It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There should be a new Law against Throwing Food in the Trash Bin .. (Very Shocking Pictures)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
For those who wish to read more - I remembered a very good book I read about this -

Waste by Tristram Stuart.

More info here ~

www.tristramstuart.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It's probably all processed food and deserves to be thrown away. I don't know why you want a law you still poop it out into the trash. There should be a law against throwing away your freedoms.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
how will this law be enforced?
what a ridiculous idea.
it would be better to start an initiative to help get the food at supermarkets and restaurants before its thrown out and used at local food banks.
Its not like this food is going to get to the starving glue addicting kids in Africa.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I've worked in a bread factory and small greengrocer and both of them gave surplus to pig farmers. Bread factory was huge and skips full of baked goods would be collected every few days. Nothing was wrong with it, mishapes mostly. The greengrocer had previously paid to have waste produce specially disposed of. So a pig farmer collecting and disposing for free was excellent news to my boss. None of the fruit n veg was bad, just unsold.
edit on 20-6-2012 by jannerfish because: Except rhubarb. Pig farmer said it made his pigs ill. So I usually made crumble with the excess!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Is it sad? Yes
Is it wasteful, very

Am I enraged.......no. It takes a little more than food in a dumpster to "enrage" me.

By all means though, you are right what we need are more laws. We don't have enough laws trying to legislate morality and common sense now. /sarcasm

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The whole system sucks.
Its is oriented towards money, profit, and loss, labour savings etc....
The vaule for me is that it allows me the freedom to live off the garbage of the so called normal society.
Its not my fault they cannot see the value in a properly aged piece of beefsteak, or slightly off colour or spotted veges which when skinned are indestinguishable form the "fresh" o0nes....
Much of the veges and fruits are already months old before they get sold.....and the fresh stuff is mostly poorly ripend and prematurely picked.
Organic is a money scam, because how can an organic farm exist in a county thats perdominently unorganic? naw, i call BS.
Food is something that we have been made to ber absoutely squeemish about by propaganda and conditioning.
reality is that so much can be eaten probably far past its date...without death or sickness
that its illegal to dumpster dive......
If we knew the truth of why wed all be doing it.......

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Why not just give it away for free all the time? If you're giving it away anyway...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
It's not the fault of the restaraunts it's the government restrictions put in place to make shure food is safe to eat for the consumer, if the food has been left out all day on display it will be at room temperature, bacteria multiplys at 5 - 72 degrees, bacteria multiplys every 20 mins so 100 can muliply to well over a million if the food if left out all day and it only takes under 500 to make you sick trust me I'm a chef :p I have to deal with this # every day

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
reply to post by Juanxlink

Pointless law ?
such laws are the futur

cant believe only a few country have a system to recycle the food
and donate what wasnt sold
Germany do have such system like previously stated

The surprise will be on you this 21 december

Yeah it's a convenient belief to assume that "by magic" all the problems of the world will be solved on the 21th dec, by some magical, external event.

I assume, let's just assume you would be overweight, you would likely also think there is a magic pill you can take to lose weight - instead of at some point realizing that you need to eat better and get more exercise? That's probably the sole reason scam companies do actually STILL exist advertising a diet pill on TV, and they are STILL getting sold...because it's just more convenient for the lazy American to assume a pill would solve the problem instead of actually DOING something.

And the 2012 "phenomenon" is the same thing, just in an extreme form, if you seriously and passively believe that the world will change itself while you are sitting in your lazy chair at home - all you need to do is wait. Because everything (including the solution of all problems on this planet) will be handed to you

edit on 20-6-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I did some volunteer work for a food bank ministry and we went to several grocery stores to collect food that was to be thrown away. Most of the stores were very happy to donate to the ministry. There was TONS of food to haul off. Meats, Vegetables, Cakes, Donuts, Dairy.. We would bring it back to the food bank, divide everything into assorted boxes and needy people by the droves came in to take home a good amount per house hold.

So not all stores are so wasteful... Sad to say a lot are though

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoctorMobius
reply to post by Ben81

I worked at walmart, and we were forced to throw away tons of food a week. Once clothes where out of season we were forced to cut them up with scissors or bleach them. I refused and quit, I have limits.

they are paying people destroying new stuff just for that reason

I would have made quite a scene if i was there
until the boss change his mind or fire me
but i wouldnt go chop clothes because the boss dont want anyone to have it freely

greedy biatch

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Salmonela Need I say more?
So you give this old food away and someone gets food poisoning then that person either dies or sues you. No sorry mate there should be no law forcing people to not dispose of food.

As a youth I was homeless and one of the centres I would go to to get a meal would get donations from a local bakery of their leftovers. You are suggesting forced morality thats worse than wasted food.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Problem is, that well, I dont get to just eat all I want. And I have a job and work for my food. Why should we just be handing out food to people who dont even have to work for it. Wheres my damn handout?

Not to mention, have you not realized that most of that food thrown away is usually picked thru by homeless anyway. There's really no need to give it to them. They just take it anyway.

Im not saying that I truly want handed free food from a dumpster, but i also don't believe in helping people that cant help themselves. I understand that there are many different situations that might put a person on the streets. But the ones that are willing to look for it, are really the only ones that deserve it. Not the ones just sitting around getting drunk and high on god knows what.

" Go ahead, get all messed up all day, and at 5 o clock we'll have some free food for you."

Why would anyone want to help themselves if ^^^ that was the case?

ETA: I also wanted to add, that yes, destroying or throwing away excess product may seem like a waste, but consider that the production of said "excess" allowed for others to work. One poster pointed out that in a previous job, he was told to destroy out of season clothes. Which, for some is morally unethical, but to me, Im considering the possible overtime and such that went into making those products. If we only produced exactly what was needed and no more, our job market would be dying even faster. So, again, why take away from those that are willing to work and take care of themselves?
edit on 20-6-2012 by Chickensalad because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2012 by Chickensalad because: grammar

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Who wants to pay for day-old bread?
Not this trumpet player.
Besides, it gives the bums, raccoons, and coyotes sustenance.
Not enraged at all. The normal order of things.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pierregustavetoutant
Who wants to pay for day-old bread?
Not this trumpet player.
Besides, it gives the bums, raccoons, and coyotes sustenance.
Not enraged at all. The normal order of things.

Had the same kind of though 20 yrs ago
i will always remember when my grandfather was really angry at me one time
for throwing the rest of my sandwich in the trash bin

I told him .. it was okay .. the more we throw away food in the trash
the more poor people will be able to eat

I had a good though
.. but damn i was wrong lol
this memory is hard to lose .. your grandfather being angry at you
and i couldnt understand why it was bad wasting food when there are people dying of hunger

I still sometime waste food but im more carefull
and these days .. the food is extremely expensive

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I've been constantly keeping track of this website and had to cave in for an account when I saw this particular thread.

I work at a bagel-shop (a very popular, mainstream business on the east coast) where we are forced to throw away close to 40 bagels EACH NIGHT. Since we are corporate, we are not allowed to drop these off at various shelters/homes for people that can barely get by.

Of course, when someone school/church comes in with a fundraiser request, my work is happy to oblige their service since profit is always included. Each time I close, I make sure to bag all bagels and grab the "last night's" bundles to give to a lady who takes them to a battered-women's shelter/homeless shelter. However, I only close 3 nights a week (at the most)...

It disgusts me when my district manager just shrugs his shoulders when I show him my disapproval for these actions across the country...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Preta

Several years ago....I worked the very early shift in a doughnut shop downtown where I live. I would start like at 5am. I was left to run the counter and wait on customers. If a batch of donuts didn't look right or fell apart...we were told to mark them on an inventory sheet and throw them away. I was alone the first 5 hours of my shift...so what I would do is mark the (throw away donuts) on the sheet and then hand them out to people who were living on the streets...I would give them free coffee too.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This is caused by the artificial scarcity necessary for capitalism. Overproduction is destroyed in order to maintain scarcity. Underproduction creates demand and raises prices. Overproduction decreases demand and profit.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

A group of people take food recycling so seriously, they're willing to dive into trash receptacles to get to food

This got to stop .. dont they have any notion of respect for the millions dying in africa ?
each day they should hire a van to take all the food they dont want to sell anymore
and bring it to a center where people in need and homeless can feed all they want

Canada and US should show a exemple by signing such important law
and even create a free service for all restos and grocery stores to pick up their food

So come on Obama and Harper .. its time to sign some real laws in place

NO MORE WASTING FOOD OR BE HEAVELY FINED
edit on 6/20/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

There are already enough laws in place. As a matter of fact, some of those laws are the reason why so much food from restaurants & stores (everywhere food is sold) is thrown away in the first place. If these foods are "donated" and a person becomes ill, possible law suits. The people throwing this food away aren't going to risk that. Without so much fear of the laws that are already in place, much of this waste would be donated.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well, my bakery does a pretty good job with this.

Firstly, we are NOT allowed to give the old bread to shelters etc. The only thing that can be donated is sealed, canned, or dry foods. So we have a Dollar bin.

Every day we check and rotate to get the less-than-fresh items into that bin and people love it. We close only on Mondays so people know that 1 hour before closing on Sunday night, everything has to go! Many times our shelves are cleaned out at a dollar per loaf or bag of buns etc. Some others are half price but still get grabbed up.

We have also noticed that it is the less fortunate that come in to get these items and that's great. If we know someone, a dollar often gets them a few items and not just one. I also have a feeling that some local shelters or group home directors are in here because they buy 20-30 items...at a dollar each.

So that's how we skirt the law legally and everyone wins. Well, we lose actually but not as much and we would rather see someone enjoy a loaf of bread than throw it out to the bins.

Peace

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join