It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators Ask SCOTUS To Televise Obamacare Decision

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
As we await the SCOTUS decision on the healthcare mandate sometime this month, two Senators have sent a letter to Chief Justice John Roberts requesting that the court ruling be televised.

"Given the fundamental constitutional questions raised and the effects the decision will have, the Court should be aware of the great interest Americans have in the outcome of this case,” the senators wrote, noting that the case is "as important and consequential as any in recent Court history.”

slate.com

Add the bipartisan leaders of the Senate Judiciary Committee to the list of those who want the Supreme Court to break with tradition and allow cameras into the courtroom for the high court's upcoming Obamacare decision.

Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, a Democrat, and Sen. Charles Grassley, the panel's ranking Republican, sent a letter to Chief Justice John Roberts on Monday laying out their request for a few cameras, "placed to be barely noticeable" in the courtroom, to be allowed to broadcast the decision live.

I think this is a good idea. It will help to alleviate any misrepresentation by the media if we are able to view the actual proceedings rather than given the spin narrative or hype, and as quoted "bolster public confidence in our judicial system and in the decisions of the Court."

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They should have a side by side of that crying guy from WI recall.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Being as no one trusts the gov. and their shenanigans behind closed doors, I think this would be best.

The only problem with it being televised, is how many would play to the camera and turn it into more of a dramatic soap opera than it needs to be.

Personally, I would like to watch it to see who says what about the healthcare issue and how they really feel about it.

Maybe knowing they were being watched by the public, they wouldn't be so careless and act like they are looking out for us..........I know, keep on dreaming !

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Personal thought is that the idea with the cameras is to force the Supremes to strike down all of Obamacare. After all, the revolution will not be televised. And more than enough people in this country voiced their opinion of a very strong NO when the House voted on it.

If the Supremes uphold this to be Constitutionally legal. That the Federal government can subject the people to compulsory purchases...I would not want to be anywhere near DC for the foreseeable future. And I sure would not want to hang out with any elected official of any level. because quite simply, the guns will be out.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Personal thought is that the idea with the cameras is to force the Supremes to strike down all of Obamacare. After all, the revolution will not be televised. And more than enough people in this country voiced their opinion of a very strong NO when the House voted on it.

If the Supremes uphold this to be Constitutionally legal. That the Federal government can subject the people to compulsory purchases...I would not want to be anywhere near DC for the foreseeable future. And I sure would not want to hang out with any elected official of any level. because quite simply, the guns will be out.

Interesting thought... I think this is a double edged sword for the Democrats to be honest. If the Supremes strike it down, it will cause issues during the elections for sure with dems who are running who voted for it in the first place.

If its upheld, I can see a massive revolt at the ballot box to vote out any person who voted for the law in an effort to get people in who would repeal the law.

new topics

top topics

join