It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groupthink And The Elevator Experiment- Perfect example! VIDEO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
DisInfo.com

Here is a really cool video with a perfect example groupthink and conformity:

Want to see how people will change to fit in? In 1962, groundbreaking social psychologist Solomon Asch teamed up with the television show Candid Camera to demonstrate how quickly a basic social norm (how people stand in an elevator) could be reversed using group conformity. Just imagine all the behaviors and beliefs you could get tricked into following, via the power of social pressure. (The elevator experiment was still effective when replicated in the present day on the University of South Florida campus.)

The video from the article is a clip from an old 'Candid Camera' episode but the video from USF included some of that and a recreation of the experiment in color, so thats what I'm going to post, to see that it is still a relevant experiment.

The psychologist who teamed up with the TV show, Solomon Asch, did many studies on conformity within society including one where the participant would enter a room with seven other people who are 'in' on the experiment. Then,

The experimenter arrives and tells you that the study in which you are about to participate concerns people's visual judgments. She places two cards before you. The card on the left contains one vertical line. The card on the right displays three lines of varying length.

The experimenter asks all of you, one at a time, to choose which of the three lines on the right card matches the length of the line on the left card. The task is repeated several times with different cards.

On some occasions the other "participants" unanimously choose the wrong line. It is clear to you that they are wrong, but they have all given the same answer.

What would you do? Would you go along with the majority opinion, or would you "stick to your guns" and trust your own eyes?

If you where involved in this experiment how do you think you would behave? Would you conform to the majority’s viewpoint?

Source
So, would you turn around and face the other way, because everyone else was doing it?
"Would you jump off a bridge because everyone else was doing it" - remember what your mom used to say!? haha

Seriously though, this is the kind of mentality that is going on today. People cannot be open minded, because TPTB have turned their MSM into a group of people the turn the wrong way in the elevator, and the average person turns around with them, away from the truth!! Its right there, if they could just turn around!!

Thoughts?!
edit on 6/20/2012 by Nspekta because: added source

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Thats a very complex way of putting it..... But... I think what is really going on is their lives are being threatened, just like what happened to Michael Jackson. The Illuminati controlled him, they will control the MSM in the same manner.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Classic! Great video. I think it goes way beyond TPTB and into our basic human nature. Most people will and want to go with the herd. Since the dawn of man it's been that way. Very few people will go against the grain and fewer still actually want to.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
survival instincts that arent very relevant anymore
even if its the not the best move do what the group does because you wont survive long on your own
what happens if you break a limb or run into a group of unfriendlies?

were changing our world faster than we can adapt to it
i would bet my left....uh...kidney... that a couple hundred years ago you would have even higher rates of people conforming to behavior they know to be detrimental to the situation
these things take time

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
no no no, they just don't want to stare at the guy who turns around to face them, everyone is being odd, so they don't want to be uncomfortable.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I don't think I would turn around, except to talk to one of the cuties.

And what about those elevators with two doors? Ya never know which is going to open the first time around.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
funny stuff

group think is a subject that has interested me and i have known about this experiment for a long time....try this,

be the only person facing the back....feel how awkward it is, i do this every time i get in the elevator with my wife and it embarrassing the hell out of her

It used to be uncomfortable for me...but now i am the master

Also try looking up....you can get a whole crowd to look up.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
A little off topic but I cant for the life of me remember the musical piece used.... Anyone remember?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
no no no, they just don't want to stare at the guy who turns around to face them, everyone is being odd, so they don't want to be uncomfortable.

Agreeing with you SoymilkAlaska you can clearly see in the faces of most of the people that turn around that they think the other 4 are odd. They look around to try figure out why everyone is turned the 'wrong' way. However it does prove a point about our minds which is when faced with a new uncertain situation we follow those who seem most sure of them selves. Had the four people stood the wrong way and looked insecure, rather than squared and sure of themselves, I don't think everyone would follow suit so much. It would have been interesting to see that experiment also.

I know that when I am on the train for example, where you can exit on either side, and i am going to a new station, I generally assume majority turns toward the door that is about to open. But when I know which door is about to open I do not care which way others are turned because i know where I am going. In the elevator i would have probably faced the door regardless but perhaps looking down as facing people is a little daunting, especially to a shy person.

I do agree however that people are easily manipulated as a general rule because society teach us to be conformists as supposed to individuals. The little individualism that is encouraged have very firm boundaries around them, be an individual as long as you follow the agreed upon rules for what an individual can do. If you do not follow these rules you will no longer be praised as an individual but rather seen as an outcast of society and should be locked up or at least broken mentally so that you re too afraid to express your individualism in public.

Just look at this and all other social gatherings. Sooner or later people are forced to conform to the majority or be cast out.

top topics

join