It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A word on Enlightenment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This goes out to all you New agers.To be enlightened is to be aware. To have an awareness of something, one must have KNOWLEDGE of the existence of that something. In this case that something being enlightenment or awareness which in turn can only be boiled down to knowledge itself.Now, People are finite beings meaning we have limited boundaries. The knowledge we gain is also finite. Point being made is that in our finite state enlightenment is un-obtainable.Anyone looking into there finite self to find infinite knowledge is just kidding themself.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Theophorus

Are you an authority on this subject? Or are you just kidding yourself?

edit on 20-6-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Enlightenment is not about being aware of something. Enlightenment is about realizing that there are no 'things'.
Oneness has no 'things', it is one without a second.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

evil one what kind of enlightenment is that which preconise to wake up against that one while appreciating that there is nothing else

screwd u r forever

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theophorus
This goes out to all you New agers.To be enlightened is to be aware. To have an awareness of something, one must have KNOWLEDGE of the existence of that something. In this case that something being enlightenment or awareness which in turn can only be boiled down to knowledge itself.Now, People are finite beings meaning we have limited boundaries. The knowledge we gain is also finite. Point being made is that in our finite state enlightenment is un-obtainable.Anyone looking into there finite self to find infinite knowledge is just kidding themself.

To be enlightened is to move your identity from the tiny little ego-self to the center of the psyche. That can be a scary journey from the insane perspective of the ego-self, which must die and be reborn. Based on your post I would guess that ego-self perspective is YOUR perspective.

As your identity moves from the ego-self to the center, the doors of perception become clearer and clearer. Perception, and your interpretations of perceptions, are brought closer to accord with KNOWLEDGE.

edit on 20-6-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Enlightenment is not about being aware of something. Enlightenment is about realizing that there are no 'things'.
I truley dont understand what you are talking about. What do you mean by 'no things'. Are you talking about material things? What does 'one without a second'

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

To be enlightened is to move your identity from the tiny little ego-self to the center of the psyche. That can be a scary journey from the insane perspective of the ego-self, which must die and be reborn. Based on your post I would guess that ego-self perspective is YOUR perspective.

As your identity moves from the ego-self to the center, the doors of perception become clearer and clearer. Perception, and your interpretations of perceptions, are brought closer to accord with KNOWLEDGE.

the tiny little ego self? Center of the psyche? Perceptions brought closer to accord with knowledge? What are you talking about? Please explain. In order to have a perception about something wouldnt it be reasonable to presume that something must be acknowledged in the first place. You must KNOW that something exists befofe you can preceive it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Goodness!!!

Oh, did you know that the quantum (being a finite, indivisible unit of action, proven to exist over 100 years ago by its physical requirement, given the fact that electron orbits don't progressively decay into complete collapse) debunks the entire concept of the physical existence of infinity? It's true.

You can't prove the non-existence of infinity via expansion, but you can prove that it doesn't, and can't, exist via contraction - the required other expression of physical infinity. And 100 years ago, they did prove it. So much for any form of infinity, since infinity (if it is truly infinite) can't only be infinite in one direction.

Isn't logic and reality fun?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

I truley dont understand what you are talking about. What do you mean by 'no things'. Are you talking about material things? What does 'one without a second'

This isn't going to work out like you might hope. He really cannot properly explain any of this, and more threads have crashed over the stalled back and forth between two people (him and someone else) without anything ever being settled or even discerned concerning this nothing/everything/nothing theory. Just a heads-up before you spend your day on it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

the tiny little ego self? Center of the psyche? Perceptions brought closer to accord with knowledge? What are you talking about? Please explain. In order to have a perception about something wouldnt it be reasonable to presume that something must be acknowledged in the first place. You must KNOW that something exists befofe you can preceive it.

The part of you that thinks you are an individual separate from God and everyone else is your ego-self. You think you are "you" and only "you". You're not. You're more than you realize. Our separateness is an illusion.

"There is a continuum of cosmic consciousness against which our individuality builds but accidental fences, and into which our several minds plunge as into a mother sea." -William James

When you begin to move out of your ego-self and into the 'continuum of cosmic consciousness', otherwise known as the archetype of the Self, otherwise known as God, then you are beginning to become enlightened.

That process is found in world myth and religion time and time again...portrayed in symbolic form. It's called the monomyth. The best way to detect that process in religion and myth is by studying comparative mythology, comparative mysticism, and comparative religion. I recommend that you start with the work of Joseph Campbell.

www.amazon.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

That process is found in world myth and religion time and time again...portrayed in symbolic form. It's called the monomyth. The best way to detect that process in religion and myth is by studying comparative mythology, comparative mysticism, and comparative religion.

Oh...myth and religion. I see.

Okay then.

I wonder what myth and religion states as fact about the moon? About viruses and bacteria?

Damn, I'm glad I found this thread today.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Non duality (non conceptual awareness) is one without a second. Oneness is one without a second. Enlightenment is realizing oneness.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't listen to Noreaster if i were you he doesn't know what he is talking about, he will try to flog you his book to you soon.
He doesn't understand what i speak, so assumes i don't know what i am talking about, it is beyond his grasp, he is very rude and condesending.
He says i can't explain it but check out my posts and see if you agree. I will post these links to all the others that know what i know.
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...
youtu.be...

I have more if you would like me to post.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

That process is found in world myth and religion time and time again...portrayed in symbolic form. It's called the monomyth. The best way to detect that process in religion and myth is by studying comparative mythology, comparative mysticism, and comparative religion.

Okay then.

I wonder what myth and religion states as fact about the moon? About viruses and bacteria?

I don't like your vibe and so I'll just point out the words 'symbolic form', which I USED... and point you to the book I linked to and leave you to them.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Goodness!!!

Oh, did you know that the quantum (being a finite, indivisible unit of action, proven to exist over 100 years ago by its physical requirement, given the fact that electron orbits don't progressively decay into complete collapse) debunks the entire concept of the physical existence of infinity? It's true.

You can't prove the non-existence of infinity via expansion, but you can prove that it doesn't, and can't, exist via contraction - the required other expression of physical infinity. And 100 years ago, they did prove it. So much for any form of infinity, since infinity (if it is truly infinite) can't only be infinite in one direction.

Isn't logic and reality fun?
logic and reality is awesome. Seems to me though your definition of the word infinity is incorrect. The word infinity is derived from the latin word infinitas which means unboundedness. With out boundries. This includes time and space. Only physical things are in time and space. Knowledge is not. Your little proof of an electron that doesnt collapes is meaningless. I am totally aware that the physical ceases to exist.this is why advaita and its teachings on enlightenment is not correct.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

our separateness from god is an illusion? Is god not infinite and we finite?and if that is the case wouldnt my perception of that statement be an illusion to? In other words,how can anyone superimpose the finite on the infinite?

edit on 20-6-2012 by Theophorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   

This goes out to all you New agers.To be enlightened is to be aware.

You look at enlightenment as if it were a bulb that you turned on and now can see more around you. True enlightenment is the realization that all you see around you is an illusion, and when enlightened you have turned off the bulb that creates the illusion leaving oneness within yourself and without. The journey is not outwards but inwards.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

reply to post by BlueMule

our separateness from god is an illusion? Is god not infinite and we finite?and if that is the case wouldnt my perception of that statement be an illusion to?

All appearance is illusion. Only the seer of the illsuion is not illusionary.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

We are sons of God and are created to be creators. You made your own prison. A prison for your mind. It keeps you trapped in false beliefs about yourself. As you believe, you are.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Okay then.

I don't like your vibe and so I'll just point out the words 'symbolic form', which I USED... and point you to the book I linked to and leave you to them.

Symbolism isn't a clarification. In fact, I defy any of you to be able to explain what you actually believe in any form whatsoever besides symbolism and tortured poetry. I've been on this board for over 2 and a half years and I've yet to see anyone do more than toss out weary platitudes and thousand year old riff rehashes to explain this stuff. Makes a person doubt that it's anything that actually exists outside of the head of the person trying to sell it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join