It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) Rip-off of 'Harry Potter'?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this and I really cant believe that people are so...well stupid.
Anyway I wanted to share this funny with you.

Overall, I like "Lord of the Rings." However, I do feel that Tolkien kind of rips off "Harry Potter" in many ways. There are several parallels, such as elves, dwarfs, wizards, goblins, trolls, magic (especially invisibility), etc. Sauron is referred to as “Dark Lord” just like Voldemort is. There is also the elder white-haired bearded wizard who serves almost as a mentor, Gandalf, who is reminiscent of Dumbledore. Some of the character names are similar, such as Wormtongue as opposed to Wormtail, too. There is even a gigantic spider (Shelob) at the end of "The Two Towers" that reminds one of Aragog from "Chamber of Secrets." I even noticed that the plots of both series begin with the protagonists’ birthday. Now I see that Tolkien, this unoriginal bastard, is coming out with "The Hobbit" in December. This would be fine, but why didn't he just write this book first to begin with? I still like "Lord of the Rings," though--don't get me wrong--but I wonder if Tolkien has ever said in interviews whether he borrowed elements from Harry Potter. I’ll be watching the extended DVDs later this week and I think he’s featured on the commentary track, so I look forward to that.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!

IMDB The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) Rip-off of 'Harry Potter'?

Enjoy and
love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
No, but the ...

I wonder if the author of that article reads any of his comments. Because I left him one.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Thats actually a good bit of troll bait that will probably catch a few people out

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Has to be trolling.

Has to...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Um the hobbit was published in 1936, if anything she ripped it off of him.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
The Hobbit books came out well before the Harry Potter books.

So the question you should be asking is what did the woman that wrote the Potter series steal from the Hobbit.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Really? Oh thanks for clearing that up, Sheldon. Glad we've got at least one genius around here.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
At first I thought they must have made the post as a joke, but im not sure.

Tolkien was like the 2nd major author I read after Enid Blyton. I would have been about 12 when my Poppa gave me his copy to read.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

So the question you should be asking is what did the woman that wrote the Potter series steal from the Hobbit.

Wow, I guess you didn't look at the link. The Hobbit movie hasn't been released yet so it probably just finished being written. The first Harry Potter movies came out ten years ago now (Around that?) so it's pretty obvious it's a rip off. And why would the Tolkien guy write the prequel after the first movies were released?

People really need to do their research.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

You should have seen my face when i read it.That was really funny,thanks for the laugh.

Can we give him the Trolling award of the month?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Am I in some sort of time warp or some weird realm

edit: lol i just relized you were joking

love and harmony
Whateva
edit on 20/6/12 by Whateva69 because: lol

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Oh, my..!!!!

It just goes to show how the movies are more dominant and 'in your face' than books are.. let alone studying about your topic before putting pen to paper, er, I mean fingers to keyboard..

Can you imagine though.. you can actually read a book BEFORE the movie comes out.. never in my wildest dreams..

That'll be a first.. print a book, then make a movie about the book.. that's a cool idea I think..

If I remember correctly, it took Tolkien 14 years to write what he wrote on that stuff you write on..

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Surely this has to be some kind of joke....

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

"Tolkein the unoriginal bastard...." Fo' real???

That's right up there with the idiots that thought the Titanic was just a movie, then freaked out when they realised it was true....

IDIOTS!!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Hobbit book came well before author of Harry Potter was born....

Of course person who posted that did it sarcastic way of showing real rip-off. IMHO, Harry Potter series is just kids version of Lord of the Rings. At least first couple of books.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by rrftp

lol i liked this comment /reply best so far.

by twhitmore-nz 14 minutes ago (Wed Jun 20 2012 04:40:53)
Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Brian -- pour glitter over yourself & stand naked in a gay bar.

Maybe you'll meet Harry Potter there.

poor Brian, he has 100 reply's to this so far lol ive never seen so many before

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Is it me or everything got deleted by admin @ imdb?!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
when i went to look at the source all i saw was a reference to the article and a long list of deleted replies. This HAS to be some kind of joke. Surely this level of idiocy is not this wide spread.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SuperFrog

Yup it's gone.. deleted by mods..

I reckon we're taking up too much of their server space/time/connectivity due to the vast swathes of people going to go have a look at the post..

At least we've got a copy here ...and possibly many other places on the net..

One for the history books..
ooh, another book.. maybe they'll make a film about that book too one day

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rcanem

ROFL, yes it is! There will be more of the same when and if the Movie of Dragonflight comes out! It is insane but then so is our society.

P

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by buster2010

Wow, I guess you didn't look at the link. The Hobbit movie hasn't been released yet so it probably just finished being written. The first Harry Potter movies came out ten years ago now (Around that?) so it's pretty obvious it's a rip off. And why would the Tolkien guy write the prequel after the first movies were released?

People really need to do their research.

You really need to research things before telling anyone else that. Had you read the link the person that wrote it is talking about all of the movies. It's funny to think that a movie that is based on a book that was written in 1937 is somehow ripping off a modern day author.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join