It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's review stars and flags, shall we?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I've been reading ATS for years, and have been a member for quite some time now, and I love it. But lately, I've been noticing that some people are getting a little weird with starring and flagging posts and threads.

A couple vague examples of this:
1. Someone posts a new thread with just a link in it, maybe a few other words, and not much else. This is not a properly written thread. However, the link is to a very important current event that interests people, so the OP receives several stars.
2. A member writes a very long, well-written thread about a current event where he explains everything in great detail, his opinion of it, and uses several quotations from the website. But for some reason, he has far more flags than stars.

These are not proper ways to star and flag, and I've been seeing them a lot lately! Look at this thread as a reference - www.abovetopsecret.com...

Basically, you flag a thread that you want others to see. If you think its important, or interesting, or just very well-written and want other ATS'ers to see it, you flag it.

They’re your way of saying “Hey, this is a good thread, come check it out”, and together, as a team, you can collectively decide which thread is “better” or more worthy than another.

Stars are for when you think that a member has written something very well, or made a good point, or so on. You don't even have to agree with them as long as they are doing something that you like.

When starring a member’s post you’re effectively saying “I agree with this” or “a lot of work has gone into this and I may not agree with it, but I am appreciative of the efforts gone into it still”.

So now if you come across a thread that you like and want everyone to see it and you think it's written really well, then S&F away! But if you see one that brings up an important topic but the OP doesn't offer more than that, flag it, but do not star it. And it works the other way around.

I just wanted to get this off my chest. If you agree with me and want everyone to see this, then flag this thread. If you think I did a good job here but you don't feel that the ATS community is actually having the problem that I'm bringing up, then just give me a star. And if you feel that I've wasted your time with this, then I apologize and wish you a wonderful rest of the day.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
** I have noticed this a lot myself lately and I do believe it is caused by so many new uninformed members who really don't care!!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Why can't I use MY flags and stars the way I want to?

I have noticed this as well, but "Well Done" is always in the eye of the beholder. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Etc.

A good point none the less.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by faint1993

Do away with stars ! They ain't nessessary, t'ain't a competishon !

Theys for peepel wat needs there egos masaging, to make they feel gud !

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Personally, I like getting stars and flags. It means that some people did at least enjoy the post and topics I made, and it does gives me something of a measure of how popular I am on this site.

But it's really a mystery to me how sometimes some people can get something like 90 S&Fs in one topic or post though.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
For a good while, Flags weren't an option on off-topic (old BTS) forums and I have always thought that was probably a better policy and should have stayed with the new ATS format. I think the fact that it has not, just reinforces how little flags/stars wats/karma really matters, with regards to determining a thread's "worth", it's all relevant.

Example: if a BTS thread about booze/sex and puppies (not together) can rack up a gazzillion flags at the same time a well researched thread on Ancient Civilizations garners only a few then what does that really say about the system?

To each their own and yadda yadda.

I do appreciate getting an applause now and then, though.

edit on 20-6-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I always star a response someone makes in my thread (unless its just a really terrible reply). Its a courteous of sorts; you spent the time to comment in my thread, I give you a star.

When reading others' threads, I star those posts that I agree with or that are especially well written.

I only flag a thread if I think others need to read it. Sometimes the threads I flag are somewhat lighthearted, but that's my opinion.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Yup... people Star and flag the most retarded posts more then those which offer some insite...

A perfect example of which is THIS thread...

The OP didn't even say anything... it was considered a "joke"... i didn't find anything even remotely funny about it...

75 flags...
for what!?!

You'll also notice my Sig.... "Take care of your thread participants"

Theres been tons of posts on this over the years... its pointless even discussing it honestly...

Sarcasm and brainless one liners will almost always win over intelligent replies unfortunatly...

:shk:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I always star a response someone makes in my thread (unless its just a really terrible reply). Its a courteous of sorts; you spent the time to comment in my thread, I give you a star.

When reading others' threads, I star those posts that I agree with or that are especially well written.

I only flag a thread if I think others need to read it. Sometimes the threads I flag are somewhat lighthearted, but that's my opinion.

I do the same in my threads as well. Usually even if I disagree, if it isn't just an ignorant, argumentative, piece of tripe... I star because they took the time. The disagreeing posts can often make me see things from a different angle so I appreciate those too.

Personal disclosure.... I have flagged fluff on occasion.
Not often. But I do like a good laugh as good as the next person.

edit on 6/20/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

And for that reply.

A star for you. Well done.

posted on Jul, 4 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

I am one of the newer and uninformed members and I have one question: HOW do I flag a post or thread? I truly do not know and it must be simple to do or I'd have figured it out already. I am being sincere, I have difficulty with the simplest things, but can grasp complexity rather quickly. I'd really appreciate a legitimate reply.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MommyWoman

Hey MommyWoman,
I know it's been a while since you posted that, but if you still haven't figured it out then here it is. In the upper left corner of each post-box you will see some stars. There will always be different numbers of stars, but there will always be one "hollow" star. If you click on that, it will star the post. And as far as flagging, there's just a box at the top left of each PAGE that says "Flag Thread" or something along those lines, and you click on "Flag It".

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Thank you VERY much for this post. As a new member that helps make sense of the system.

(edit) no need to ask my question,...
edit on 10-8-2012 by Pagedisciple because: because my question posted was answered about an hour prior & I didn't notice

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by faint1993
reply to post by MommyWoman

And as far as flagging, there's just a box at the top left of each PAGE that says "Flag Thread" or something along those lines, and you click on "Flag It".

LOL, oh snap,.. you answered my question right before I posted.

Mods forgive me for not going through all the thread before posting, feel free to delete my previous post if you so desire.

new topics

top topics

join