It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama asserts executive privilege on Fast and Furious documents

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Obama asserts executive privilege on Fast and Furious documents

www.cnn.com

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama has asserted executive privilege over documents sought by a House committee investigating the botched Fast and Furious gun-running sting, according to a letter to the panel Wednesday from Deputy Attorney Gen. James Cole.

The move means the Department of Justice can withhold the documents from the House Oversight Committee, which was scheduled to consider a contempt measure Wednesday against Holder.

"I write now to inform you that the president has asserted executive privilege over the relevant post-February 4, 2011, documents," Cole wrote in a
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Holder Claims Emails Using Words ‘Fast and Furious’ Don’t Refer to Operation Fast and Furious
Van Jones Rips Holder over Fast and Furious
Enough Already: Contempt Process Begins Against Holder on Fast and Furious

+37 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
***This is Important!**

Unbelievable!!! Obama has used his 'executive privilege' to withhold the documents in question that could prove that Holder is in contempt! He is using 'presidential power' to WITHHOLD EVIDENCE FOLKS!!

and Issa said afterward the committee would proceed with its contempt vote if Holder failed to turn over the documents in question.

Now, no documents and here is that crux,

"Although we are deeply disappointed that the committee appears intent on proceeding with a contempt vote, the department remains willing to work with the Committee to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution of the outstanding issues."

HA! Mututally satisfying, meaning the white house DOES NOT WANT Holder to be in contempt cause it may link back to the Obama and his admin! They don't want him fired, they want the council to continue the process without the documents that hold the evidence.. HOW and WHY is this being allowed to happen?!?!

Another classic example of Obama using his 'power' in sketchy, non-constitutional ways! He is withholding eveidence from YOU America!

Thoughts?!?!

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6/20/2012 by Nspekta because: spelling

edit on 6/20/2012 by Nspekta because: edit

edit on 6/20/2012 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

+44 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is total bull #. The president basically just exempted himself from the laws of our country. He, and his cohorts made a mistake, and this operation went south, and now instead of facing the music he is cowering behind his "executive privilege" like the scared dog that he is. I do not support this president. He is a traitor and a coward in my book.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Highly suspicious. There could be no other explaination except the evidence requested was severely damning to Holder and the Admin.
It is an obvious cover up, but I'm not, in the least, suprised. They probably all signed prenupt's, requiring one to do anything to protect the other.

+26 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If you and all the other conservatives who are sure to come to this post did just as much whining when Bush exerted EP, I would say you have a point. But something tells me not one of you even made a peep except to defend him because "we are at war with terrorists and you don't speak bad about a president during war time."

Now I heavily criticized Bush during his time in office for doing things like this and I was called a traitor. And what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Excellent post!

How can Berry declare executive privilege's on documents that he states that he never saw?
Perhaps Hilary and Billary set him up and when Berry gets impeached, it opens the door wide open for Hilary to run for POTUS.
If that does happen, and if she does indeed win, then truly the whore of Babylon will be riding the Beast.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A ton of news agencies are starting to pick this up! Its big big news folks!

www.cbsnews.com...

www.bloomberg.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... 20/gJQAGImIqV_story.html

The last one says the House will still go ahead with the contempt vote!

Check this out too!

President Obama asserted executive privilege over documents related to the “Fast and Furious” operation Wednesday as a House panel moved to hold Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. in contempt after he failed to hand over documents related to a congressional inquiry into the scandal.

In a letter sent to Obama late Tuesday, Holder urged Obama to exert executive privilege, because sharing internal documents with lawmakers could "have significant, damaging consequences.”

Significant, damaging consequences.. um yea.. I bet there is, which is WHY Obama used his 'exec privilege' to keep them the american people!!! Disgusting!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
M thoughts on the matter amount to this......
These people have displayed an absolute contempt of US law and the Congress.......
Presidential priviledge is just an obvious plo to stop America from seeing the evidence of their contempt as well as inept handing of the whole fast and furoius sting.(Inept is a kindness here incompetent would be a better description)
When is congress going to make the presidents stop bypassing its approval or censure?
Till that smack down happens, we are living in a dictatorship whether we can vote or not.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I'm beginning to believe that each administration is alotted one political disaster resulting in the deaths of many innocents, for which they will never receive punishment.

Wonder how many Romney will kill...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Flashback!!! The only time this guy tells the truth, is when his mouth is shut1

+55 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
'Mr. Transparency' . .. 'Mr. Nobel Peace Prize' ... Mr. "Hope and Change". :shk:
He's as corrupt as the day is long. And people still want to vote for him.
Unbelievable.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
here is a link to the live streaming of the House panel.. apparently they are still going to try to hold Holder in contempt..!

www.therightscoop.com...

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Is the corruption any more blatant?

Honestly, this is like watergate for god's sake. Executive Privilege? This should be illegal. If Congress asks you for something, you as President and Administration have a duty to provide it. They are the elected officials, they are the ones who are suppose to be check and balance.

This is really disgusting.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Already Posted

edit on 20-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Is it me or does this seem like an action of the guilty?

I prolly wont beat anyone too it, but yes Bush used this too.. but were they used in this same context? I mean scooter libby got put in jail, don't think bush was trying to protect him any more than he could

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Is the corruption any more blatant?

Honestly, this is like watergate for god's sake. Executive Privilege? This should be illegal. If Congress asks you for something, you as President and Administration have a duty to provide it. They are the elected officials, they are the ones who are suppose to be check and balance.

This is really disgusting.

~Tenth

Agreed! Could the corruption be anymore in the face of Americans! Holder previously testified that he never talked to Obama about fast and the furious, and now Obama can just sign his name and now these documents, that obviously prove soomething against Holder or the admin/Obama, most likely it would implicate both, and now noone is going to get to see it! SICK and WRONG! Obama should thrown out of office over this ASAP!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
These people have displayed an absolute contempt of US law and the Congress.......
Presidential priviledge is just an obvious plo to stop America from seeing the evidence of their contempt as well as inept handing of the whole fast and furoius sting.(Inept is a kindness here incompetent would be a better description)

The President has displayed absolute contempt of US law and the Congress. The president and Congress have both displayed absolute contempt of US law and our citizens. Obama has been ruling by decree and has blocked info into his background and other numerous illegal activities.

The Fast and Furious weapons trafficking operation was not a sting. It was a smuggling operation designed to "blow up" at an opportune time.

+23 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Impeachable offense, in my opinion.

Activating Executive Privilege because you want to claim it may breach national security, or safety of operations.. etc, is one thing.

Using it to try and halt a case from potentially filing criminal charges, against someone in your administration, is something entirely different.

I don't care if "Bush did it too". This is 2012, and I don't have a time machine.. though if this was his presidency today and he was doing the same thing, I would say exactly the same. It's the deed, not the doer. You really can't chalk this one up to partisan bickering.. this is really sleazy and criminal. We're talking real crime here, botched operations, and deaths of civilians and government agents as a direct result.
edit on 20-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This smells of keeping something more shocking under wraps than an already stunning Fast & Furious deal..

Are there details of worse activities that would surface, should the documents be released?

Would those documents draw a clear line to the White House?

Just being suspicious here, it just seems that using common sense, and this being an election year, it would have been so much more simpler to throw Holder under the bus, have him resign, and replaced..

I don't think this is about protecting Holder, it's protecting either folks higher up, or other operations that would make F&F look like child's play?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Very likely.

The conflicts across the border aren't exactly tame. It's one of the worst, most brutal conflicts the world has seen in some years. Cartels, no bounds. Really disturbing, really sick stuff.

I'm not sure I want to know, but there is without a doubt more to this than just F&F. Normally they wouldn't pull off such an operation without tagging other operations onto it. Drugs maybe, though this is known.. sometimes drugs are let over the border, by the tonnage. Protecting cartel members too, allowing high-profile cartel leaders into the country. This is all documented.. not related to F&F though, as far as I know. It's been a while since I've read about this.

It's a disgusting and shameful display. Really, most people have no idea how bad this Mexican cartel business really is.... it's bad. Bad, bad. Real suffering.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join