It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people naturally inclined toward negativity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Why are people naturally inclined toward the negative?

Have you noticed that it's too easy to become fixated on the negative or become addicted to it and feed off it? Yet one has to work hard to stay positive? Why is that?

Why is human nature and our minds naturally fixated on sliding down into negativity? Why not the other way? Is there a reason for that?

Consider this: If you do 9 good things and 1 bad thing, people will remember the bad thing and forget the good things you did. That's human nature. Also, if someone spreads a negative lie about you, people will be quick to believe it, even without any evidence, as though they were eager to believe the worst about you. Why is that?

And of course, the news media feeds off our negativity. They constantly bombard us with the most negative stories that make us see the world in the most negative way - full of stress, conflict and tragedy - never showing us all the good decent people around us. The media always wants to portray everything in the worst possible light it seems.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Humans naturally swing that way (most people do anyways) because of just that.
We're being bombarded by negativity all day long, every single day.
We attend jobs that send our stress levels through the roof (most people), that breeds negativity
The way that we are judged by our looks and status brings it on as well.
Plus a million other things.

Or, it could be something crazy like the massive amounts of electro magnetic interference from the milliosn of miles of electrical cable strung in the air, or perhaps the wireless signals of a few thousand satellites and wireless communications. My reasoning for this is the frequency in which our brainwaves operate which is close to 7.6 Hz(something like that), anything above or close to the frequency has a possibility of warping with our minds. Consider some haunting stories for example, the 'feeling watched' and 'paranoia' when doing the laundry in the basement, but there is an unprotected switch that is firing off an enormous EM field, which causes adverse effects in humans.

Now imagine that this is happening on a constant basis all around us at all times of the day, not as powerful but constant.. It would mess with the mind after a few years.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Hell its sexual harrassment to tell a girl at work shes pretty.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

It is adaptive. Face it, life used to suck a lot worse than it does today and it still sucks intermittently. Let’s say you are living 1000 years ago in Northern Europe and you expect good things to happen. So what. But if you expect bad things to happen, because they were happening all of the time, then you will prepare for them. It is survival advantageous. But then again I guess you can hope for the best and prepare for the worst, but even then you have to have a pretty negative outlook to foresee the worst. It is call being realistic.

But as for me, I love doom.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I'm naturally inclined to positivity. I am not a human then.

Seriously, saying that humans are naturally inclined to negativity doesn't hold any water. I know people who are positive thinker (that includes me) and hence they are naturally inclined to positivity. I also have some friends who are pessimist by nature. Not surprisingly, they are naturally inclined to negativity. Humans are diverse when it comes to personality. You can't brush all the humans in a single stroke.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Quite frankly, I think it's got a lot to do with our primitive instinct to kill. We are a naturally destructive species. Look what we're doing to the planet.

It's programmed into us.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
There is a scene in the film The Matrix where Agents have Morpheus tied up and have given him a serum to make him talk. While waiting for it to kick in, one of the agents says this to him:

"Have you ever stood and stared at it, marveled at its beauty, its genius? Billions of people just living out their lives, oblivious. Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world, where none suffered, where everyone would be happy? It was a disaster. No one would accept the program, entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world, but I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through misery and suffering. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this, the peak of your civilization. I say your civilization, because as soon as we started thinking for you it really became our civilization, which is of course what this is all about. Evolution, Morpheus, evolution. Like the dinosaur. Look out that window. You've had your time. The future is our world, Morpheus. The future is our time." — Agent Smith.

(Courtesy of Wikiquote)

I think this represents an interesting perspective on human nature. Many humans are innately drawn towards drama and negativity, and are not content when there is none to be found.

edit on 20/6/2012 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

bc mister, positivity or positive is not smthg u can invent, it is not a nature either

positive is an exception due to truth, full fact alone become constant in positive superiority terms
tht is why also even if u r true so admitting facts before u and witenessing kind of positive sense of thinking and being out of, still u cant b that positive as truth
that is why there is freedom individual freedom too, as the way to get back and rest out of all while respecting all

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I think if you go just a little deeper the natural inclination is "selfishness" which leads to an attraction to the negative. When you perceive something in a negative light you are exercising selfishness because you truly feel you are good enough (better) to judge.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

We're programmed that way to keep us afraid. Fear breeds more fear which keeps us controlled. Its all we know.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The system is designed to make us that way, and keep us that way, from birth to death.

We're programmed that way to keep us afraid. Fear breeds more fear which keeps us controlled.

Fear and "negativity" are powerful tools for enslavement, and to perpetuate ignorance and control of the masses. If average Joe/Jane knew that as a group, we could take back our world any time, and always could, it would be devastating to the little parasites who have fed on us for centuries.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Turkenstein
reply to post by WWu777

I think if you go just a little deeper the natural inclination is "selfishness" which leads to an attraction to the negative. When you perceive something in a negative light you are exercising selfishness because you truly feel you are good enough (better) to judge.

this is very true, conscious are individual freedom that is proving being rarely true

that is why conscious rarely move realistically while prefer taking advantage from positive truth to stand still
where then thy become only them alone as individuals negative to all but very positive constant results, becoming strong and powerful

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

the strength of truth compared to the strength of ones all to thmselves, is the lack of negative in truth and what positive is free superiority so always having a quality sense in absolute terms confirmed

so when conscious could be not related to truth at all for conscious that are not relative true freedom but just individual freedom, then conscious could not care about quality at all which explain surely the conflict we see in existence between truth and gods

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
also the major power of truth, is else, which is the inferiority of one

truth by definition being constancy results, then it is always fully objective only, so the relation to it is like with else as well as its fact is connections of all else possible in same fact

so for any problem. logically a lot of else would resolve it abstractly objectively, knowing from where they are same to move positively

the concept of same is replaced by the fact of one, which is total inferiority and for evil oness life

same is not one, while it says it all objectively

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think people have a tendency to being more negative about the short term but I believe that we seek what we think is positive in respect to in the moment or in future action. I say this because so many out there seek self gratifying destructive behaviors that they think benefits them but really doesn't. An example. A young man decides he wants a certain cell phone. He doesn't have the money to buy it so he steals it. By stealing it he gets what he wants which he see as a positive. Most people don't think about the long term affects of their actions. Instant gratification plays a huge role in this as well. Disposable relationships, disposable products, disposable society. This way of thinking in the short term really can be damaging.
Sending out positivity!

edit on 20-6-2012 by TRGreer because: Typo

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Instead of saying that people are drawn to negativity, I think a better description would be that it is not in humans to stay on one emotion for long periods of time. We get bored. We find something SOOO interesting, and then a few months or years later, that interesting thing becomes mind-numbingly mundane tedious. We are addicted to the 'New' and quickly tire of the 'Old'.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

yea that too is a trait of individual conscious that has nothing to do with true freedom at all

true freedom is knowing its own present relation with all objective truth including of before in abstract terms that become relative free sense

while conscious is knowing its lack of relation with all objective fact so more of what is not present to it since of before conscious, that is why surely cosncious naturally deal with objective positive only in terms of profits from and lean to reject it ferocely if there is nothing to get from

here we can see the value of relative, despite the fact that relative cant exist
the value of relative is being related to else so truth

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

Great thread, thanks for sharing
flagged!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by WWu777

I believe it has all to do with our survival instincts and the way the brain assimilates and evaluates events in order to learn. Positive events are great but the negative ones are the ones that could potentially be dangerous to our being and as such hold much stronger value in being stored and remembered than the positive ones.

We store those because we need to be prepared for 'the next time' it might happen so that we can get away from it bwfore it happens. Eventually this reflex goes into to absurd over mode which results in unrealistic fears and negativity. We are constantly expecting bad things in order to protect ourselves from the potential bad things. However that is exactly what they are, Just potential/hypothetical happenings invented by our brains in order to control an uncontrollable reality.

Once we realise we have no control and start to live in the now acting as and when as supposed to living in the what if this what if that reality then we will probalby be much more positive beings. This is what many refer to as letting go of ego. It is simply allowing reality to show us what is as supposed to living in the expectation of what could be.

Negativity is a shield against hurt but on the flip side is what prevents us from living happy

Mine is a positive mind and more so since I let go of trying to know anything for certain

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It's nothing more than a habit. Habits are actions we do, thoughts we have and emotions we feel on a subconscious level.

Same thing like riding a bike or driving a car. Only difference is we remember the time before we were able to drive, but not before we became negative as a habit. It begins very early.

I had a thread about how 90% to 95% of our decisions, thoughts and actions are done subconsciously, but I can't seem to find it now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join