It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I don't know if this is right.I shouldn't be necessary although giving the future circumstances upon them,self preserved seem to be the instinct...Any way,teaching young kids how to handle knives and guns after the age of ten wouldn't be so prudent would it?...Were still living the lie,but when the fan brakes down,Its little house on the praying time....get my drift.....just curious if people train their kids for emergencies....thoughts and anecdotes please tsunami me

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by SarnholeOntarable

I think starting kids out at a young age with using knives and firearms safely and responsibly is a great practice. Better for them to learn that way than for them to fly by the seat of their pants.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

nothing wrong with a ten year old shooting. They can handle the responsibility if they are trained correctly. My dad started shooting before that age, I first shot when i was 11 or 12.

If you really want to get children into that kind of thing just take them camping and hiking, give them a garden to grow. Kids love that kind of stuff. That would work alot better. Survival is only partly about shooting.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretWeapon

So teaching the 11 year old boy how to go through a forest with a machete is not to shabby eh...

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

They can handle the responsibility if they are trained correctly.
reply to post by Nephlim

...I'll praise that phrase...Its the truth for many aspects of society.

edit on 20-6-2012 by SarnholeOntarable because: extra s before spects and a period after y

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

My grandfather was a WWII vet and he had me throwing knives at particle board in the back yard when I was about 5, this was 25 years ago. I was shooting around 10.

I say train em early and they'll be more responsible with it.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Kids are more coordinated than Adults most of the time, especially when the Adult is getting up in age. So, starting early is a good choice and taking them camping/hiking up in the woods for a few days is good as well. Just make sure YOU know what your doing before you try cuz you dont want to get lost in dem woods.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Why would you need my permission?
If you feel it is prudent to do so, then please, do so.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I was taught to shoot when I was in the 4th grade. Really, it was as much for safety and respect of firearms, than any kind of SHTF planning. We lived in Alaska, so it was just what we did.

I think the age of 10 and up is a decent one for starting such training. I know I had a pocket knife at that age, and a shotgun (though I couldn't access it without my dad's key).

Naturally, in a post SHTF world, a child's education will be dramatically altered. In today's culture, unless the kid was in a rural environment, I would not advocate gun training so young. Something they can do on their own, when an adult (if living in the city).

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I just started teaching my 10 yr old daughter to shoot. Complete with my boy scout firearms training manual. She is excited about the learning, and it is really fun to watch her rip off 20 rounds into our zombie poster targets.
Safety is my reasoning for training her.
Just like swimming, everyone should know how to safely handle firearms. You never know when you will need these skills.
It must be terribly frieghtening to live in a place where firearms are banned. Thank God for the USA.

new topics

join