It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waiting for the singularity - The importance of 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
For a couple of months now, maybe even a year or more, I've been struggling with some complicated feelings; a mixture between anxiety and grieving if you will. Is not that I'm depressed, I can function perfectly and I'm usually a happy chap that has plenty of time to enjoy life with friends. However, every time I stand still I can't stop thinking about this world and our society.

It seems clear to me that we are on the verge of something important. Not a catastrophic event or a doom's day scenario but rather a change in which our brain processes information. An internal change that could trigger our next evolutionary step at a pace never seen before in human history.

When I think about how far technology has come ever since I was born (1987) to this day I picture it as a spiral, meaning greater advances coming at us in shorter amounts of time. Even though some might say it's wishful thinking, I think that I will witness during my lifetime how technology will change every aspect of what we are as humans. It has to; you may say it's really our only hope to trascend to something else than being monkeys with relationship issues.

The influence technology has on us has already begun some years ago, and I'm not talking about medical advances but rather how you can easily differenciate someone that uses the internet heavily to someone who has never been online. I'm not trying to diminish anyone but I think it's rather clear that someone who has learned to use the internet (note I'm saying "learned to use", not just randomly browse meme sites) appears to have better tools to process information much quicker while also not absorbing anything that has no use. Older generations, or even younger ones who never had internet access doesn't appear, at least to me, as able to quickly process information.

So in that regard the web has certainly fulfilled its own prophesy: to be the highway of information. Yes, it's true, much of what's online is not reliable nor useful, but mastering what you let in and what you leave ut is the greatest gift it has giving us so far.

To take a bus or a cab - a huge, clumsy and mortal metallic apparatus - to transport yourself from point A to B is stupid and the greatest insult our race can face. Our language, the fact that we must construct long sentences in order to pack information and transmit it to someone else is the least effective way of articulation it exists. The fact that we have to read texts and decypher its message to gain knowledge is ineffective as well. Politics, religion and so on doesn't fool anyone anymore. The jobs we are applying for only benefit companies and they don't give anything useful to the world. It's like our brains are ready to move on and yet we keep being surrounded by characteristics of a former, more archaic world in which everything is insufficient and it's not fine-tuned to what we need.

At this point it must be clear as day to everyone that our money, consumerism-driven society has to come to an end. We are ready to move on because we have realised there will never be enough resources to satisfy a need which ultimately doesn't fulfill anyone. The amount of crap we produce every single day and it gets thrown away because society has failed to sell it to someone is beyond belief. We have also realised money doesn't have value anymore except for leaving more and more people out of the technological loop.

Technology will keep advancing, yes, even faster and faster, and it won't be long until we are able to incorporate it into our mortal bodies, not to become robots but rather to help us make that last jump between animals to something else. But yet economy is killing more people by the minute, and therefore something bad could happen unless we all grow up and leave this infantile state we had been in for so long.

This is the importance of 2012, the ultimate expression of wanting to change we are able to come up with at the moment. We want to change our future, our present and our past. To leave all the cr*p we had been through as a race, to change the way we are living our everyday life and to arrive at a place that has peace, real peace, and kindness and inclusion.

Nothing will happen in december. First because technology has yet to make a few last steps before it all comes together, and also because society has to make a few steps too. It will have to change, and unfortunately the only way it will change is by collapsing completely. If you'd been paying attention you know we are on our way to the ultimate collapse. We had been given plenty of opportunities and yet time after time we have chosen to let our society been ruled by a system that has stopped being relevant years ago. Until this occurs, we are stuck riding buses, selling stupid products to people that don't need it and spending years studying information that could be transformed into just a couple of megabytes. The change won't happen in december, it's too soon, but it will happen soon enough. Or at least I hope so.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Radiobuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
But technology is just more c*ap to come out of a consumer society. The real leap will happen with the technology inherently built into us. Some are already making that leap. This is my belief of what 2012 will be. I like your idea though. It was articulated really well.

When you realize that you are already complete is when the change will happen. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Radiobuzz

Me too, i'm tired of feeling that all there is in life is to work, eat and gorge on stuff. There has to be a more deeper meaning of why we have these unique one of a kind existences that some feel that can take the life of without any remorse or self regret. if we are all of god, then we are they killing a part of us and why is it blatantly allowed in all areas of the spectrum? Looks like this civilization has a long way to go still. Let's hope its's not already too late! Their actions will be the test to find out.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Humanism, which you sucked down in vast quanitities, really does rule your life. Humanism is the beast, and it's mark is stamped all over your post. Man will solve this - man will solve that - man, through technology, will overcome - man can BUILD the better future - man man man man.

That Internet, that some thankfully shun, is indoctrination and propaganda. That next "evolutionary step" is through God, subject to His Commands - NOT MAN.

Man was created on the 6th day.

John 6:66 "From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him."

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

This is very true. I think that if there IS a major shift, part of it will involve people refusing to be blinded by the veil that technology has cast over peoples eyes. A perfect example of this being how people constantly have their faces buried in their cell phones, texting away, oblivious to the world around them.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy88

Well, I was not referring to gadgets but as you said the merging of machines with men, which will inevitably happen at some point in the future. This does have the potential to change everything, but again, to believe it will happen in December is beyond being optimistic I think.

reply to post by WhoKnows100

Internet permits access to full, unlimited knowledge and inifinite conectedness. This is why you and many religious people are against it. Throughout history Christianity has been trying to ban information, as the church has understood long ago that an informed person could never willingly follow their dogma to the letter. So I don't agree with your view.

reply to post by Xaphan

As with anything, technology can be used in meaningful ways and also in useless ways. I think we could categorize the use by measuring if you are using it to either gain knowledge or making something that pleases you, or if you use it with no apparent reason. I was referring more to the potential of technology. Just imagine what will be able to do with quantum computers, keeping in mind how advanced we are with just our regular PCs. Then extrapolate that thought with the inclusion of that sort of processor speed into your body. Our current languanges would become inefficient, and pretty much everything that surrounds us nowadays will too.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

I think that we are still decades away from transhumanism, which is what you are describing. Not the singularity. There is a difference, although it is possible that each will be intrinsically dependent upon the other, it is not necessarily so. Kurzweil and The Singularity University have done much to muddy the waters in understanding this, and it irritates me.

While I am hopeful that transhumanism will be achieved, I am not so hopeful that it will be achieved in a way that is ethical. Humans are socially hierarchical. I think it is far too likely that many people, possibly even the majority will be left behind and victimized by those that can achieve transhumanism. It is likely to go badly I'm afraid.

edit on 20-6-2012 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Indeed! Thanks for your thoughtful response. I do too believe it has the power to go horribly wrong, that's why I was saying society has to change too, it's not a matter to just sit around and wait until technology has reached it's peak. I wrote this very late yesterday, I was sleepy and I couldn't exactly form every thought I was having, but that's why I went down the "society is collapsing" route.

I think the popularity of 2012 is the biggest sign there is to see how many people are tired of this way of living and are just waiting for something to happen. The overly popular image of a meteorite collapsing into earth is fear-inducing, but it's also a very important image: to be able to start from scratch. I also believe people in general, regardless of religious and political talk, are inherently good (I know this is very optimistic and the biggest leap of faith a person can do), or at least there are tons of people that just want things to go right. So my view is a little more hopeful than yours, otherwise I don't think I would be able to cope.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I could have written EVERYTHING you just said in your OP.
I agree wholeheartedly with EVERYTHING in it.
You are spot on.

Things MUST change.
It is NOT a choice.
It WILL happen and it will happen sooner rather than later.

There is only so much natural resources and the population is growing steadily.
We can only keep buring our trash in the ground for so long.
We can only pollute so much of the water till it is ALL polluted.
We can only continue ass raping our planet so long until she fights back.

Technology keeps doubling but ONLY in certain areas and NEVER in others.
At this rate we will have compuers more powerful than the most powerful computer in the world and it will fit inside a chip implanted in our skin.

We will have drones that are able to stay in the air indefinately that are capeable of getting anywhere in the world in under a minute.

We will have guns that can kill people more efficiantly, making no sound whatsoever.
We will have solar powered Tanks rolled out to every battlefield.
We will have Robot Soldiers capeable of critical thinking and decision making.
We could have Robotic police able to pull you over and write you a ticket on the spot.
We will have cameras mountedd outside of EVERY house in the world.
We will have satellites that are able to KILL anyone anywhere in the world with a laser.
We will have insect drone capeable of flying inside your house and spying on you AND KILLING you with a bite if you are deemed a domestic extremist.

OUr technology is ALWAYS used for KILLING PEOPLE!!!!

We will have ALL of this and yet???

We will stil be driving around in a car powered by a GOD DAMNED internal cobustion engine which runs off of fossil fuels!!!!!

We will NEVER cure cancer!!!
We will NEVER regrow limbs!!!

I say NO!!
It cannot be this way.
We have the tech to do anything and everything now.
We are living in the future!!!
The final step is to overthrow the established norm and that norm lies deep inside each and every one of us.
We MUST and WILL change our consciousness or we will cease to exist because the technology will KILL US!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Your welcome, and thank you for posting on this topic.

I agree that the interest (obsession?) in 2012 is indicative of a cultural shift. I hope that it will be a positive one. There is a great deal of fear and pessimism, and I am certainly not immune. I'm also a hopeless cynic when it comes to certain aspects of human behavior, and I see people far too often use technology in a way to only benefit a very, select few. I prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

I also see as we approach this threshold a sort of ecstatic anticipation of it with many of these great minds that are actively working on this sort of technology. What the rapture is for fundamentalist Christians, The Singularity and the possibilities within that for transhumanism is for them. It's kind of strange, and tunnel-visioned. They refuse to even acknowledge that the human element, the instinct for dominance may make this go very badly for many people. We cannot avoid a pitfall if we do not even acknowledge that it is possible. Which is not to say that you subscribe to this, but I see too many that do, and that frightens me as well.

Even worse, I've seen a sort of misanthropy manifest within some of these people as well. It is a sort of Let The Machines Take Over Because The Human Race Is Not Worthy mentality. That is really scary. They are the minority however, which is reassuring. I suppose you find bad apples in any bunch.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
For a change to a cure something first must happen.

As it is with all life and events on this world, or nothing would ever change at all.

For us to change there needs to be a reason for us to change and so the reasons are many right now just look around you and you can see them all, this is a good thing and to be aware of it is even better.

Just let the changes happen and just go with the flow, all is taken care of, no need to worry for all is heading in the right direction, for right now nothing is what is seams to be but only what you think it is, life is vary funny that way.

No need to believe me one bit, just trust in your heart for it knows more that what your brain can tell you, that there is a sea of change coming and you might be surprised by what will show up.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse
They are the minority however, which is reassuring. I suppose you find bad apples in any bunch.

It is reassuring that they are the minority. The people who blind us and deceive us barely make up 1% of the worlds population. Now just imagine if there was a big shift in which everybody woke up to what was really going on, and even the police and military refused to protect them anymore. Every single greedy powerful deceptive person on this planet would be gone within a day. For every one of them, there are millions of us.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 28 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Singularity is just the return to source or all that is, we have been living in the opposite of that called Duality or the separation from source or all that is. The many have been divided and conquered by the few, controlled and manipulated to the point where everything is believed to be physically separated from everyone and everything else, but this is not true, this is an illusion created by the mind. Ofcourse we would perceive ourselves as being separate cells from one another yes it would seem that way because the part cannot perceive the whole, although we would be seen as one organism from a distance. A cell experiences itself as separate from the rest of the organism because a cell is so tiny that we have to use a microscope just to view it as being separate from the rest of the cells that make up the organism. This is the same principle for all living things. Singularity is where we are headed

edit on 28-6-2012 by xAlbinoniblAx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join