It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is wrong with religious thinking

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I have to pretty much agree with you. Although my personal opinions about God or Jesus may differ from yours, life is about loving everyone and everything. Religions tend to miss that sometimes. They get caught up with words, money, and every other thing imaginable.
edit on 20-6-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

You're mixing religion with a personal relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ. Jesus was the most anti-religious person who ever lived. The religious people murdered Jesus because He refused to follow their rules. True Christianity is about relationship, NOT religion.

edit on 20-6-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathbecomesLife

More specific then? It was NOT God. It was a single HUMAN, or group of HUMAN that erected the sign to use it to scare people into attending their church, or another church for the intent of filling up the seats, to obtain more financing for their building, so that it could grow larger to hold more people with more money...not for concern for someone salvation. A sign of this nature isn't erected for that reason.

Your "I" does not exist in the erection of the sign. Just as your "I" does not type this post. It is "isyeye" that types this, not God, nor anyone else that directs my fingers.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I have to pretty much agree with you. Although my personal opinions about God or Jesus may differ from yours, life is about loving everyone and everything. Religions tend to miss that sometimes. The get caught up with words, money, and every other thing imaginable.

I agree with you again, yet i disagree with your problem with the fellow who made this sign.

I cannot witness to his intentions or anything else but i believe you are taking your disdain out on him and his sign rather than the "organized religious powers that be". ORPTB, thats a cool acronym.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

God loves everyone. Even ET's, if they exist, because they are in the "world" also
edit on 20-6-2012 by SolaFide because: added the word "also"

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Your "I" does not exist in the erection of the sign. Just as your "I" does not type this post. It is "isyeye" that types this, not God, nor anyone else that directs my fingers.

You are a liar.

You cannot even acknowledge what I did.

While stating that you believe God is within all of us.

You lie.

I did it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I'm not a Christian, that's why I stated that my beliefs are different, but yes, Religion and a belief in Christ are not the same thing, and if someone is a Christian it should be about their relationship to that, and not Religion.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I am free to believe that God or Gods COULD be a part of us, and we can still be able to make individual decisions without them forcing our hand. I have not lied, you just are too wrapped into your "I" and your beliefs to see that there are many ways things could exist in the universe and NOONE knows what the true nature of God is, or if God even exist. God is not choosing my path until my body is no more...I believe it's known as free will...although I believe in varying degrees of it.

You are a liar.

So if "You" is "I", and "I" is God, you just stated that God is a liar.....nice belief system you have there. I think I'll stick with my own.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I am free

This is truth.
edit on 20-6-2012 by DeathbecomesLife because: To make the whole truth...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Doesn't freedom of speech extend to the members of that congregation as well?

There is nothing offensive about that sign that should raise eyebrows. I've noticed that atheists tend to be the most intolerant among us. Why is that?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I completely agree with you about the freedom of speech, and yes, those that erected the sign have full right to do so, but my opinion is more based on the fact that after thousands of years of evolution, we as humans just still can't seem to grasp that there are better ways to send a message than to use fear to get it across.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

You are a liar.

So if "You" is "I", and "I" is God, you just stated that God is a liar.....nice belief system you have there. I think I'll stick with my own.

You is not I.

I is I.

You is a liar because You have not seen what I has seen.

One I can only speak for one I.

You is a scape goat.
edit on 20-6-2012 by DeathbecomesLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

God is I.

One I can only speak for one I

Then if this is your belief, then only God can speak for God....not thru Jesus, not thru "you", and NOT thru a sign on the side of the road.

You can twist the meaning of words to change them however you want, but it doesn't mean that God had a direct hand in the building of a sign.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The if this is your belief, then only God can speak for God....not thru Jesus, not thru "you", and NOT thru a sign on the side of the road.

God is I. Only I can speak for I.

You can twist the meaning of words to change them however you want, but it doesn't mean that God had a direct hand in the building of a sign.

Ask the man who built the sign, "who built the sign?"

What would be his answer?

I did it!
edit on 20-6-2012 by DeathbecomesLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Your argument is valid, but your example is poor.

I want to encourage you to treat your "fear" as a "sign" to identify the area of your life in which you need to encourage enlightenment.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

...but ask then man who built the sign, or someone that knows who did build the sign, "What is the NAME of who built the sign," they would probably state his human given name. It's easy to play a game of words, but it's not going to change the fact that it was a human being that made a decision to place the sign there for reasons that were their own.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

reply to post by aaaiii

Yes it was...It was in Southern Alabama. I also find it a little too much in your face. There are just better ways to spead your message, or beliefs. I'm not really surprised by something like this, just more disappointed that our world hasn't moved past such limited thinking.

I am Christian and agree the devil part is negative advertisement , they should have listed a positive attribute of God.

The opposite side of the coin is the atheist evelution agenda is absolutely pushed in every single nature show , somehow some way they talk of evelution of a certain plant ,animal or rock ( sarcasm ). This continues with the indoctrination process in school with a theory of evelutionassed off as fact . Hypocrisy at its finest.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I googled the text of the sign. Here is an interview with the person who owns the sign explaining his thoughts. It looks like they briefly changed the sign to a political sign in 2005 and then restored it to its original text afterwards. At least there seems to be images of a similar sign again after 2005.
NPR Interview

edit on 20-6-2012 by cloudyday because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

...but ask then man who built the sign, or someone that knows who did build the sign, "What is the NAME of who built the sign," they would probably state his human given name. It's easy to play a game of words, but it's not going to change the fact that it was a human being that made a decision to place the sign there for reasons that were their own.

Names are irrelevant. They are forgotten in time. Who discovered fire? If we could find him, that individual would confess if asked, I did!

I is eternal.

I is primal.

I is the first recognition of self.

Know that I is God.

Be watchful over "you". You is a deceiver.

You is powerless.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Organised religion of ANY faith is vile and outdated. Humans will twist and manipulate the meanings of such faiths in the best way they see fit in order to benefit them in some form, usually either financially or for control means.

People need to stop being so stupid in believing in this crap.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SolaFide

First, I have no problem with the person who made the sign. I don't even know them. It's the sign itself. It doesn't create fear for me, only a little bit of disappointment in the state of spirituality in our world.

Second, thanks for your comment of using this for further enlightenment, because that's exactly what I do. It's not fear of these types of things that drive me to create a thread about this, but concern about those that may allow something like this to create fear in THEM. I care for everyone, even those that see the world differently from myself, and honestly feel that we would be in a better state in this world without the promotion of fear.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

Thanks for the link...I appreciate that.

If you want to get technical, "I" is NOT eternal. It's a letter of a man-made alphabet that hasn't always existed, and may someday be obsolete. God may be eternal, but words, letters, and their meanings are subject to change.

This was the reason the sign was erected:

SIMON: Yeah. What made you put up that sign?

Mr. NEWELL: Well, my mother, she told me, `On Sunday, if you don't go to church, the old devil's going to get you.' It always stuck in my mind.

SIMON: But why did you put that up on the sign as opposed to `Welcome to the Newell property. Have a good day,' or something like that?

Mr. NEWELL: I'm just trying to wake up the people. So many people have dropped out of churches, I'm just trying to get them back to churches

The sign was not erected by "I", but by Mr. Newell because of his Mother, and trying to get people back into the church.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join