It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There should be a new Law against Throwing Food in the Trash Bin .. (Very Shocking Pictures)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Preta
I've been constantly keeping track of this website and had to cave in for an account when I saw this particular thread.

I work at a bagel-shop (a very popular, mainstream business on the east coast) where we are forced to throw away close to 40 bagels EACH NIGHT. Since we are corporate, we are not allowed to drop these off at various shelters/homes for people that can barely get by.

Of course, when someone school/church comes in with a fundraiser request, my work is happy to oblige their service since profit is always included. Each time I close, I make sure to bag all bagels and grab the "last night's" bundles to give to a lady who takes them to a battered-women's shelter/homeless shelter. However, I only close 3 nights a week (at the most)...

It disgusts me when my district manager just shrugs his shoulders when I show him my disapproval for these actions across the country...

Why don't you start your own bagel shop?

That way, you can give away your bagels to anyone and everyone.

Instead of worrying about what other people do with their property, focus on doing something you believe in with yours.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
. I was alone the first 5 hours of my shift...so what I would do is mark the (throw away donuts) on the sheet and then hand them out to people who were living on the streets...I would give them free coffee too.

So you stole from your employer to make yourself feel better.

I'm assuming you won employee of the month for the entire year correct?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I dont think this will work, people will dawn some grubby clothes and just eat there instead of eating out. Its only 1 day old, who wouldnt go and get free bread / salad / meats / etc. It wouldnt work for that simple reason, too many people are not honest.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

How is it stealing from your employer if you are bagging them up, instead of throwing them in the trash? It is not like they are something that needs to be replaced, its not like they are stacks of paper or pens or ink cartidges or something. These donuts are going into the bin to rot and disappear. Cant steal something when the owner is about the throw it out. If you really want to get anal, he could have put them in a bag, placed them inside the dumpster - making it public property then giving them away, if that makes you feel better.. One mans garbage.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The pictures the OP showed is nothing. Years ago I worked in a deli for a grocery franchise in Canada, every night at 9:00PM we would dump everything that was left over from the hot foods/salads.

It was ridiculous how much food we tossed out, literally hundreds of dollars worth on some nights. It made me wonder how the hell these places stay in business. By policy we were never allowed to take any of the food home, and the bulk of it wasn't even tossed in a compost bin, just directly in the trash.

I don't know how this system works, where every single day corporate business is tossing out literally millions of dollars of good edible food while there are millions of people living off food stamps.
edit on 21-6-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by gostr

How is it stealing from your employer if you are bagging them up, instead of throwing them in the trash? It is not like they are something that needs to be replaced, its not like they are stacks of paper or pens or ink cartidges or something. These donuts are going into the bin to rot and disappear. Cant steal something when the owner is about the throw it out. If you really want to get anal, he could have put them in a bag, placed them inside the dumpster - making it public property then giving them away, if that makes you feel better.. One mans garbage.

Perhaps you should read that posters comment again.

Focus your mad reading skills on the last 7 words of the quote in my post.

I'll specify:

caladonea said
I would give them free coffee too.

edit on 21-6-2012 by FreeFromTheHerd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Instead of throwing the ruined donuts in the garbage...I gave them to poor people who were hungry...and I did this to make them feel better...and I have no regrets. Oh and yes I gave them coffee too. You don't like what I did ...I don't care.

edit on 21-6-2012 by caladonea because: correction

edit on 21-6-2012 by caladonea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I was referring to your comment that you "gave them free coffee".

As I said before, you stole from your employer to make yourself feel better.

How nice it is to see that you are so charitable when it comes to other peoples money.

edit on 21-6-2012 by FreeFromTheHerd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Oh...and I forgot to mention.....the owner did find out what I was dong...and let me continue. We started dating and he became my husband.

Judge me all you want to...if that is what you need to feel better about yourself.

I am glad I didn't throw those donuts in the trash...too much food is wasted in this country...

edit on 21-6-2012 by caladonea because: addmore

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

You admitted to being a thief.

That is not me making a judgment, thats called a confession

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I strongly agree that perfectly edible food should never be wasted in such a manner, considering there are people in the world who go without every single day. Last year I worked part time at a Tim Horton's and wondered why they would constantly throw away what seemed like perfectly good baked items, sure they might have been a tad stale, but edible nonetheless. Anyways, I eventually asked my manager why we didn't just donate the leftover baked goods to a charity of some sort and I was told that it had been attempted, but there were some issues...

Apparently the food had made *some* people sick and they decided to blame Tim Horton's directly, so I learned that restaurants, grocery stores, etc. dump their excess food in order to save themselves a lawsuit down the road. It's still a damn shame, but I can see where it could come back to hurt their image. At least that's what I was told....

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
reply to post by Juanxlink

Pointless law ?
such laws are the futur

cant believe only a few country have a system to recycle the food
and donate what wasnt sold
Germany do have such system like previously stated

The surprise will be on you this 21 december

Cant really understand what you say there, try using all the letters next time, and remember to not press enter at will.
About the dec 21st surprise? Can you be more specific? I hate surprises, and silly fearmongers.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I agree! Why not take the leftovers to a local homeless shelter!! I use to work at a homeless shelter and we depended on local churches to bring dinner. I use to wonder- why we didnt have much food in the shelter? I thought that the Government provided funding for the homeless. Basically the people running the shelter were putting the Government Funding into buying a fancy office and giving bogus classes instead of getting off their butts and transporting the poor people out to look for work. I also found out that one of the women had bought herself a home with the Government funding for the homeless.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
law? pshhhht lol

one of my aunts got fired from mcdonalds for giving away a burger to a homeless person that was going to be thrown away anyway.
no law just our dam understanding that 20,000 children die from starvation every dam day

this crap pisses me off!
i volunteered at a day care center about 2 years back, kids that didn't finish their food (which was most; 2, 3, 4 yr old_ they would dump the remaining left on the plate into a big bowl.
it was disgusting of how much food was thrown away there.

with a monetary system in place it wouldn't be profitable if this was to be done but, c'mon, humanity is F...*.....*......*......*......D

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
i work third shift in a grocery store, and the a.m. hours are when the establishment i work in pitches all of their "stale" baked goods. picture a full grocery cart, every single night, full of every kind of baked good you can imagine, just waiting to be thrown into the trash. boxes of doughnuts, loaves of bread, muffins, bagels, everything.

these things aren't moldy, or unedible whatsoever, they've just reached the "sell by" date and didn't get sold during their ONE DAY on markdown. the store doesn't even bother to mark them anything past 40% off if they're even a day old, they could sell everything if they reduced them to 75% off when they're a day old and there'd be no waste. but they want people to buy the new, full priced bakery items instead of a more budget-friendly markdown price.

and whatever their excuse for not donating this stuff to shelters or food banks, i don't even know. "food safety" concerns probably, but that's bull#. this stuff is so full of preservatives, it barely grows mold even weeks after purchase. if they were really worried about someone filing a frivolous "food poisioning" lawsuit or something they could have charity organizations sign some release form stating that donations are at their own risk and if someone gets sick they're not liable for damages.

anyway, seeing those carts night after night full of food that could take someone's hunger pangs away be THROWN THE F**K AWAY makes my blood boil, and i never get used to the sight.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Hahah do you live under a shell? Come over to downtown Los Angeles. It's horrible here.

They LOCK the trash bins. Restaurants throw away perfectly good food, and then LOCK their trash-bins so that the homeless don't ravage their bins.

SOOO much wasted food.

My personal Bias?
I'm an hourly employee with a college degree who is working for his buck, and would rather see the food go to someone like me (a starving artist) than a bum who just stumbled along the right dumpster.

But, looks like neither of us is getting squat.

Selfish? No.
I'm on the grind.
The crack addiction was their choice.

...probably still makes more than me on the corner hustlin dollars.

Welcome to America.
edit on 21-6-2012 by boomboxpanda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I'm sure someone here has already explained why this is the case.

However, because of food safety regulations food establishments are generally not able to donate their left over food. What needs to happen is some type law which allows food establishments to give away food under a good semaritan type law. That so long as the food was safe enough to sell, that it could be safe enough to give away to eat, and that nobody could be sued for it.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
OH NOES THE GOVERNMENT DOESN'T PASS LAWS !!! NOOooo

Stop whining about the laws and take initiative, take 3-4 of your friends, each one with his own car, and take a trip to as many restaurants as you can and collect "garbage" food. After collecting enough, go and give it to the homeless shelter or cantine.

There are a lot of good people out there that own food joints and are eager to help, so stop crying and start acting because it will help more.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Wanna know whats worse than this terrible waste of food..

The fact that here in Australia, you can be arrested for theft and fined if caught taking discarded frood products from the bins of supermarkets and other stores.

Most supermarkets will throw out any stock that is nearly out of date, which can add upto $100,000's in wasted produce each year. However, the supermarkets maintain that any goods dicarded are still their property and anyone taking it is stealing. They would rather people come in and buy products from the shelves instead.

Most homeless people would be thrown out of the store if they came in to buy food (provided they had enough money to actually buy something)...

The law is pretty laughable sometimes..

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
It's late and I apologize beforehand for not reading too much into all the posts, save for the OP and a few afterwards, but I don't feel the government should step in to Americans wasting food. I do however get upset when people waste food, I myself try to eat all the leftovers at my house and hate seeing food go to waste, especially going to my biological momz pad as a child to see naked cupboards and a fridge. Considering how Americans see themselves as an example to the world, we should take it upon ourselves to use food-saving techniques. I come from a middle-class family and even though the household is good to go on food, I still hate seeing food go to waste. Self-responsibility should be a major factor in not letting food being thrown out. When I worked at Taco Bell as a janitor I was told to throw out a burrito because the customer thought it was "too hot," Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
It's like purchasing a Slurpee and asking for a refund because it was too cold.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join