It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There should be a new Law against Throwing Food in the Trash Bin .. (Very Shocking Pictures)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
So many ways to waste...like trashing food because the packaging is comprimised. They will toss it as soon as it's been made and boxed. Just because the cardboard is dented, or not sealed properly. Gone before it even got close to store shelves, or remotely close to the expiration date.

BTW, plaese be careful dumpster diving. I know of a Nabisco warehouse that was poisoning the food in the dumpster.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleEskimo

And how comes it is illegal to give away good edible food that has been thrown in the rubbish? That is just...bizarre.

Because if someone gets sick the business will be sued. It is simple as that, greedy people all around.
God forbid someone dies from it, that is why it is illegal.
Even though we know 90% of the stuff is really still good.
edit on 21-6-2012 by mrballistic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrballistic

It is a legitimate concern but people can no be upset it is this greedy society's fault

We do live in a very greedy society and a wasteful one at that. I guess what bothers me is that there are things we can do to help, but those of us with the means to do so, so often wont or just can't be bothered.

Maybe they don't care or maybe they don't realize how big of a problem it is, I don't know. But something needs to be done.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mrballistic

Don't they keep their bins clean? Here where I live in England they empty and clean the dumpsters as regularly as possible to stop rats and foxes as it is a rural area. And all of the food thrown away is usually sealed up in its packaging still. If the food was still edible before the shop closed what makes it more dangerous after closing time?
edit on 21-6-2012 by LittleEskimo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I volunteer for a homeless shelter (Catholic Charities) every Thursday working in the kitchen. Last Thanksgiving, they threw out a 150 turkeys into the garbage. I was absolutely shocked! When I asked why they did so, they said it was because of policy. If they gave them away and someone got sick or died from the turkeys, there could be a law suit against the shelter. They couldn’t even give them away to other homeless shelters. It was so sad.
edit on 21-6-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Morg234
Another strange ATS thread.

Something that was highlighted in another thread.

Peculiar demands for laws, or to ban things, this time a law against throwing food in the bin?

What do you expect from a bunch of do-gooder serviles? Rather than fix the problem they would have government micro-manage us all even more.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Don't they keep their bins clean? Here where I live in England they empty and clean the dumpsters as regularly as possible to stop rats and foxes as it is a rural area. And all of the food thrown away is usually sealed up in its packaging still. If the food was still edible before the shop closed what makes it more dangerous after closing time?

It doesn't make it anymore dangerous. Here in the states we have a part of society that is
*sue happy* we call it.

The *sue happy* idiots go around just looking for a car accident, a wet spot at the local grocery store,
they have even had their kid's take a fall at someones house of wealthy couples
for the prospect of money making scheme to sue the parents...

This frivalous sickness I call it, screws up things like the restaraunts giving out the food
to poor people from over regulated segments of society..

Some places keep their dumpsters VERY clean, others not so much.

They will wash their personal bins everynight, and the trash pick up is very cheap
for the businesses with an actual dumpster. As low as 50-100 bucks a month..

I know many restaraunt owners, we have discussed this topic many times and most of them
really do care and would like to help but it is not worth the risk involved that they incure when
trying to feed people with leftovers..

Most just have a charity they give too and in their hearts they are doing their part.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
I volunteer for a homeless shelter (Catholic Charities) every Thursday working in the kitchen. Last Thanksgiving, they threw out a 150 turkeys into the garbage. I was absolutely shocked! When I asked why they did so, they said it was because of policy. If they gave them away and someone got sick or died from the turkeys, there could be a law suit against the shelter. They couldn’t even give them away to other homeless shelters. It was so sad.

There is the exact problem the business owners have.. They have tried to help
in the past and litterally the very hand that they used to help these people were BIT

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Unfortunately the govt. requires restaurants, bakeries and stores to throw out "outdated" food in the trash. It cannot even be given away. In my hippy days we waited outside these places until they brought out the trash and rescued hundreds of pounds of bread, meat, veggies, etc. that were "expired" by only a few minutes or hours, and then fed hundreds of people with it. But the stores had to throw it out. If they tried to give it away they could be charged huge fines. Food, unfortunately is easily tainted by people's hands and breath, etc. and has a very short shelf-life. It does show however the absolute ABUNDANCE our nation and Canada has in regards to food. Literally we could feed ourselves and everyone for free, very well, so much goes to waste. You should see what they throw out in Las Vegas! Unbelievable, steak, lobster, filet mingon, shrimp, by the TON! Yet they cannot give it to the homeless or shelters or even animals legally! So yes, the laws should be changed, if only to say the stores etc. would not be held responsible for food they give away making anyone ill. Sort of "Eat and your own risk" law. Could save more lives than it sickens, indeed. But when people get wind of the practice, well they will demand lower prices for the bread and food...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion

Yea, we have that same problem. Like I said though try to contact a local farm to see if they will take the food no longer deemed fit for human consumption.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I remember this episode of Dirty Jobs very well. The farmer used scraps from Vegas to feed his pigs. Very good way to stop all the wasted food.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

That is just sad. I know some charities have an arrangement with our local market here in Colorado which allows them to pick up almost expired food before it goes to the bin. Once it heads to the bin they can't touch it for those same reasons.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sad to see so much go to waste. A little time and effort could be used to take that food to people that really could use it. Should be hefty fines for this kind of behavior in restaurants.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Yea, The greedy managers do it to get credit on the unsold merchandise.Some managers are awesome and forgo there bonus to donate all they can.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

I have seen much more than this for example a company once buried all of their equpiment in a big pit to dispose of it after the job was completed.

Yes. That was ET for the Atari. Buried all their unsold copies in a landfill. Hilarious example of waste.

Anyhow, as to the rest of what you said. I see it differently. How can a person claim ownership when they discard their property into the trash? To me, they are relinquishing their ownership with the act. I guess I think its absurd when people claim ownership over garbage they are not going to use anyway.

I get all the laws, rules, regulations, ETC. I simply stand amazed at the amount of resources wasted.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
this must just be something that is a problem in the US.. because my local chain of bakery which is most popular where I live, and believe me theyre in every minor and major shopping centre, have a policy that they just give away the bread, cakes, danish and anything they have left to homeless/poor people that come and pick it up as the shop is closing and packing up. I have had several friends who work there, and they all say they have the same procedures, and I have witnessed the homeless people coming to get the bread many times it's quite nice to see them getting heaps of food for free!

as if they go to the effort of throwing gross crap on top so noone can actually go through the bins to take the food. You'd think if someone were desperate enough to dig thru a dumpster for food, then they f#n need it. Anyone that dumps crap on top purely to ruin it for them would just be the worst kind of person.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrballistic

It doesn't make it anymore dangerous. Here in the states we have a part of society that is
*sue happy* we call it.

The *sue happy* idiots go around just looking for a car accident, a wet spot at the local grocery store,
they have even had their kid's take a fall at someones house of wealthy couples
for the prospect of money making scheme to sue the parents...

This frivalous sickness I call it, screws up things like the restaraunts giving out the food
to poor people from over regulated segments of society..

Some places keep their dumpsters VERY clean, others not so much.

They will wash their personal bins everynight, and the trash pick up is very cheap
for the businesses with an actual dumpster. As low as 50-100 bucks a month..

I know many restaraunt owners, we have discussed this topic many times and most of them
really do care and would like to help but it is not worth the risk involved that they incure when
trying to feed people with leftovers..

Most just have a charity they give too and in their hearts they are doing their part.

Oh God I forgot about those kind of people...You seem to hear a lot of sue cases in USA.
Why have they got to ruin it for everyone else

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Well I could see it happen to prevent lawsuits. Maybe 95% of the time the food is fine, the other there really is gross food, someone doesn't noticed and eats it, gets sick, and sues the place.

As far as the wasted food, flour and sugar is really cheap when they buy in bulk, I'm sure the labor costs a lot more than the materials which are probably on the order of cents.

reply to post by daynight42

Probably because of bacteria/food poisoning concerns.

edit on 6/21/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by 0010110011101

Unless you have discovered the secret to immortality i do believe you'll be safe. Hence the hundred years into the future.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Once again, from someone that works in that industry, we are not wasting food.....you are. If you order only what you can eat than we will not throw away your waste ( unless the dish guy eats it but that's also gross).

Chefs order only what they need, that's why items get 86'd. Food cost normally has an affect on their bonus/salary.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join