It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic abuse in China. "Women have no rights".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Ive been recently alerted to the lack of social and governmental support for victims of domestic violence in china. Women and children are the main victims, and there seems to be very little help for them.
My attention has been brought to a public figure named Li Yang. This monster is known for severely beating his wife Kim Lee (once flying from one city to another just to beat her while she was pregnant), and yet his business and public image is hardly affected.

"They [Australian Broadcasting Cooperation] asked me why Chinese laws are so poor," said Kim. "They simply couldn't understand how nothing could happen after the husband beats wife in China. They wondered why I didn't just return to the United States, but mostly they were concerned that there is no law against domestic violence in China."

SOURCE

The above quote was made by Kim Lee, the estranged wife of "Crazy English" founder Li Yang.
She is an American woman who went public about the violence she suffered at the hands of Li Yang, and has become the voice for women who suffer the same violence. The problem she is now highlighting is the fact that she can up and go back to the US, but unfortunately Chinese women have nowhere to go. The police don't do anything about it, instead viewing women reporting abuse as "airing dirty laundry"
I really admire this woman for staying in china and trying to bring this issue to the media there, and abroad.
Her estranged husband Li Yang came out and apologized for his actions, only to go on beating her and trying to down play the claims.

He "wholeheartedly" apologised to his US wife and three daughters for "committing domestic violence". He added: "This has caused them serious physical and mental damage". Mr Li's statement came more than a week after his wife, Kim Lee, posted photographs of her bloodied and bruised face on the internet, opening her husband to a barrage of criticism.

Telegraph.co.uk SOURCE

Then on April 9th 2012 he sent her a barrage of texts threatening to kill her.

"In America you should be killed by your husband with gun. This is the real American way. You're so lucky to be in China!" Li wrote in the message, according to the Weibo entry. "I will not be a victim! I am a woman. I am a mother. You break laws but I must keep reporting to police. I struggle so the women behind me won't have to!" said Lee on her microblog.

SOURCE

If you click on the source you can read more of the conversation between the two.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to paint a negative stereotype of Chinese men, just highlighting the domestic violence issue there.

I'm having trouble getting exact figures, but I did read that 1 in 4 women are victims of domestic abuse in China.
More articles:
Chinese law
Crazy English Accused
Kim Lee unlikely hero

Article about "Crazy English" and it's founder:
Crazy English

It breaks my heart to see this happen in any nation in the world, but I really feel for these poor Chinese families.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

China does not have an independent law on domestic abuse, Xinhua reported, and only a few laws, such as a marriage law, address the crime.

A quarter of Chinese women suffer abuse-Reuters

The above article covers a survey done by the All-China Women's Federation (ACWF) and the National Bureau of Statistics.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this isn't isolated to a few backward countries. This is a worldwide phenomenon, due to patriarchal views that stripped women of their sovereignty. Personally, giving birth should mean something in this world. Especially knowing now that men are not needed. We freeze what we need now, for a later time.

Not that nature wouldn't provide, should man die out. Women would hermaphrodite. Unfortunately for men, we are the true key. Even without them, we would learn how to begin again. Evolve and adapt. God's little insurance policy. This is my opinion, only. Nothing more.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
No concern of mine. Different races have different cultures and those cultures dont always see eye to eye.
Hell, we have enough of our on problems, no need to concern ourselves with others problems.s
Besides, the Chinese leader (or whoever it was) made a good point to Obama a few weeks ago regarding human rights issue.
He specifically mentioned how the Occupy protesters were treated. Nothing came out of it but it was cool that he called him out on it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

Psychology : this man must be beaten up by his parents when he was young, that's what he saw how his parents release their anger. He's main idea to be successful is not he really wants to teach english, but he wants to have a glamour life. If the society allowed him keep continuing his wrong behavior that will lead him to a strong criminal.
Culture: In Chinese culture there's only 'beat children' due to the old saying "failing to educate the child is the fault of the father”, but definitely not "beat wife". It's not a culture issue, it's a humanity issue. This person got serious criminal potential.

In general, as a role model of millions of kid in China (by teaching english) all his public action should be banned. Cause it's not good for young people at all. Media should push China make such law to protect women and serious child abuse.
Much respect for Kim.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

No concern of mine. Women are race-culture property.

Thank you for being so very clear about your views.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SibylofErythrae

No concern of mine. Women are race-culture property.

Thank you for being so very clear about your views.

Hell man, with the problems my country is facing, something like this rates about a 2 on my give o' crap meter.
They arent the only culture that women are treated second class anyway.
Ever hear about Muslim honor killings? Fathers killing their own daughters or wives for "dishonoring" their family?
But, like I said, isnt my concern

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
It's interesting that a man can beat a woman he doesn't know, and the Chinese government have laws to punish him. But if it's his wife, it's deemed as "none of their business".

As far as the attitude of "not my country, not my issue", if we all thought like that there would be no foreign aid helping the starving in Africa. No women risking their lives to travel to Afghanistan to help the repressed women there etc (you get my point). You may as well limit it to your own house, "not my family, not my issue".
The abuse of ANY human in ANY country should be a talking point in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It wasn't more then a few decades ago that this type of attitude was acceptable in america.

even

Originally posted by AriaStarr
Unfortunately, this isn't isolated to a few backward countries. This is a worldwide phenomenon, due to patriarchal views that stripped women of their sovereignty. Personally, giving birth should mean something in this world. Especially knowing now that men are not needed. We freeze what we need now, for a later time.

Not that nature wouldn't provide, should man die out. Women would hermaphrodite. Unfortunately for men, we are the true key. Even without them, we would learn how to begin again. Evolve and adapt. God's little insurance policy. This is my opinion, only. Nothing more.

Crazy 'chip on there shoulder' feminist views do more damage then good IMO
If all men just die out you wouldn't just sprout a penis evolution takes millions of years

edit on 20-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AriaStarr

Lmao, yea go grow your penis, its what you feminists want anyway.
Evolution can go both ways though, just ask a male seahorse.

link

Although it is common for male fish to play the dominant parenting role, male pregnancy is a complex process unique to the fish family Syngnathidae, which includes pipefish, seahorses and sea dragons. Texas A&M University evolutionary biology researcher Adam Jones and colleagues in his lab are studying the effects of male pregnancy on sex roles and sexual selection of mates and are trying to understand how the novel body structures necessary for male pregnancy evolved. By doing this, the researchers hope to gain a better understanding of the evolutionary mechanisms responsible for changes in the structure of organisms over time.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

The difference is something is easier to change, something is harder to change.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cordyceps

How do you mean?
Easier to change public perception etc, harder to change government rules?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

I'd agree if there weren't vats upon vats of frozen sperm stored away for a rainy day.

Who knows. There might be a reason and purpose for such things existing. Who knows? It certainly isn't any more crazy than believing a secret organization is hell bent on leading us all to hell through subverted devil worship. Or that aliens have invaded our space and seek to infiltrate the masses. Or that the government has lists of the desirable, who will be taken into the protective areas when all hell breaks loose. Dear God in heaven - And my views are extreme???

Please explain how extreme feminist views compare in regards to other subject matter on this site.

I'm a piece. I like to cause a stir, rile up emotions. At least get something out of a discussion besides polite platitudes. I don't see anything about that of myself changing - any time soon. I've given everyone a hard time my entire life. It's just built into me - to challenge everything I am told by everyone I know. I'm polite, but blunt. I will speak my mind as I see fit, and it is my prerogative to change my views at anytime.

If women in China are degraded and abused, they will, as women did in America and Britain and Australia with each of their Women's Right's Movements - fight for change. Sucks. But that's life. Stand up for yourself - or get in line. I'll take my place at the top of the ladder thank you. I've filled all roles in life. Man - woman- mother - friend and other. It's a transgender world. The lines of distinction are already blurred and nearly gone.

edit on 21-6-2012 by AriaStarr because: misspell

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Love how this thread is getting very little attention compared to the "Men's rights" thread.

I would love to see the shocked faces of ATSer's who want to return to the golden age of traditional families after reading this! the question on their lips: "What do you mean the traditional gender roles of men and women are not working together over in big ol' China!?"
Though i wouldn't be surprised if the anti feminists steered clear of this thread - It doesn't support their silly claim that feminism is evil rar rar rar!

Though the OP is right, its not every chinese man that beats his wife, but 1 in 4 is alot when china's population is almost 1.5 BILLION. And lets not forget, domestic violence affects all social classes in society.

I wonder how long it will be before feminism reaches China and free's women from the tyranny of patriarchy. More power to them i say!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Feminism is another ideology, like democracy, that has its roots in individualism.

In a collective, your individual pain or the pain of a specific group is considered a necessary evil and you bringing attention to it is painful and therefore you as the source of the pain are the problem. Shut up and suck it up for the group buttercup.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Bumping this thread because i feel like it deserves more coverage.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   
As a witness to and victim of domestic violence throughout my childhood, I have to say that it is the duty of all to advocate for the freedoms and rights of others.

This woman is inspirational. Her husband is an ignorant coward who lacks self control. Her children should be very proud of their mum.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
domestic abuse occurs in every country always has ... always will until humanity grows up ...

funny all the laws against domestic abuse over there in america yet I dont see a thread on that ... yet another attempt at china bashing is all this thread is... clean up your own house before worrying about your neighbors house ...

all the laws in the world wont change human nature ...
edit on 25/6/12 by Expat888 because: translation error ... grr english bloody limited language ...

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You can't be a doormat unless you lie down first.
Both genders are to blame.

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by VforVendettea
You can't be a doormat unless you lie down first.
Both genders are to blame.

Please define how that works in your head. I've seen this before, but exactly what is it that you think women should be doing?

In Africa the "sex strike" seems to work so well. There is also the laws and restrictions on women purchasing weapons, even if they have the resources to do so. They have to be willing to do things to the men in their life, and usually the other men in their life will back the abuser. They could organize, but then they are kept to busy to do so.

Exactly *what* is it that you think that the doormats should do?

top topics

join