It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global land surface temperature for May 2012 was the all-time warmest May on record.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Just read this:

"The global land surface temperature for May was 2.18°F (1.21°C) above the 20th century average of 52.0°F (11.1°C), the all-time warmest May on record. The margin of error is ±0.25°F (0.14°C)."

source: www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

They are talking about GLOBAL temperature, in the whole world.

Welcome to 2012. The Mayans are glad to have you here. Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
To clarify: it's land surface temperature.

When taking in account the ocean surface temperature, it's the second warmest May on record.

But we live on land surface, not on ocean surface.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
la la la fire.

la la la fire.

feeling HOT HOT HOT.

(remember that singing halloween skeleton? )

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Not here in the UK.

So far we have not had a summer at all.
Just one or two days of anything near 20c.

It's all been cloudy windy piss as per usual.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra
Just read this:

"The global land surface temperature for May was 2.18°F (1.21°C) above the 20th century average of 52.0°F (11.1°C), the all-time warmest May on record. The margin of error is ±0.25°F (0.14°C)."

Yawnnnn!

The warmest May ground temperature since records began which is about 0.0000000000000000000001% of the time life has existed on this rock and the second warmest may sea surface temperature since records began which is about 0.0000000000000000000001% of the time life has existed on this rock...

How can anyone actually sit there and say they are confident that we are causing the global temperature to rise when the only basis we have for comparison is the time my gran has been alive!!!

When the dinosaurs roamed the average temperature of the entire planet was 24oC, today is 14oC. It fluctuates like my pregnant partners mood...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by diddy1234
Not here in the UK.

So far we have not had a summer at all.
Just one or two days of anything near 20c.

It's all been cloudy windy piss as per usual.

You are soooooo right. I dont suffer from S.A.D in winter but in summer i do!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Just read this:

Yawnnnn!

The warmest May ground temperature since records began which is about 0.0000000000000000000001% of the time life has existed on this rock and the second warmest may sea surface temperature since records began which is about 0.0000000000000000000001% of the time life has existed on this rock...

How can anyone actually sit there and say they are confident that we are causing the global temperature to rise when the only basis we have for comparison is the time my gran has been alive!!!

When the dinosaurs roamed the average temperature of the entire planet was 24oC, today is 14oC. It fluctuates like my pregnant partners mood...

Who cares how many percent it is?

The records began on 1880.

How many Mays we had since 1880?

In my calculations, we had 132 Mays.

Out of 132 Mays, guess what was the warmest on land surface?? Yes, that's right, the May of 2012, the year of the Mayan doom.

Nice coincidence...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrmcleod

Just read this:

Yawnnnn!

Who cares how many percent it is?

The records began on 1880.

How many Mays we had since 1880?

In my calculations, we had 132 Mays.

Out of 132 Mays, guess what was the warmest on land surface?? Yes, that's right, the May of 2012, the year of the Mayan doom.

Nice coincidence...

Your telling me to ignore the percentages yet you are counting the Mays? Records began in 1880 but they weren't reliable until the approximately the 1940/50's.

132 Mays and this May is the warmest - big deal.

If we take a conservative estimate of say 100,000 years that humanity has existed on earth you will soon see that basing this May as a "Doom Spinning May" for global surface temperature is ridiculous.

Come back in 10,000 years and then look at the average temperatures of every May and see if there is a pattern, then draw a conclusion...don't use 100 odd years!

Its like studying 1000 people regarding an issue and saying the same applies to us all...its absurd!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
la la la fire.

la la la fire.

feeling HOT HOT HOT.

(remember that singing halloween skeleton? )

Especialy today .. they say its going to be very hot with the humidex
that will certainly not help the fires in colorado and NC
that has already eaten 70 000 acres

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It would be interesting to see how this compares with the ice records, which go back around 10,000 years. Even so every other year a new record seems to be set: Hottest, Coldest, Wettest, Driest, and it’s only really been this since approx. 1990 when nearly all the hottest years were recorded.

I don’t think it’s all solar activity (unless our sub is like planning on exploding or something!!) but the amount of CO2 pollution caused by industry is small compared with the amount released by deforestation. It’s truly epic what Brazil is doing, and has been getting worse (on average year by year) since at least the 1970’s.
Then you have the plastic poisoning the ocean life that eats it. Plankton is being affected, and this absorbs literally billions of CO2 tons.

Of course we still have China building a new coal plant (on average) almost every week, and that’s just China. And we will use gas & coal more, because the public very, very wrongfully & irrationally believe these options are safer than nuclear.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
It would be interesting to see how this compares with the ice records, which go back around 10,000 years. Even so every other year a new record seems to be set: Hottest, Coldest, Wettest, Driest, and it’s only really been this since approx. 1990 when nearly all the hottest years were recorded.

I don’t think it’s all solar activity (unless our sub is like planning on exploding or something!!) but the amount of CO2 pollution caused by industry is small compared with the amount released by deforestation. It’s truly epic what Brazil is doing, and has been getting worse (on average year by year) since at least the 1970’s.
Then you have the plastic poisoning the ocean life that eats it. Plankton is being affected, and this absorbs literally billions of CO2 tons.

Of course we still have China building a new coal plant (on average) almost every week, and that’s just China. And we will use gas & coal more, because the public very, very wrongfully & irrationally believe these options are safer than nuclear.

You're joking, right?

Shifting the blame for global warming from the highly pollutant industrialized nations to Brazil?

You can't be serious.

By the way:

Amazon Deforestation at Record Low, Data Shows

Published: June 9th, 2012

Deforestation of the Amazon has fallen to its lowest levels since records began, according to data recently released by Brazil's National Institute for Space Research.

The boost for the environment comes a week after president Dilma Rousseff was criticized for weakening the forest protection measures widely credited for the improvement, and two weeks before Brazil hosts the Rio+20 Earth summit.

Using satellite imagery, the institute said 6,418 square kilometers of Amazon forest was stripped in the 12 months before July 31, 2011 – the smallest area since annual measurements started in 1988.

source: www.climatecentral.org...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

So, exactly what are you trying to imply with this?

Did you know that as it gets hotter the atmosphere moisture content increases and with more moisture you get HOTTER temps?... This is a natural process.

You mentioned CO2 as the blame for the temps?... I doubt it, more so when during the Medieval, and Roman Warm Periods temperatures were WARMER GLOBALLY than now and atmospheric CO2 content was around 280ppm-290ppm (compared to 380-390ppm today)
edit on 21-6-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join