It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder Contempt Vote Prepared in House; Asks President Obama to Exert Executive Privilege

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
video.foxnews.com...

I don't know what the headline means exactly. Is he asking Obama to hide the documents or something? It breaking so I guess it just happened, the live stream of it is above. There isn't an article to go with it.

--------------------------
Holder Contempt Vote Prepared in House
Holder Asks President Obama to Exert Executive Privilege
Obama Asserts Executive Privilege
Issa pushes ahead with Holder contempt vote despite Obama intervention

House Republicans appear to be charging ahead with a high-drama contempt vote against Eric Holder, after GOP Rep. Darrell Issa said the attorney generally failed to produce the documents he requested for the probe into the Justice Department's botched Fast and Furious operation.

www.foxnews.com...
online.wsj.com...

edit on 20-6-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Holder is in duck and cover mode right now. He showed up empty handed when he met with Issa yesterday and clearly he is prepared to go down with this ship. Not good if the MSM finally start to give this case the air time that it deserves. Fox is the only network covering this story to any degree or time space over 15 seconds.

He wants to hide behind Obama's presidential seal....

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Congress asked to see documents, Holder only wanted to brief them on the documents that he felt would clear him. It isn't enough for Issa, so he wants to push a contempt vote. Holder wants Obama to utilize his Executive Privilege to save him.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Obama Grants Holder Request for Executive Privilege on 'Fast and Furious' Documents

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
It would be funny if obama threw holder under the bus. It seems like that is obamas cue card. You can't go into an election season with holder hanging around. It would get the fake republicans to like obama again and liberals don't like holder, not even sure if eric holder likes eric holder, so no big loss.

However i should add that nothing will come of this as Issa is one of the richest members of congress over 300 million dollars, quite a lot to lose, he won't rock the boat over a pawn like holder.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Lord Jules because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

So much for transparency with this administration. Obama has hurt his campaign with this blatant cover-up move.

I predict Holder will be held on contempt charges. No backing down now. Obama has double downed. He's using his new improved, expanded tricky Dick handbook.

Des

edit on 20-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Doom and Gloom

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that bit of news yesterday, I didn't know what was going on.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   

The whole F&F thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
He's guilty I hope that Congress has the chutzpah to find him in Contempt.
And if Obama was part of this he needs to be Impeached.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
video.foxnews.com...

I don't know what the headline means exactly. Is he asking Obama to hide the documents or something? It breaking so I guess it just happened, the live stream of it is above. There isn't an article to go with it.

--------------------------
Holder Contempt Vote Prepared in House

House Republicans appear to be charging ahead with a high-drama contempt vote against Eric Holder, after GOP Rep. Darrell Issa said the attorney generally failed to produce the documents he requested for the probe into the Justice Department's botched Fast and Furious operation.

www.foxnews.com...

Your second link now contains an article, the headline of which is "Obama grants Holder request on 'Furious' documents as contempt vote looms." I find that very interesting as, at some point in all of this Fast & Furious scandal, it was said that the President, himself, and good ol' brother Janet knew all about it, too. What justifies our President holding our highest Attorney above the very laws that Attorney is supposed to protect? What message does that send?!

The way I interpret this is that, yes, he's asking for privileged protection which prevents him from having to produce the documentation demanded by Congress which essentially means exactly what you said: "hide the documents." However, I do not believe such privilege would have been granted if it were ONLY Holder's head that was going to potentially be on the proverbial chopping block. I believe there's an iceberg under this tip that would sink a dozen Titanics.

We've seen a lot of scandals in our government, particularly at the White House level, over the past 40 years or so, but no Administration has outstripped Nixon's inglorious record until now.

Unfortunately for us Regular Joe/Jane citizens, the rest of the world tends to think we're no better. Whose fault is that? OURS! The Greeks rise up, the French rise up, the Saudi's rise up, the Brits march, the Canadians ... well, don't ever second guess what our cousins to the North might do! (kudos, Canadians!) ... but us? we sit on our behinds and we "hope" it will "somehow" get better, blow over, not be as bad as it seems, etc. I'm certainly not saying that we should rise up in a chaotic, disorderly or harmful way, but we do need to find a way to make our voices heard and that way is NOT to keep voting for the "D" or the "R."

I'm disgusted with, and ashamed of, our government - from the White House all the way down to the local dog catcher. And, since I can, I'll make particular note to include Tribal Governments in my disgust and shame as they, for the greatest part, have excelled in modeling themselves after the Washington government ~ not all, but MANY!

We've had a Million Man March, we've had the hundreds of thousands (despite the media misreporting of numbers) of Glen Beck's Tea Party or whatever it was on the Mall (no, I'm not Tea Party or a Beck fan - but truth is truth) and other smaller but similar demonstrations. The "Occupy" movement was never anything but an intentional distraction with hired unruly kids. What we need NOW is something like a Ten Million Americans March - holding hands, standing together, a united front. Where is our next George Washington or Martin Luther King - a man or woman with the strength to bond our Nation back together and present a united front against our government until they get it right?

If you're out there, please step up!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I am surprised that Obama doesn't just throw Holder under the bus. It seems that by granting Holder executive privilege, he is opening himself up to criticism, if not his very own contempt charges from Issa's committee.

edit: Or perhaps there's something even more damning in those documents that the President doesn't want to come out. Maybe he TOLD Holder to not release them.
edit on 6/20/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: things that make you go "hmmmmm"

edit: Funny how Obama thought hiding behind executive privilege wasn't such a good thing back in 2007.

The American poeople deserve to know what's going on.

edit on 6/20/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: added video from 2007

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I feel treason charges should be brought against both Obama and Holder. This is similar to Iran-Contra, supplying weapons to an enemy of the state is treason, plain and simple.

I voted for Obama last election, that won't be happening again.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousCitizen
I am surprised that Obama doesn't just throw Holder under the bus. It seems that by granting Holder executive privilege, he is opening himself up to criticism, if not his very own contempt charges from Issa's committee.

edit: Or perhaps there's something even more damning in those documents that the President doesn't want to come out. Maybe he TOLD Holder to not release them.

It's because it goes all the way to the top, in my humble opinion. He will be criticized for invoking executive privileged but will be safer than letting the truth come out.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

He's using his new improved, expanded tricky Dick handbook.

Exactly.

But don't expect the same network coverage that Tricky Dick got back in the Watergate days.... or any comparisons.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Gotta love flip flopping politicians.

edit on 20-6-2012 by Covertblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack

It's because it goes all the way to the top, in my humble opinion. He will be criticized for invoking executive privileged but will be safer than letting the truth come out.
Remember Nixon invoked executive privilege during the Watergate scandal.
He resigned when the Supreme Court said, 'Oh no you can't!'

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Treason charges for all involved.
A short rope and a tall tree for all found guilty.
Nothing less, we are in a time of war you know.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

Originally posted by Covertblack

Remember Nixon invoked executive privilege during the Watergate scandal.
He resigned when the Supreme Court said, 'Oh no you can't!'

Ah yes, hopefully we can see the Court step up once again.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
What possible reason could there be to have this covered up save the criminal activities by our government? Guess we'll find out when Judgement Day rolls around.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Destinyone

He's using his new improved, expanded tricky Dick handbook.

Exactly.

But don't expect the same network coverage that Tricky Dick got back in the Watergate days.... or any comparisons.

I'll disagree here. This is BIG news. It can't be ignored by the MSM. Of course Fox will keep it on the front burner.

Even the Dems in Washington were thrown for a loop by this. They'll be asked by multiple reporters their opinion on Obama exerting executive privilege over DOJ documents, he's supposedly never seen. That is what Holder testified to under oath. A real catch 22 POTUS has inserted himself into.

Des

edit on 20-6-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Romney must feel like it's his birthday, getting a present like this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join