and security of our Nation’s Federal correctional facilities by keeping inmates constructively occupied; produce market-priced quality goods and services for sale to the Federal Government; operate in a self-sustaining manner; and minimize FPI’s impact on private business and labor.

UNICOR Federal Prison Industries, Inc.

BTW, anyone who supports prison labor as opposed to regular jobs for normal people needs to have their head examined !!

unemployment is 8.2%

Based on this alone. I would like to see the pension package that the "lifers" get for all of their work and "cheap Labor" as BH so eloquently put.

So, its all about "cheap labor" now.. Garbage IN:Garbage OUT. Just look at the quality that cheap labor turns out in China.

ETA

The only prison labor I would vehemently support is work for the public. Picking up every scrap of trash on our highways, cutting grass, trimming weeds, cleaning up vacant govt. owned property, etc etc..
edit on 21-6-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
UNICOR was around LONG before Obama. They make everything from prison/military uniforms, furniture, license plates, signs, linens, they print books, operate call centers, and recycle electronics (and a lot more)

Not only are they jobs for inmates but they offer experience and training for when those inmates are released from prison and have to rejoin society.

Trying to single out one of the items they handle (solar panels) as opposed to say, filing cabinets, just shows the partisan attack agenda being promoted in this lame rant.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

They are doing useless "created" work....they are forcing this green tech that is not wanted by the public yet and is not affordable to the normal person....if the free market wants it let it develop, and they pay citizens living wages to do it. Don't give good jobs to lowlifes, they are supposed to be being punished...and it's hurting law abiding citizens looking for work.....your love for your leader is blinding your bleeding heart to the fact that he is purposely putting people OUT of work instead of the other way around.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Here's the funny... ha ha part. $9billion in stimulus was SPENT "Green" energy projects from Solar to Wind and only ended up creating 910 permanent long term jobs. That's $9.8 million PER job. We all know about Solyndra and the fact that they could never compete with China from the very start. All that cheap labor and all.

So, whats the new solution... using prison labor. Our new answer to cheap labor in the competition with China. Screw tariffs stricter trade agreements and all that nonsense. What's next? Mandatory labor duty for all of those receiving Pell Grants and Govt. backed Student loans as part of the agreement if you end up behind in your payments.

Everyone talks about learning new skills and I can see that rationale however, teaching skills specific to the green market will not serve them well because the private sector in the Green industry sucks and clearly uses less labor judging by the $9.8 million per job figure than other industries. What jobs will be waiting for them when they are released? Can the private green sector ever compete with China without "Cheap Labor" in the US? The inability to compete was one of the major reasons cited for Solyndra's failure.

Perhaps Obama should focus on creating a business climate and market that would level the playing field for US Based companies in ALL industries that compete with China.

cnsnews.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The US has the largest prison population on the planet per capita, it places more non violent offenders in jail than any nation on the planet, and it's building new super max prisons to house even more prisoners.

So it's no big surprise that the government wants to make their money off of them. Who was complaining when they were making license plates or other kinds of things for the states?

Nobody.

Who cares that they are making solar panels which are already ordered and paid for, considering they HAVE to buy them to retro fit the buildings or whatever.

Obama would NEVER be able to get a green jobs initiative rolling even if he wanted to. The GOP would just block the hell out of it. It's a lame duck congress after all, they'll do anything to obstruct it.

I'm not for Obama on this, I think the idea is stupid, but get it done the way you need to.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

“Hundreds of federal inmates earn between $0.23 and $1.15 per hour manufacturing solar panels at UNICOR facilities in New York and Oregon. The panels are then sold to a variety of government agencies, which are obligated by law to purchase them [emphasis added],” Andrew Stiles reports for the WFB.

But here is the problem....it is the government creating a false need for a product, using felon labor then requiring government agencies to purchase only that product...so you have government owning the means of production (what's that called again?), using taxpayer money for a "created need" and not utilizing private industry or competition to get the best product at the best price....and I am not saying this is the only time they do this, this is our screwed up government at work....our government should be running businesses, producing products etc......protect us and our borders, then get out of our lives and business.

reply to post by tothetenthpower

top topics

join