It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody else experience this sensation?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Link

I have experienced a peculiar but pleasurable sensation since I was younger which is somewhat difficult to describe and I was wondering if anybody ever experiences the same. The link above is from people who seem to be discussing the same thing.

I've taken a comment from a user on that site who seems to sum up quite well what it is like:

- Non-sexual (though can be triggered by sexual activity) feeling of immense pleasure
- Commonly a satisfying tingling sensation that starts in the head, moving to the neck, down the shoulders and potentially encompassing the whole body with varying intensities depending on the 'hit'
- Triggered by both contact and very interestingly non-contact stimuli
- The most common trigger appears to be when the experiencer is being given unabated attention by another individual(s) on a task pertinent to them. Usually the higher in importance or relevance the more intense the sensation.
- Also reported as being triggered by observing others intently focused on a task, activity etc. such as writing on paper, chewing gum etc. that isn't necessarily pertinent to the experiencer. This is such that the sensation would be anonymously experienced.

For me personally it eminates from the back of my head in a nice soft pulsing manner. I experienced it only the other day when all I was doing was reading an e-mail I had printed off, which was a short e-mail conversation between two people. There were other people in the room at the time, but it was silent and I became absorbed in the task and the resultant sensation.

Another user on the above link has said:

*Someone talking in a low or hushed tone.
*People carrying on a conversation that I'm not involved in (or listening to someone talk on the phone)
*Watching someone do something like knit, draw, or paint... something that they concentrate on.

I've used the above examples as I'm struggling to define it myself without sounding a bit strange.

So does anybody else ever get this or know what it might be?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Good post, Kram09. Sounds like what we used to call a " Tingling down the spine " sensation, caused by certain stimuli. Usually visual, in my case.

I've probably felt it a handful of times in my life..

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

I know what you mean by the tingling down the spine sensation, but this is somwhat different.

I know the talking in low quiet voices can cause it for me, amongst other things. But it would be interesting to be able to create the feeling at will.

It's only recently that i've actually started to pay attention to the sensation.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs.

Most ASMR episodes begin by an external or internal trigger, and are so divided for classification. Type A episodes are elicited by the experiencer using no external stimuli, and are typically achieved by specific thought patterns unique to the individual. Type B episodes are triggered involuntarily by an external trigger, via one or more senses, and may also involve specific thought patterns associated with the triggering event. Both types of triggers vary between individuals, but many are common to a large portion of ASMR enjoyers.

Common external triggers:

Exposure to slow, accented, or unique speech patterns

Viewing educational or instructive videos or lectures

Experiencing a high empathetic or sympathetic reaction to an event

Enjoying a piece of art or music

Watching another person complete a task, often in a diligent, attentive manner - examples would be filling out a form, writing a check, going through a purse or bag, inspecting an item closely, etc.

Close, personal attention from another person

Haircuts, or other touch from another on head or back

ASMR Research

Research Goals

Document physical and psychological aspects of ASMR
Obtain funding for further research
Explore potential beneficial personal and social applications of ASMR
Determine the natural progression of ASMR through an enjoyer's lifetime
Develop a method to replicate ASMR in those who do not yet experience it
Study effects of ASMR on depression, anxiety, sleep disorders, etc.
Research Efforts

Research efforts are currently focused on expanding our understanding of ASMR as an experience, and cataloguing the aspects of ASMR in a scientific, discrete fashion. Data compiled through our questionnaires and video trials will be used to build a complete research portfolio. Our portfolio will ultimately be the foundation of documentation used to request a full research grant and funding for a broader range of studies.

Current

Video Trials - Exposure to known video triggers, and documenting reactions

General Questionnaire - A basic questionnaire to compile statistical data of ASMR enjoyers
Future

Physiological monitor - EEG, GSR, Pupil dilation, etc. - during ASMR episodes

Health screening of ASMR enjoyers to determine possible linked medical conditions

Controled profiling of triggers to isolate areas of the brain active during ASMR

Controled survey of serotonin and other neurotransmitter levels before and after ASMR regimen

Psychological profile and benefits or problems associated with routine ASMR experience

Social anthropological implications of ASMR.....

...Currently, the team is preparing to run a series of video experiments. This involves a participant watching a provided video link, and then answering a set of questions about the video, such as the below examples:

"How often did you hear the speaker breathe?"

"How did you feel when the painter slipped?"

"Did you like or dislike the way the colors matched the video?"

"How often did you feel the video almost, but didn't quite, elicit ASMR?"...

...If you would like to participate as a volunteer, you can fill out the form at the bottom and a team member will contact you with full details of the next round. You should be aware of these details:

This is a non-funded effort, so you will not be paid...

AMSR Trigger Videos:

Click Here for a YouTube Playlist of 34 ASMR Trigger Videos

YouTube user ASMRNoises has several ASMR videos on their page.

This is a claimed trigger video, but it does the exact opposite to me, even frustrates me and leaves me annoyed at the video and even the person who made the video... haha I guess

There are many other reports out there of people who experience this as well, I am to some extent, maybe we all are to some extent, or maybe we are all capable of this, but for some reason we do not all experience this.

Similar to my experiences with OBE and Astral Travel, incredible experiences we are all capable of, but not everyone experiences. Some people believe the possibility of such extraordinary experiences does not exist as described, though they absolutely do exist and are incredibly real.

edit on 20-6-2012 by esteay812 because: add content fix broken embeds and correct tyops

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I have this sensation when I hear someone with a nice 'soft' voice, sometimes with a gentle lisp when pronouncing their S's.

It puts me into a beautiful mellow trance like state, and I found by gently and slowly tickling the inside of my forearms enhances and prolongs the sensation.

That's so weird man, this is the 1st time I have ever mentioned it to anyone! - It doesn't happen that often, but when it does i LOVE it!

edit on 20-6-2012 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2012 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

Yeah, I have exactly this also. It's that ASMR that someone posted. I get it with haircuts too. If I go and get a haircut I pretty much fall into a trance like I'm getting a massage and can't even mutter out a conversation (other than "yeah...").

It's pretty silly but also it can be the most relaxing I've ever felt. The feeling can be better than an orgasm, imo.

ETA: As some have mentioned, you can get a slight tingle down the spine sensation. I have gotten this so frequently that I can conjure up the sensation whenever I want. Basically, it just involves me focusing on the sensation I get right before a spine tingle and then my body does the rest of the work. I love it. I watch ASMR videos just to relax. I consider myself fortunate (though) weird to be excited by such stimuli so easily. Thanks for the reminder, OP.
edit on 20-6-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
i get this feeling when i hear music that touches the soul, when i discover a new truth, or when i get a completely empathetic feeling towards someone. it's a very nice feeling and i can extend it as long as i want. i believe it is the feeling of peace.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Thanks for all the information, I have always wondered about this sensation. I seem to get in when listening to music that registers with my soul; when experiencing an intense display of empathy/sympathy; when seeing people achieve something that means a lot to them; or when receiving an affectionate touch on the arm from somebody else.

edit on 20/6/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Is that a mental orgasm... I get one everytime i paint a wall or a choo choo, then i go back to look at it, and give myself a visual orgasm....

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

This is a claimed trigger video, but it does the exact opposite to me, even frustrates me and leaves me annoyed at the video and even the person who made the video... haha I guess

Sorry if this part of my initial post confused you all. I did some editing work on the post and inadvertantly left these comments there.

also, this is how the 2nd part of the quote should have read:

There are many other reports out there of people who are capable of experiencing this as well. I can to some extent, maybe we all can to some extent.

Maybe we are all fully capable of this, but for some reason we only experience low levels of ASMR, or not at all. If true, then there should be a mechanism we can use to set off one of these experiences. Like any other skill that is meaningful to you, it must be practiced in order to reach it's full potential.

Similar to my experiences with OBE and Astral Travel, incredible experiences we are all capable of, but not everyone experiences. Some people believe the possibility of such extraordinary experiences does not exist as described, though they absolutely do exist and are incredibly real.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Have you found that antihistamines seem to stop it?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

Interesting thread.

I have experienced this often, although mainly in meditations and similar situations with other people.

And for what its worth, the sound "trigger" videos didn't do anything for me. Hopefully others will have more luck with them.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
that happens to me a lot I think its the serotonin being released in order for me to feel good, or it can be the spirits passing through you showering you with love I think thats more believable in my case.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

i experience EXACTLY this regularly, from certain voices too. :3

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

Hello Troubleshooter!

Not sure if you talked with the OP through U2U or if they will be responding to you here after a while.

I wanted to reply to you about your question concerning anti-histamines.

I do not experience ASMR often enough to know if it is effected by ingesting anti-hstamines. I can, however, comment on what I do know anti-histamines are capable of.

I am actually about to post an update thread in the 'The Grey Area' about some of this, relating to my experiences.

Anti-histamines, Diphenhydramine to be more specific, definitely effects my ability to produce an OBE or Astral experience. In fact, it not only effects it in most cases, it completely blocks it from materializing what-so-ever.

I do not mean to imply that OBE and ASMR are related, by any means, when I say that. I just mean to point out that Diphenhydramine definitely effects my ability to experience one of the more mysterious aspects of our existence.

It could be possible that there is some correlation between ASMR and OBE, but I do not see any direct relation. If it can adversely effect my ability to induce an OBE, then maybe it can effect ASMR experiences in the same fashion.

Then again, maybe it can intensify the ASMR experience. I mention this because some ASMR experiencers describe the feeling as potentially orgasmic in nature - without the sex.

I had a conversation with a Dr. at the University of Tennessee - Knoxville campus.

I do hardwood flooring for an income and found myself refinishing an old, old, old, old, floor for a Dr. at a residence purchased inside one historic district of Knoxville.

It's not often that I can talk with a Dr. outside of their office or hospital, in a casual manner. Since I recognized Diphenhydramine as an anti-potentiator of my OBE's, I wanted to ask why this may be.

I thought the Doc would know but, although his field is neuroscience, he was unable to give me solid explanation.

He did, however, give me some trivial information about Diphenhydramine.

Apparently, Diphenhydramine can elevate pleasurable sensations. He didn't give me much more info about it, and I didn't want to question him further, since it seemed bound to lead to a talk I wasn’t comfortable having,

Still, I wanted to know how it effects our experience of certain pleasures. So - like anyone searching for the meaning life and explanation of existence - I turned to the internet…

After checking a few different places, I was able to find some discussion about it’s effects on our pleasure sensations. Several individuals talking about this went on to say that Diphenhydramine elevates the orgasmic sensation of sexual climax well beyond what they normally experience.

I do not recall a mention of the dose required to obtain these results, but I imagine that it is probably the recommended dose on the packaging labels, but I could be wrong.

*I do not advise anyone to deviate from the suggested dosing amount or schedule provided on the products label or provided by your personal physician.

**I do not mean to infer, in any way, that Diphenhydramine doses should be experimented with in a manner outside of and/or inconsistent with dosing suggestions provided by the drugs manufacturer on the products label or by your personal Dr.

*** Anyone considering the use of Diphenhydramine in a manner inconsistent with the (OTC) drugs explicit list of uses, as suggested by the manufacturer, should always consider the potential risks and side effects involved.

**** Always contact your personal physician before taking any new medicines - prescribed or over-the-counter (OTC) - to learn details about all possible side-effects and other potential health risks involved.

***** Always contact your personal physician before beginning any new medicinal treatment regimen where the use of drugs you are not currently taking or drugs you have never previously taken are required.

-You can help limit the affects of an adverse allergic reaction to drugs you’ve never used before by learning what to do if / when such an allergic reaction does occur in you or someone else.

-Contacting your Dr. is an important step toward becoming aware of what to expect in different drugs & treatment regimens and their potentially harmful or fatal side-effects of proper use or consequences of deliberate misuse.

(sorry for the long post, just having a little fun and practice)

edit on 21-6-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I don't experience this, but I fully believe this happens. Very loud voices, for a prolonged period of time, cause an anxiety response for me. So soft voices facilitating a strong relaxation response makes perfect sense.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Thanks for the information and videos. Very interesting!

The first video caused it in me slightly and the last video of the whispering did it too.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by topmid

I've never experienced it through music, but I consider myself to be quite an empathetic individual.

One of the earliest times I can remember it being triggered was when I was younger, if I visited the doctor and he listened to my chest with a stethoscope. He had a low voice and quiety concentrated on listening to my heart and breathing.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
reply to post by Kram09

Have you found that antihistamines seem to stop it?

I've never actually taken antihistamines as I've never had need to.

But the information from esteay812 is interesting.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

i want to reply from another ways

essentially, the idea of another is negative, bc another mean that one do not exist, so only the subject dimension is present to itself if it is true so in absolute terms recognizing being present alone

so essentially, the other is always negative as an absolute fact, like it is the reason why one became aware of inferiority that truth is opposed to

i guess it is where truth appear existing since inferiority cant b allowed in objective constancy

so the issue was revealed in being constantly true first and last as the only other since any is always or can always b relatively true, any can b objective when objective is being

that what explain how all gods seem to b through creations powers alone having their own absolute area to exist through, gods dont share anything while they invent that for humans which prove the fallacy

but, another point a positive trait of inferiority, and from there all existence ones were invented too

which prove that im not anything to what exist, i dont see in another a positive trait
mayb i was pointed as a positive trait of inferiority, which again prove the fallacy being the will

so the positive trait of inferiority was generalized as being the positive sense u get if the other is from higher dimension that can do stuff in ur dimension that u could feel

so ur inferiroity to it or him would b attenuated by what u receive from him, knowing of course that u cannot give to another if u r not above him physically in absolute dimension terms
any objective is always in absolute terms, when the other is sharing same dimension u cant even exist absolutely at any objective point
that is why in truth u cant give another but a hand if the other is in trouble, so giving is possible in same dimension for zero proving that zero is objective so u can correct a situation to its zero look
and from the logics reference of above i said, we could consider zero less in absolute terms then anyone, so when the other is in negative situation, freedom value which is to go individually anywhere plus zero perspective absolutely could affect that situation to correct

intelligent ones like myself of course, tired of hypocrisy that i have to start throw humility forever, so intelligent ones like myself again of course, understood quickly how positive inferiority sense out of other objective power perspective, is due to truth existence objectively pointing to one a sure powerful way to himself
which explain all those strong drives of competitions and free stimulations energy for each perspective of another power

so again intelligent ones that decided to b true all the way as myself, deduce to logic issue of that by realizing a definitive separation between objective and subjective reality where both would active, so actually breaking the relativity to truth objectively there and the loneliness of individuality

in order to keep the right spirit existing, which is always plus if out, and the least minus or substraction kills the sacred character of truth there

so the issue was in path of its resolutions, when objective is then shared between others powers and truth powers, which is confirmed by what is calling the issue of now, being gods rejections to truth existence rights

by doing that, positive value for one wont b of inferiority nor to its own existence, when put in the field of truth conception of absolute values abstractions for truth existence rights to possess all objective realities, reality cant b but out of sameness concept and fact, while only truth is capable of that, as being exclusively out of that superior in puting always same objectively right

while subjective reality become filled with others wills or means or unfortunately powers over one, it is an intelligent right move, bc it is clearly attacking the problem by facing it as a thing that can b break, which could lead to the issue of sameness in truth

so subjective field in truth lead to absolute objectivism rights - freedom and zero value

and objective field in truth lead to absolute subjectivism rights - truth quality

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join