It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The story of Alex ( Aljandro)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Hello ATS, Recently I have been involved in a thread about illegal immigration into the US. I have a pretty hard stance on it. But at the same time I am human, I have a heart, I have compassion, So let me tell you about Alex.

Alex is an illegal alien from Mexico, he is 20 years old. I have known Alex since he was 13 years old, I was introduced to Alex by my step-son. They are friends. Needless to say Alex has spent a lot of time in my home. We have broke many a loaves of bread together, his first bowl of chili was at my home. Go figure. Then he let me know, chili is a Texas thing, not Mexico.

Alex has allways been respectfull of me & my wife, allways thank you, allways your welcome. Only kid I ever seen wipe his feet prior to entering my home.( without being told to). Amazing!

When Alex was 16 he got into some trouble with the law, so did my stepson. My stepson went to court, took his medicine and all turned out well. Alex on the other hand is illegal, his mother got scared sent him to Texas to live with his birth father. Without going to court and getting that trouble taken care of. The trouble was minor. But I knew if It did not get taken care of it would'nt remain small.

The next time Alex called my stepson, I spoke to him. I asked him if he wanted to be in Texas, he said no. he said he works but his father takes his money. I asked him if he took care of that trouble, he said no. I said son that little trouble could come back and bite you in the butt later in life, that you need to take care of it. That you can't run from your problems, as they have a way of finding you no matter where you go.

I got in touch with my stepsons probation officer, explained the situation and asked for her help. She said first and foremost he must get this court date out of the way. I explained that Alex was a good kid, (bad parents) but a good kid. So I went and asked the court if I take responsability for Alex, as in a sponser foster parent I would.

Between me & the probation officer we got the court to agree to a continuance until I could get Alex back in N.C.
I got in touch with Alex's mom, she got me in touch with Alex. I sent the boy a bus ticket back to N.C. he arrived, we went to court that week. He got a hefty fine & cost of court and 6 months probation. All with the agreement that he live with us until the probation ended. That was 4 years ago. Alex completed his probation, lived with us, ate with us, played with us, cared about us and us about him. And he knew it. He knew we cared about him not because he was Illegal or Mexican, we cared because he is a good kid, A bright kid, one with a bright future as you could see it in his eye's.

Alex has since moved out and stared his own life. Good job, an apartment, a girlfriend, and is quite the artist. Tatoo art is his thing. The reason I even wrote this is, this past fathers day, last sunday. At about 8:30am My phone rang. No body calls my house at 8:30am on a sunday morning! It was Alex, he just wanted to wish me a happy fathers day. He called me his American dad, said I had done more for him, in the short time I had know him than his real father had his whole life.

He said he was forever gratefull for me and my wife, as we had treated him like one of our own children the time he lived with us. In fact the entire time we have known him. Needless to say that phone call really made my fathers day, later that day all my children came over for a bbq. My two kids, my three step-sons and Alex. The whole family was together again! But the most shocking part of the day was when Alex showed my & my wife his new tatoo. It was a heart, with mine & my wife's name in spanish and the phrase " my angels" above the names.

That touched me & wife in a profound way. As we did'nt realise we were that big a part of Alex's life. But I guess we are. So my family has grown one stronger as we are proud to know Alex and be a part of his life. Why, because he is a good kid with bad parents. And that's not Alex's fought. He's on his way to becomeing a legal citizen of the US. And a good man.
edit on 20-6-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Touching story. More power to you for seeing the goodness in the kid.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

You and your family (including Alex) are great examples of humanity gone right. Thank you. The best, most heart warming story I've read in years. I think I got something in my eye.. Seriously, though. Thank you for sharing this story.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Wonderful story.

You not only changed Alex's life for the better, but also the lives of everyone Alex will come in contact with thru the course of his life.

This is how one person, one family makes a difference.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Inquisitive1

Thank you, I/we did as we were taught by our parents. I had good parents, the best lessons they ever taught me were the ones they were'nt teaching me. As corny as that sounds. They were the examples, I grew up wanting to be like. In alot of ways I did.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks, I remember the day we were standing in court and the judge asked if Alex had a lawyer and any parent or guardian present. He had a lawyer ( court appointed) he had a probation officer helping. And me. Even though his mom lived in the same county, she was a no show that day. I was then the guardian, I thought " what the hell have you gotten yourself into" Knowing if this kid bolts & runs or gets into any more trouble, I would have to be the one explaining it to the judge.

Alex, all I can say is " Done me proud" paid his own cort cost's & fine and even wanted to pay to stay at our home. I instead made him put his " rent money" in the bank. We never took a dime of his money. Instead, he would go to our local grocery store and come home with all the fixings for chili. The boy loves em some chili.

new topics

top topics

join