It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There should be a new Law against Throwing Food in the Trash Bin .. (Very Shocking Pictures)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Sometime food from the trash bin is more fresh then the food being sold in stores

This was uploaded yesterday ...

Cannot imagine the face she did when she realised she bite in that

The Lady after bitting in that egg " Oooooo maaaa godddd spit,barf,spit,barf"
precisly in that order

Love those cadbury eggs mmm
but i will be carefull to eat the top first in the futur

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I worked for several years at a culinary school in Denver. They (obviously) made food 24/7 - even have their own restaurant for the public. After each meal was made, the food was tasted (tested?) by the head chefs and then dumped in the trash - the whole lot of it. I was stunned by the amount of food that went to waste on an hourly basis but I was informed it is against the law in colorado to give away the food. I understand the liability aspect, but it seemed to me to be a case of just not thinking the darn thing through. Can I sue a restaurant that serves me a meal that makes me sick? If so, I'd be a rich man. Try recovering from food poisoning from bad sushi - it sucks but I never would have thought to sue the restaurant.

CJ

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrandHeretic
reply to post by butcherguy

I was hinting more to the middle class, too rich to qualify for food stamps or welfare, but too poor to afford a decent meal on their table.....I dont really care about the hood rats....they deserve obesity provided by their government.

Its the hard working middle class that pays most of the taxes and has to suffer the most. All because most of them are self suffcient and would rather work than be on the dole.
I got ya' now.
True on all counts, I have to watch my spending at the grocery store.... It was not an issue two years ago.

link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

People sue restaurants all the time for getting sick. Which is why they don't want to donate food for fear of a lawsuit. If there's already a risk of being sued by the people that are buying food from them, there's probably a lot more chance for being sued over donated food.

link   
reply to post by butcherguy

What if some toxic cleaning agent got spilled on some of that bread and that was the reason that it was thrown away?
I would be wary of eating food from a dumpster, and I couldn't blame a store for trying to prevent people from doing any dumpster-diving. That would be asking for a lawsuit.

no what if about it except for a roy rodgers i worked in once
most of the fast foods and restaurants pour lestoil or other chemicals on it so it can't be eaten

this is like a dog pissing on food he cant eat cause he's full

they'd rather somebody starved to death than give it away to some charity

link   
reply to post by Auricom

But you see, it makes some sense from their point of view, because if they do anything other than throw it away, then people have an incentive to stop buying it and just wait to get it for free. Now, of course, the homeless people probably wouldn't be eating takeout anyway, but the issue of people getting sick is cause for concern. If they get sick, they can sue. If food has been sitting out for too long, then it's considered possibly overgrown with bacteria. Not that people would throw it away if they bought it at their own house if it had been sitting out for a number of hours. Some might. Not all. Things do have to be served soon or thrown out or refrigerated. But, really, people without food are eating out of dumpsters anyway. The courts could just look the other way when someone gets caught in the dumpster, if they wanted to be nice. But, the courts are always on the side of the money.

We live in a world dominated by greedy rich people whose worst fear is losing money. That is the cause of so many problems -- their fear.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Not wanting to lose money is not greed. Ever owned a business? I do. Opening yourself up to liability which would affect your livelihood is not greed, it is smart business.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

This is disgusting. There used to be a time when bakeries would send the unsold food to homeless shelters and food kitchens. What happened to that ? Have we gotten that lazy?

This is so sad.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
Here in Germany we have a charity organisation that collects food from restaurants, supermarkets and other stores, that would've ended in the trash. They take it to food banks and to help out homeless and other poor people. I think this should exist in every modern country.
The food isn't bad, it's just that most stores produce so much, they can't sell it and throw it away or deem it unsaleable because vegetables might have some dark spots or the package was ripped open. I don't understand why they do it.

In Seattle, WA where I live... we have many food banks throughout the city... they collect food from a lot of grocery stores...Safeway, QFC, Trader Joe's to name a few. Times are though...people won't go hungry in this city!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I bit into an almond the other day that had a dead bug with eggs in it. I will NEVER buy that brand of Almond again or any other product that company sells. I have had it with disgusting food. I almost don't want to eat.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Can I sue a restaurant that serves me a meal that makes me sick? If so, I'd be a rich man. Try recovering from food poisoning from bad sushi - it sucks but I never would have thought to sue the restaurant.

You can dig the food out of their trash bin, eat it without paying for it, or without their knowledge, and still sue them if you get sick.
You can claim there were no warning signs that the food wasn't for consumption, the trash wasn't properly secured, the food wasn't properly disposed of, and it was negligence on their part that made you get sick.

Still, instead of more laws, I believe we need less laws.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

A couple of grocery stores got sued over chipped teeth and people getting sick. It has nothing to do with being lazy, and everything to do with losing potentially millions that some of them can't afford to lose.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

My Dad used to open convenience stores and truck stops. One time we took over an old country store, and most of the food was expired, but he decided to bring a few things home. (Dad has always been a bit of a survivalist too.) So, one of the things was this jar of peaunut butter. We ate that thing for a week or two, and I never really liked crunchy peanut butter, but I was eating it anyway... until..... Mom was fixing some sandwiches and noticed some of the crunchy stuff moving! It never was crunchy peanut butter, it was creamy peanut butter with eggs and bugs in it. Phluuuchkk! I still cannot even look at an open jar of crunchy peanut butter to this day. I suppose the bugs were just a little extra protein, none of us got sick, but yuck!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If you think that is bad, you should see how much food the public schools throw away! Keep in mind that the food from resuraunts are paid for with private funds while the food at the public schools is paid for by taxpayers. The program is federally funded.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Ben81

My Dad used to open convenience stores and truck stops. One time we took over an old country store, and most of the food was expired, but he decided to bring a few things home. (Dad has always been a bit of a survivalist too.) So, one of the things was this jar of peaunut butter. We ate that thing for a week or two, and I never really liked crunchy peanut butter, but I was eating it anyway... until..... Mom was fixing some sandwiches and noticed some of the crunchy stuff moving! It never was crunchy peanut butter, it was creamy peanut butter with eggs and bugs in it. Phluuuchkk! I still cannot even look at an open jar of crunchy peanut butter to this day. I suppose the bugs were just a little extra protein, none of us got sick, but yuck!

Damn that was gross

best proteine mix ever .. bugs and peanut butter .. yummy
the jar was sealed ?

i had a huge peanut butter opened jar after moving
didnt touch it for at least 2 yrs and it was from my parent home when i moved
tried it after feeling for PB.. the taste was odd lol and the smell to
but no bugs were able to grow inside
even the color didnt change
you probably took an infected batch that was throw for that reason

edit on 6/20/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I worked in a local grocer for 4 years, and when it comes to the local change, one of their main goals is to use all products as efficiently as possible. Very rarely did we throw anything out at all unless it actually spoiled.

If things were closed to expiring or being "unfresh" then the employees were allowed to partake in those things for lunch. Other times the provider of such items returned the item to the company they came from as we the agenda.

As for meats and what not, the store had a hot cart. The day before meats and stuff would go out, the deli would cook up all the nearly expired products and sell them as hot food to the customers and 9 times out of 10, all the product would sell and there would be very little waste.

I can't say the same about what I have seen in large chains. After working in that store and moving and working at a chain store for 6 months, the waste there was ridiculous, with dumpsters upon dumpsters of food being thrown out. It was probably one of the reasons I left the grocery business in the first place.

When it comes to fast food, I will NEVER work in fast food and I cite the waste as one of my biggest reasons why. Even when I eat at fast food places I am disgusted to see anything wasted, and my friends who have worked their have told the stories of all the things they NEED to throw out and how employees are not allowed to eat them or anything - they MUST be throw away. Absolutely ridiculous.

I had ordered a burger at McDonalds last week even, and I usually get ketchup and cheese only. Well this time they forgot the cheese so I politely informed them. Instead of just putting a slice of cheese on, which would have made me perfectly happy - they threw my burger in the garbage right in front of me and proceeded to make a new one that took 5 minutes. I was dumbfounded at this and it enraged me to the point that I was speechless.

The waste in this world is absolutely astounding, and becoming observant to it has made me a type of person that my friends hate. To put it short, you don't want to be the type of person that opens a can of soda and leaves a half full can lying around - because I will chew you out for it. People need to take responsibility for themselves and their own consumption.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Misleading. It's against the law in most jurisdictions to sell left over food, or to give it away because of the risk of someone getting sick.
Even if, 99% of the time no one gets sick, laws have been written to protect those few cases that could possibly happen, maybe. If thegov't would get out of the way, businesses and charities/churches/schools/homeless shelters could use these not-so-fresh, but not rotten food.
The business owners aren't trying to be wasteful or greedy, that is precisely the gov't position, though.

More laws??? No Way

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I know - its shocking - the amount of food that is wasted through end dates and use by dates is horrendous. Plus on top of shop wastage you have what the average family wastes. Quite an eye opener. What doesn't help is that the shops are wide open to libel charges if anyone falls sick from eating food after a sell by date - which is why they lock down dumpsters. I shudder at the amount of perfectly good food that's chucked into a dumpster and locked so no one can get at it. We are reaping the rewards of a libel orientated world and if we don't realign our values we are going to libel ourselves into a deep hole and go the way of the dinosaurs.

If I remember my history lessons correctly food wastage during WW2 in Britain was almost outlawed. 'Waste not want not' and 'dig for Britain' were the messages of the day - messages that certainly wouldn't go astray now.

I do believe that people that waste food have no connection with where the food has come from. If you have spent time growing your food you are less likely to waste it. The same goes for meat. I'm not saying that everyone has to grow their own or raise their own meat - but if you see it as sterile little packages sitting in the supermarket fridge, it kinda divorces you from the reality of where it actually comes from, which then makes it easier to pop into the bin.

At the moment no one in the first world has to rely on their own endeavours to supply their food, other than by choice - that could change shortly.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
i too agree, when there are millions starving in the world and i am watching some chef on a show throw a mildly over cooked salmon or steak in the trash, does draw some concern and shame on our culture. I question all the food that is thrown out daily by restaurants and supermarkets and by consumers. Is there not a better way to share this food somehow rather than polluting the dumps with tons of normal food daily?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSGrunt

We can use it to feed more people, but that means there's going to have to be at least one new law passed so that companies can't be sued when people get sick. People will sue over every stupid little thing, and if they see a way to get millions they'll take full advantage of it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join