It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor grounds planes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaKaElectric

(AP) -- Authorities grounded firefighting aircraft battling an out-of-control blaze scorching central Colorado on Wednesday, reacting with caution to witness reports of meteor sightings.

The temporary move came amid several reported sky sightings near the fire burning 1,100 acres, or nearly 2 square miles, west of Colorado Springs.

Chaffee County Sheriff W. Peter Palmer said his office received multiple reports, including one person who thought a meteorite might have landed in a wooded area north of Buena Vista. Palmer said officials could not confirm that report.

Meanwhile, the crew of a heavy air tanker spotted something while making a slurry run on the blaze, said Steve Segin, a spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service.

"They weren't sure what it was," Segin said, confirming the report of a possible meteor shower.

More - hosted.ap.org...

Hmm...

That is really a bizzaro new story. I can't believe they would ground aircraft because someone saw a meteor. It must be because they thought it was something else and wanted to avoid controversy, so they "called it" a meteor. Most "meteor showers" involve swarms of tiny minute dust sized particles that burn up high in the atmosphere. And they are not in any way focused on one area.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnprince
Since most meteors burn up long before they would interfere with commercial flights , my spider sense is tingling about this .

Here is my info source .

earthsky.org...

Very interesting indeed.

S+F

According to that link, the altitude at which meteors become incandescent and vaporize varies. However, the examples they use are 40 to 60 miles above the surface of the earth. Something is not right with what is being said here.

Here's an interesting article from Discover Magazine discussing the estimated likelihood of a meteor hitting a commercial aircraft.

So, in our reference 20-year period we have 720 million hours of flight time, times 125 meteors per hour, times 5.7×10-13 = 0.051, which we can take as the average number of airliners struck by meteors in the period 1989-2009. That’s a one-in-twenty chance of some plane going down for this reason in that 20 year period.

edit on 21-6-2012 by Orkojoker because: editing

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
As an Instrument Rated pilot, I find this very odd. I can see grounding due to extreme lightening conditions or suspected large hail, but those are known meteorological conditions that are both predictable and easily tracked.
This has an all together different feel to it, from what is in the MSM reports. In my 1,000+ hours flying, I have seen my share of meteors (even a shuttle launch) but have never been advised to hold my position or to land because of them. Traffic Control never even mentioned them. Frankly, I'm stumped.

This one needs to be watched and investigated.
edit on 21-6-2012 by LetsGoViking because: typo correction

edit on 21-6-2012 by LetsGoViking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
What I find interesting is that only the fire fighting aircraft was grounded. Commercial air traffic was not stopped or delayed. So please tell me why you would only stop one set of aircraft and allow another to continue without delay when it is suppose to be for their safety.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Ron Davis, who lives part-time in Lake City, said by e-mail that he was hiking on Redcloud Peak in Hinsdale County when he saw what he thought was silvery "space junk" burning across the eastern sky, traveling from north to south with a white tail. He had just turned off his iPhone and few minutes before and couldn't snap a picture or video, he said.

Denver Post

Here is an article with an actual witness. I have never heard of "silvery" meteors, I hope they can get more witnesses accounts.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
A "Smoke Screen" for a landing? hehe

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
He didnt say silver meteor, he said ''space junk.''

Space Junk

Was something shot out of space? We know they have the missiles.
Did something go wrong with the Chinese mission?

Space junk...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher777

The only problem with this story...never in the history of aviation has an airplane been hit by a meteorite.

Never.

Never. Ever.

Also, the article shouldn't have called it a "meteorite" unless they saw it impact the ground. Until it hits the ground it is only a meteor.

So if it's truly a "meteorite" then it's already hit the ground and is no longer a threat to aircraft (if it ever was).

It's also extremely stupid, if we think about it. By the time someone sees a meteor, calls it in, the report gets distributed, and the air commander orders aircraft grounded, it could be 10 minutes before that all happens. But a meteor only takes a few seconds to hit the ground - so what's the point?

And what's this other talk of a "meteor shower"? There is no documented meteor shower for this date, and meteor showers don't happen only over Colorado, they are planetary wide.

Something smells about this story.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher777
Since when do possible meteors ground planes? Maybe they were something else?

foxnews

I didnt see this posted yet.

FOXNEWS.....you know it's a bull**** news story when it comes from Foxnews!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

foxnews

Actually it was carried by the Associated Press. Add a few more laughing smiley faces to your next post.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetXisHERE

Here is the full report from the AP, it states that there was also a sighting in NM.

AP

Nice catch OP. I wonder why they would ground planes when a meteor is usually gone in a matter of seconds.

This is my theory. In Colorado their are many known and secret bases. They were probably doing something top secret, maybe something with ET's near the fire area and didn't want civilian eyes witnessing it.

Maybe it was the weekly Majic meeting.

It might have not been in the sky but on the ground.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

I too thought it could be something from the Chinese space mission. When "space junk" enters back to earth would it be able to be seen in three states? I could see people in Colorado and New Mexico seeing it but Kansas?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher777

Didn't a satellite get damaged a few days ago?...let me find that post...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 21-6-2012 by Jerisa because: looking for post

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Nice catch OP!!
Subbed so i can keep updated.

Something is a miss which they're not telling us.
Fire ball in the sky grounding planes. That's a new one to me.

Imo their seems to be reports of all sorts of bits & bobs falling from the sky over the last six months or so.

Strange.

Will keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks for the info OP.

Star for you, as i cannot flag yet.

A Flag for you too now as i just realized i can flag.

edit on 21/6/2012 by 303inMyBrain because: Can Flag now.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Why do some reports quote people saying a meteor landed? Who the heck uses that terminogy? Meteors dont land they fall! Its almost like its been redacted. Why would someone assume something falling out of the sky is space junk? This is most bizarre.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Chaffee County Sheriff W. Peter Palmer said his office received multiple reports, including one person who thought a meteorite might have landed in a wooded area north of Buena Vista. Palmer said officials could not confirm that report. Meanwhile, the crew of a heavy air tanker spotted something while making a slurry run on the blaze, said Steve Segin, a spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service.
reply to post by MaKaElectric

Lol... emphasis added mine. Since when do meteorites "land"? Don't they come crashing down at terminal speed causing big boom....

From Dictionary.com: :land

verb (used with object) 13. to bring to or set on land: to land passengers or goods from a ship; to land an airplane. 14. to bring into or cause to arrive in a particular place, position, or condition: His behavior will land him in jail.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I've just got to say, that this story is 100 times more relevant to "Aliens and UFOs" than ANYTHING about the STUPID "Baltic Sea UFO", since there is no "UFO" in the Baltic Sea, just a lot of "pie in the sky" allegations about the "mysterious rock formations" (that could be a crashed UFO - LOL).

At least here we have a story that actually deals with something that was observed to be flying, even if its just a meteor.

This is 100 times more interesting than anything to do with that crappy "Baltic Sea UFO" story.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Orkojoker

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

foxnews

Actually it was carried by the Associated Press. Add a few more laughing smiley faces to your next post.

...and here is my next post....

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I saw this "object" and if I were to try to say what it looked like to me, I would say it was a tin foil ball tumbling and falling quickly. I checked above it to see if there were any aircraft that could have deposited the object but saw nothing but clouds and sky

Denver Post

Here is another possible witness who posted in the discussion area of the Denver Post article. Not sure what a "tin foil ball" could be, but this is the second witness to claim it was metalic looking. Hopefully there will be witnesses coming forward soon.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Why would a meteor ground planes?

I can think of two reasons:

Firstly, there are meteors, and then there are meteors...

Most meteors (or "shooting stars" as they are commonly known) that we see are actually caused by small, sand grain-sized meteoroids hitting the atmosphere at high speed, but observe the sky for long enough and you'll see much larger meteoroids, and when these hit the atmosphere the result that we see is called a "fireball" or a "bolide".

A bright meteor or fireball, can be an impressive sight and/or a "WTH just happened" moment - many people are not familiar with meteors/fireballs, and they are often misidentified. When a lot of people see a bright meteor there are usually at least a few reports of anything from aircraft in flames/crashing, to fireworks, to missiles, and people who just call it a "UFO", even when the meteor/fireball has been confirmed.

There are many examples of this if you look.

Here is a recent example of a fireball that was seen in this part of the world earlier this year. Hundreds reported the fireball formally, and it was caught on camera numerous times, so there is no doubt that it was a meteor/fireball, but some reported that it did not look like a meteor to them: Meteor spotted in North East skies causes concern

Police and Coastguard officials were bombarded with calls at around 9.40pm with people reporting a “bright burning light” which was “travelling at a fantastic speed”.

Some were convinced they were witnessing a plane crash as the meteor plunged towards earth, but the Met Office and police were quick to set the record straight.

A similar event happened over Victoria, Australia early last March: Plane crash fears as light streaks across night sky

A meteor that burned up over Victoria last night prompted a number of calls to police from concerned residents who believed the bright light streaking across the sky may have been a plane on fire.

Here's another for good measure:Emergency crews report no plane crash, just meteor

I've been reading reports like these since I first became interested in fireballs and meteors, nearly 15 years ago.

Meteors have a knack for causing confusion .

The second reason, is probably that, when there is an "unknown" possible threat to aircraft, it may be that they decided to be "safe rather than sorry", till they verified what it was. Did I mention that people have misidentified meteors as "missiles" before?

So perhaps a slight over reaction in hind-sight, but justified if you are in a situation where lives are at stake, and there may be a possible threat, I would say.

If anyone is interested, I went into some of the reasons why meteors are so easily misidentified here.

I don't think there is anything strange in this case at all - previous replies have "debunked" most of the "strange" aspects of this case that were pointed out in this thread.

If anything is strange, it's meteors: Anomalous Meteor Phenomena

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join