It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graphical depiction of exoplanets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Cool, cool, cool!

Apologies for the size of this thing - I know there's supposed to be a way to make pictures fit the page, but I haven't figured it out yet

edit on 20-6-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So these are the planets that are large enough to be picked up by our telescopes, within the tiny range they can scan. And people still say that Earth is the only planet sustaining life in the universe, and even more ignorantly that we are the only intelligent species in the universe?
Mind blowing.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
***I know this is a selfish idea, and only just so because I am human.***

I really think we should take one of those red planets.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenTFH
So these are the planets that are large enough to be picked up by our telescopes, within the tiny range they can scan. And people still say that Earth is the only planet sustaining life in the universe, and even more ignorantly that we are the only intelligent species in the universe?
Mind blowing.

Yeah but we don't actually have any proof that these planets could support life as we know it. Assuming any different is just as ignorantly assuming that we are the only intelligent species in the universe!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Thanks for this graphical depiction.

Immediate and impressive.
And this is only a very little part of the whole in our galaxy.
Kepler still hold the "whole thing" in its "belly".
S&F.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BenTFH

I read once that from what we have searched, we have found 1200+ planets, 50+ of those are in their parent stars, "goldilocks" zone (temperate liquid water zone).

1200 planets with 50 of those having liquid water.

heres the kicker:

we've searched 1/400th of OUR galaxy. so thats a good 20,000 planets in our galaxy that have liquid water, now times that by the amount of galaxy's there are. chew on that slice of fried gold.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
***I know this is a selfish idea, and only just so because I am human.***

I really think we should take one of those red planets.

I think we'll have to strengthen up our leg muscles just to be able to stand.
...And the strength of our bones and the rest of our entire bodies.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Here is a larger version of the OP photo for easier viewing.

I love xkcd - It's my favorite webcomic.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This is awesome, it really shows the scale at which our universe operates at.

Think of all the kinds of different life that could be on those planets, or even what kind of materials could be on those.

We might be able to make additions to the periodic table! You never know what's out there.

We've witnessed such a small part of our existence in this universe, I wouldn't be surprised if there was mass amounts of intelligent life on any of those planets, that simply aren't worried about communicating with us Humans.

I think they'd be more interest in making contact with elephants on dolphins. Hell, maybe even platypus's (They are a combination, it seems, of many different species, to make it's own species)

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saint Exupery
Here is a larger version of the OP photo for easier viewing.

I love xkcd - It's my favorite webcomic.

loopy van queso ruler of the iranian moon base has found extraterrestrials in his little hiney

posted on Jun, 25 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenTFH
Mind blowing.

Who says this exactly? I always see complaints about these 'people', but Ive yet to actually see one person claim anything remotely like that we are the only intelligent species in the universe?
I would have thought that making any sort of statement regarding the existence or non-existence of intelligent alien life at this moment in time would be rather hasty.

new topics

top topics

join