There should be a new Law against Throwing Food in the Trash Bin .. (Very Shocking Pictures)

page: 9
31
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81
 


I agree that this is sad and wrong. I worked in a restaurant a long time ago and we had to throw everything away at the end of the night. The same thing went in the military. I was a nutritionist and would sometimes work in the kitchen in the hospital. If the food was passed its "expiration" which is normally two days or if it has been reheated then we had to throw it out. Even if it was still edible. I believe it should have gone to homeless shelters or something. I remember when I was in elementary school in Florida the local Dunkin donuts would give the school the bagels that were left over at the end of the day and the school would hand them out at breakfast.

With that being said the last thing we need is another law telling us what we are allowed to throw out (with the exception of things like nuclear waste). Are lives are becoming more and more micro managed by the government everyday. I think it would be better to set up a system or program that would make it simple to for these restaurants and such to deliver or have the left over food picked up. Companies and business are more likely to do something good if there is an incentive, sad but true,




posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Signs of end of times
- Food thrown while others starving
Check



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Another strange ATS thread.

Something that was highlighted in another thread.

Peculiar demands for laws, or to ban things, this time a law against throwing food in the bin?



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Usually ill sit back read everything and won't chip in but this is close to home, i work in a supermarket naming no names and the amount of food thrown away only a day out of date or next to nothing wrong with it, sometimes something as little as the corner of the packaging has peeled open, is disgusting, we throw easily hundreds if not thousands of pounds of easily edible food away weekly and it needs to change



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickydbp
Usually ill sit back read everything and won't chip in but this is close to home, i work in a supermarket naming no names and the amount of food thrown away only a day out of date or next to nothing wrong with it, sometimes something as little as the corner of the packaging has peeled open, is disgusting, we throw easily hundreds if not thousands of pounds of easily edible food away weekly and it needs to change


Why don't you go buy a big truck, get with your manager about you and your truck personally delivering it to the facility?

Lead by example.....



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This is something that I have thought about from time to time. Every day, there is lots of perfectly good food that gets thrown out, when it could go to feeding the hungry.

Sure, not all of it is safe to give away after a while, but lots of companies and grocery stores throw out perfectly good food and it is a real shame.

I remember learning that my old school would throw out any of the food it had left over for the day, even though it would stay good for another couple days or so. I considered that a major waste. Why not take it to a homeless shelter or something?

I would love to see stores take the foods that they are throwing out, go through them and donate the good items that are still safe to eat.

But we have laws in the way that make this very difficult. Something needs to change about that....Lots of good food is being wasted and lots of lives are being lost due to hunger.

Personally, I think that needs to change.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
This is something that I have thought about from time to time. Every day, there is lots of perfectly good food that gets thrown out, when it could go to feeding the hungry.

Sure, not all of it is safe to give away after a while, but lots of companies and grocery stores throw out perfectly good food and it is a real shame.

I remember learning that my old school would throw out any of the food it had left over for the day, even though it would stay good for another couple days or so. I considered that a major waste. Why not take it to a homeless shelter or something?

I would love to see stores take the foods that they are throwing out, go through them and donate the good items that are still safe to eat.

But we have laws in the way that make this very difficult. Something needs to change about that....Lots of good food is being wasted and lots of lives are being lost due to hunger.

Personally, I think that needs to change.


I will ask you the same question:

Why don't you go out buy a big truck, pay for the fuel, make arrangements with local restaurants to pick up the food about to be thrown away, and deliver it to the facility of your choice?

Be the change you want to see



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


Where I live (Seattle)...many, many of the grocery stores donate food to the various food banks in the city. I am wondering why more cities don't do this?



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81
 


Instead of taking peoples rights away by passing oppressive laws, how about we instead begin to teach our children to not be such greedy wasteful little monsters! Then, as they grow up, they too will teach their kids. Problem solved.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

I will ask you the same question:

Why don't you go out buy a big truck, pay for the fuel, make arrangements with local restaurants to pick up the food about to be thrown away, and deliver it to the facility of your choice?

Be the change you want to see


Believe me, I would do that happily, if I could. But you know, not all of us are made of money.


If I were, that would be at the top of my priority list though.

How about you? Got any money for a big truck, fuel, a crew to pick things up and take them to different facilities?

If so, I would be glad to work with you on getting that started. Until then, I think the most any of us can do, is get in touch with our politicians, grocery stores and other food companies and encourage them to do the right thing.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, friend... and I assure you, I have done my part and continue to do so, in being the change I wish to see.

Frankly, those grocery stores already have things such as big trucks, fuel and a crew to transport these goods. Why not encourage them to utilize these resources in order to give back to their community?

Talking with local politicians and grocery stores is the most realistic way to go. The resources are already there to utilize. Some one has to be the squeaky wheel, so to speak, and that has been and still is, me.
edit on 21-6-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234
Another strange ATS thread.

Something that was highlighted in another thread.

Peculiar demands for laws, or to ban things, this time a law against throwing food in the bin?



If people cant follow a common sens rule of not throwing good find in the trash
when there is billion that are suffering of famine

THEN HELL YES

If people listen because they are scare of be fined

THEN HELL YES SO BE IT



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
reply to post by gimme_some_truth
 


Where I live (Seattle)...many, many of the grocery stores donate food to the various food banks in the city. I am wondering why more cities don't do this?


That is a great question, I suppose local laws play a big part in this. But I think it is time more of us speak out encouraging things to change. Let your voice be heard, with local politicians and with grocery stores that we want food not to be wasted considering there are many hungry people out there that would love to eat it.

The squeaky wheel, gets the grease as they say. Not everyone has the money to buy a big truck, fuel and a crew to haul things around, as another suggested we do, but, those big grocery stores already have these things, and to me, there is no reason why they should not utilize these resources in order to give back to the community.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
waste not want not. I have been indoctrinated by my late grandmother that it was a sin to throw food away. We at work give our left over sandwiches or whatever to whoever shows up that day. I have like 3 guys that show up and take whatever left over's I have and either eat them themselves or they bring them to an economic kitchen run by our local church.

After that, I have always eaten what I know will expire soon. I eat the bruised and crappy fruit first. I eat whatever I don't like but must eat so as to not fill my garbage with good food.

I don't know if it is because I grew up with family businesses, but we always took home the crappy stuff and left the good stuff to sell. I used to think it was backwards, but really it makes sense. We can sell the beautiful and good food, and eat the crappy broken or bruised stuff. It's a win win.

My grandparents lived through the Spanish civil war and the years of famine that followed. Our family was well off due to an insane work ethic and huge balls. The contrast of their situation from the rest of their neighbors made them think twice about being wasteful.

My grandparents , even though they were one of the wealthiest families in their city, never took a vacation, never threw anything away, never enjoyed the fruit of their work. They saw things that haunted them for all their years. It made them responsible and honest.

I don't know how much of their upbringing I have from my father, but I can tell you this I have learned. Wealth and excess does not go hand in hand with waste and irresponsibility. The more you have, the more you are responsible for. If you waste it it's because you are wasteful, not simply because you can and do. It is not natural no matter the justification you can push. If you are wasteful, you are backwards. It is not wrong to sacrifice even though you have much. In fact, it is natural, since by not wasting you can have more.



edit on 21-6-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81
 

You can not serve food that has been served to somebody else. People are dirty. Most hobos won't eat out of a trash can. Don't order more than you can eat.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Believe me, I would do that happily, if I could. But you know, not all of us are made of money.


If I were, that would be at the top of my priority list though.

How about you? Got any money for a big truck, fuel, a crew to pick things up and take them to different facilities?

If so, I would be glad to work with you on getting that started. Until then, I think the most any of us can do, is get in touch with our politicians, grocery stores and other food companies and encourage them to do the right thing.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, friend... and I assure you, I have done my part and continue to do so, in being the change I wish to see.

Frankly, those grocery stores already have things such as big trucks, fuel and a crew to transport these goods. Why not encourage them to utilize these resources in order to give back to their community?


Actually I already own a box truck, and I employ 8 people. I have neither the time, nor the inclination to use my resources to do anything about this issue. My #1 priority is running my business in a way that maximizes profit while minimizing expenses. That way supporting my family is not an issue, my kids do not go without, and my employees receive the paychecks they have earned.

I find it simply laughable that certain folks have the gall to demand that restaurant/grocery store owners do a certain something with their own property.

The food is the property of the person/company who purchased it. If they want to throw it away, that is their right. Some people believe otherwise, and want government to further infringe upon personal property rights. Now that is absolutely pathetic.

People whine about "billions living in famine". Well if those people wouldn't breed irresponsibly, and produce children they cannot adequately feed and care for, who is really to blame here?



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
people need to quit being so needy thats the real prblem. I work as a chef and have been known to yell at the people who sign my paychecks for throwing out food.
Unortunatly they stll seem not to listen.

If people weren't such pampered ass princess' then restaraunts wouldn't feel the need to throw out food. All the lettuce stalks, carrot skins and things like that I use for making stock. All the fat from trimming meat goes in the grinds. Avacados that are starting to brown go to guaccamolle. There are MANY ways to use and recycle food that you would just throw in the garbage. In restaraunts little saving like this add up big time in the long run.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth


The squeaky wheel, gets the grease as they say. Not everyone has the money to buy a big truck, fuel and a crew to haul things around, as another suggested we do, but, those big grocery stores already have these things, and to me, there is no reason why they should not utilize these resources in order to give back to the community.


So you want those big grocery stores to spend money on fuel, labor, and maintenance to deliver their PROPERTY to someone else?

Why dont you and others like you get together, pool your resources, buy the truck, the fuel, and deliver the goods yourself?

I suppose it is much easier to sit back and demand someone else do something you think should be done.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd
 


since when did it become your right to decide whether somone gets to eat or not?



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81
[

This is nothing. I used to work a donut shop as a teenager, and at the end of the day we would toss EVERYTHING. Granted we could take home all we wanted, even still it felt terrible throwing away in-tact foodstuffs.



posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81
 


I don't have time to read all the posts, but hopefully by now someone has pointed out the truth. They have no choice and cannot give the food to the needy even if they wanted to. Your angry at the wrong people.





new topics
top topics
 
31
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

log in

join