It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Sun Dog and Odd Bird Behavior PNW(vid and pics)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hey everyone! I haven't been around much lately, but just had to share this with you. Those that 'know' me are used to my sky gazing..
I enjoy taking pictures of nature and especially of the sun and moon. I have seen many sun halos and sun dogs the past couple of years and even got a sun pillar this spring. Today, however, was the largest sun dog I have EVER seen, in person or otherwise. It was massive. I was on my way home and managed to get a few seconds of video before I ran inside for my camera. It was so big that you can clearly see it on the video (anyone who admires sun dogs can appreciate the nature of photographing them. The colors are often hard to capture on video and film) I included the tree tops and some houses in the end of the video to give a perspective on its size.

By the time I got my camera, it wasn't quite as impressive but still the largest I'd ever seen. It was quite low in the sky too. Normally, you will see a sun halo (ring around the sun) and then the sun dogs off to either side, high up in the sky. This, however was a large, flat broad span low on the horizon. There was a bit of a faint sun halo too at the time, but not really bright enough to photograph.

Well, I was thrilled with the pictures and debated whether to share them here or not. I have to admit that it's a nice day and I was feeling a bit lazy and not really wanting to take the time to resize/upload. While I was looking through the pictures on my laptop I happened to glance up and saw a HUGE flock of birds just outside my window. Now this was wierd. I live in the country with some farmland around me and the skagit river nearby. I am about 10-15 miles from the ocean. The only flocking of birds of any size I have seen are starlings and ducks when migrating. I was confused because these were large birds. I thought maybe there was something dead in a nearby field and they were crows are something. I went to the window and was shocked to see hundreds upon hundreds of what looked like seagulls swirling around out there.

I once again grabbed my camera and headed out. By the time I got my charging battery back in and the lense changed and out there, they had moved down the road a bit, but were still quite impressive. I ran to my backyard and switched lenses again to try and zoom in a bit more to make sure they were seagulls...and they were! I have NEVER seen this type of behavior here before. Yes, we get seagulls and sometimes groups of them will land in the fields....but this was an incredible amount of they were swirling about in a very haphazard manner as if confused and not sure where they wanted to go. I then saw a very nice sun halo had formed and managed to get one of them flying in front of it before they disappeared down the road and behind the trees.

So now I had to share! I have been known to speculate on both atmospheric occurances and animal behavior as precursors to quakes, so i feel I need to at least document this....and it's kinda cool to look at too.

So here you go...video of the sun dog first, then pictures of it followed by the bird pictures.

(ETA: that is NOT the sun behind the sundog in the picture, but a cloud. The sun was way above it)

birds:

This doesn't really do them justice...but it was hard to capture them all and still be able to see them in the picture so I concentrated on the largest group:

A closer look to see what kind of bird they were:

One flying in front of the sun halo:

So there you are. If you simply enjoy pictures of sun dogs, I hope you like them. If you are interested in the possible relationship between these things and quakes, it will give us something (perhaps) to talk about. Or...maybe we are just in for a nice storm???
edit on 20-6-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Love ya west coast. But can you say paranoia?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Dude...thanks.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Long time, no read westcoast.

Does seem a bit weird. Never heard of a correlation between sun dogs and seismic activity before. (You are way better at that then most, so okay.)

They say the animals always know first. Here's to hoping that it is nothing more than coincidence.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Very beautiful pictures OP. I must admit a ignorance to the role these "sun dogs" play in predicting earthquakes but I will do some research on that. However I do have a question.

In the first picture of the birds, 5th pic down, I noticed two identical circular anomalies. are these just spotting from the sun or a mirror of a piece of dust on the lens?

Probably nothing but the only stupid question is the one you dont ask.

Edit: The same anomaly is also in the second photo of the birds, top left.
edit on 20-6-2012 by coven83 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Either way, those are some gorgeous shots!
On the prairies, sundogs are generally seen in winter and signal colder weather.

Your pics do call to mind youtube vids featuring the same clouds pre-earthquake, not well-versed enough on it to make an educated guess, but the depth and vibrancies of the colours are the same as.

Either way, stay safe in your part of paradise in BC - what they haven't ravaged, anyway (I'm still torn over the demolition of Pedder Bay).

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Hi....nice post, well written and I enjoyed the pictures.
I have been noticing sun halos recently but don't know anything about them.
As for the odd bird behavior.....please let us know if any strange weather follows (in your area).
I'm not a great photographer lol, but would like to try to take a few sun halo pics myself....they're pretty and I also like the rainbow-effect of the clouds. Keep us updated if possible.
jacygirl

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Beautiful shots of the sundogs and birds Westcoast.
I know we have had some activity in quakes on
the coast lately and lets hope this is not a sign
of something bigger. The most impressive
sun dogs I have ever observed was in Santa
Fe, New Mexico. Hope to see you around more
often. Thank you so much for sharing.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Nice pics

Those birds look like gulls to me, don't know what kind though.

Edit: sorry i went back and read through your post and you had already identified them, I have to stop doing that, I went straight to the pics without reading your text, I guess I'm visually stimulated

edit on 20-6-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies! As to answer a few of your questions:

*The 'spot' you noticed in the pictures is the result of dust on my optic (internal) lense. I just cleaned it recently so it ticks me off that they (there are several) are back again so soon. I had somewhat recently pointed out some odd things in a few pics so I want to stress that while in previous pics I wasn't sure...with these, I am positive those are dust spots! Good eye.

*While I am not a believer in 'earthquake clouds', I like to keep an open mind. If things like this are NOT documented for comparison, how are we ever to rule it out or prove it? I know what causes rainbows/sun dogs/sun halos/pillars, etc. It is the refraction of sunlight off water crystals in the atmosphere. If you do a search on earthquake clouds, the most popular ones share some odd characteristics with the one I saw today. Typically, a sun dog is high up, in a 'true line' with the sun. Same with pillars...they basically are a cut-out/or partiall halo, with some other cool reflection stuff going on that I won't try to fully understand. Most places see these things in cold weather. For some reason, we seem to be seeing them more often around here in the summer. Perhaps it has to do with the jet-stream? I dunno. So anyways, what made todays a bit different is where it was and how it was formed/shaped. I have NEVER seen a sun dog this low in the sky or this shape/size. Now that doesn't mean it is spectactular just because I myself have never seen one before....but the only pictures or videos like this one that I can recall are the china and haiti 'earthquake cloud' videos/pics. Those shared characteristics being the location in the sky, shape and vividness.

Here is a link to a simple search result for sun dog images. You will see what I mean about the alignment with the sun that my pics today are missing.

here are one of the more popular (china I think) earthquake cloud pics. Now, people will say this is just a sun dog. There is a very good chance that is all it is...just like my picture. But note how low on the horizon it is..it just isn't 'typical'. Doesn't mean it isn't a sun dog...but *shrug*, I think worth at least noting.

As to the birds; I am at a loss. I've never seen gulls behave like there here (or even near the ocean) before....so I don't know what to say about it. I don't think we are in for a storm...but maybe they know something we do not.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but what you are calling sun dogs, to me, is a mistake.

IMHO, as a patient observer, the rainbow-effect is a direct result of aerosol and/or metallic particles in the atmosphere. Never once, until about 1999, have I ever witnessed this event in our skies. And it's not because I wasn't looking.

Even the "sun halo's" are a result of the spraying. And it disturbs me to hear people praising them and giving them cuddly nicknames. These sorts of things happen all the time now adays and seemingly only on heavy chemtrail days. Put 2 and 2 together.

edit on 20-6-2012 by BoyMeetsWorldATS because: attn

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by BoyMeetsWorldATS

It should disturb even more you to learn that 'sun dogs' are a natural phenomenon then shouldn't it?

I'm guessing you're new here so I'll be brief, if you want to believe in chemtrails then feel free, but I'll remind you now that your opinions are your own, and in order to make a statement like yours some elaboration is usually required aka reasons to back up and/or demonstrate your argument.

edit on 20-6-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Nice to see you around,westcoast.

Loved the pics,nice job.

Those birds,were they pelicans,or is my eyesight just going bad.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
What is a sun dog...? Nvm ill look it up...........
edit on 20-6-2012 by dayve because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I read up on those rainbow clouds back in May when i saw one for the first time, ever. I've been in Texas all my life and never seen one. I'm not saying they don't happen here; it's just that I had never seen one and i'm an avid sky watcher. Then, one evening, there one was but i had no idea *what* it was.

It wasn't 2 days later that the 4.3 EQ struck about an hour's drive east of me. That was a huge EQ for east Texas. I think the last one we had in that range was back in the '50s. Strange coincidence? I have no idea.

I hope it was just a pretty sky for you and not a forewarning.

Be safe.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Good to see you Westcoast! Great pics! I have seen 1 Sun
Dog in my entire life. It was gorgeous. The pics of the birds. Wow! That's a lot of birds. Hope it doesn't mean anything serious on the horizon. Once again, great job as usual!!
S&f
edit on 6/20/12 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

OR HAARP rainbows...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
North of you, I have seen sea gulls flock like that a number of times.
Never really thought much of it.

Good pics of the sundog!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Good to see you! I hope it is pre- storm and wind dog? I say that because we saw one last week and since then we have had wild weather.

Come back and participate my friend it is boring without you!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeesFar
reply to post by westcoast

I read up on those rainbow clouds back in May when i saw one for the first time, ever. I've been in Texas all my life and never seen one. I'm not saying they don't happen here; it's just that I had never seen one and i'm an avid sky watcher. Then, one evening, there one was but i had no idea *what* it was.

It wasn't 2 days later that the 4.3 EQ struck about an hour's drive east of me. That was a huge EQ for east Texas. I think the last one we had in that range was back in the '50s. Strange coincidence? I have no idea.

I hope it was just a pretty sky for you and not a forewarning.

Be safe.

Same here. These "naturally occurring" phenomena aren't supposed to occur at the frequency in which we're seeing them. Use some common sense because rainbow clouds, sun halos, and/or sun dogs are commonplace where I live, now. They weren't before (before the late 90's).

If you cannot connect the dots from your "beautiful" (disgusting imo) sky events to the persistant con-trails (chemtrails) then you're simply blind.

It's not my job to convince you on this. Im just pointing out what I think is an accurate and fair assumption.

edit on 21-6-2012 by BoyMeetsWorldATS because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join