It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cameras in the classroom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Some years back my husband and I had made the decision to remove our older dd, who has Down Syndrome, from a pre-school program for children with certain disabilities. This decision was based on the fact that her behavior had changed dramatically and she was displaying signs of fear and trauma.
Being non-verbal she was unable to tell us what exactly was wrong, mind you, she was also only 3 at the time. We did seek answers from the teacher and assistants and really did not receive any that made sense. Once she was removed from the classroom and put in a different school her behavior greatly improved.

Fast forward many years later and the same teacher and assistant has been called out (read suspended) for using physical force with these kids and I've been asked to tell our story.

The school district is now doing what they can to remedy the situation.

And one of the possibilities that has been floating around are cameras in the classroom of students with non-verbal disabilities.

At first, I was very much for this. However, I've been really examining this from various angles, and I'm the bubble.

As a person who does some housecleaning on the side, it irks me that there could be a nanny cam right there watching my every move. I understand why, it's just that at the same time, I can see how the cams can be abused by others in authority to begin dictating exactly what a person can or can't do with regards to details that perhaps a homeowner doesn't understand very well. So, yes, I can see how a teacher can begin feeling like they're walking on eggshells, worried that others would not grasp a teaching style or such.

ATS gets a very diverse audience and I thought this may be a good place to discuss it and share thoughts.

Perhaps some of you may have some concerns either way.

edit on 20-6-2012 by SangriaRed because: clarification of thought

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SangriaRed

Well I am very much against surveillance especially because as you said it can be abused. But in the example of keeping an eye on children, especially one's with learning disabilities, to be aware of what is happening in a classroom, I don't see a problem. There's also a big problem with bullying in schools and the prescence of a camera could cut back on that.

I do agree, though, that it could make a teacher walk on eggshells which can hamper the learning process.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by shaluach

Yep I know.
In fact, I'm the one out of our group of friends around here telling everyone about the smart street cams and the surveillance. I'm the one that talks about Big Brother.

But this...this is different.

On the other hand... okay, but how many kids in general ed are walking around as undiagnosed cases of non-verbal disabilities and/or otherwise have something that is not yet diagnosed but makes it difficult for both teacher and student to be in the classroom together?

edit on 20-6-2012 by SangriaRed because: italics

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SangriaRed

I remember one time my 9th grade English teacher told me a story about how he used to teach kids with mental problems and a kid claimed he stabbed him with a pencil or something like that. But there were cameras in the room and saw that it the kid did it to himself. It saved his job I guess.

I'm against cameras in regular classrooms though. Kids with mental disestablishes cannot communicate or even understand that a teacher is doing something that they shouldn't be doing to them. So many tyrannical psychopaths teach special ed kids, I've seen them. There was one that was so mean to the kids in my elementary school.

edit on 20-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

And therein lies an issue.
It has the possibility of saving teachers from being falsely accused.

:/

Yes, there are some evil people in special ed. I can't figure out what the heck is wrong with these people??
I did hear that it's one of the most difficult jobs to have in the education industry, go figure.
Still, as a friend of mine said, there is a line that once crossed is crossed and they know better.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
You failed to mention if this was a private or public school. As a general rule, public employees should have no expectancy of privacy while on the job. They are public employees after all. It gooes without saying that everything they do is a matter of public record, especially when it involves the safety of children. Private schools are free to determine their own policies on the matter.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by borracho

Oops sorry yes public school. And I had thought of that aspect, as if the public is footing the bill for it then that opens a whole other can of worms.

top topics

join