It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Issa Plans to Move Forward With Holder Contempt Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Issa Plans to Move Forward With Holder Contempt Vote

House Republicans plan to press on with consideration Wednesday by the Oversight and Government Reform Committee of a vote to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt of Congress regarding a stand-off over documents tied to the botched Fast and Furious" sting operation.

The announcement Tuesday night by committee chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., followed a closed-door meeting at the Capitol between Issa and other Republican and Democratic lawmakers with Holder at the U.S. Capitol. Issa described himself as disappointed and still hoping for a breakthrough.

"I had hoped that after this evening's meeting I would be able to tell you that the Department had delivered documents that would justify the postponement of tomorrow's vote on contempt," said Issa, in a statement.

Issa claimed the Justice Department had told the Committee last Thursday that it had documents it could produce that would answer our questions.

Click link for remainder of article...

Foxnews - Issa: Holder didn't produce Fast & Furious documents in Capitol Hill meeting

CNN - Issa: Holder must turn over documents or face contempt vote

edit on 19-6-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Not completely surprising that is was going to come to this. I am not sure why Holder would agree to the meeting then refuse to produce the documents he said he would. The part I found shocking was this -

But Issa said, "Today, the Attorney General informed us that the Department would not be producing those documents. The only offer they made involved us ending our investigation."

For the AG to suggest the committee end their investigation into possible illegal activity of people in the DOJ and the administration takes balls. I do not see the ending well for the AG or others linked into this mess. Should add some intrigue in the following months to the Presidential elections.

The contempt vote aside I do see more pressure coming down the pipeline to appoint an independent prosecutor to review the situation.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Holder knows. no matter what Issa does, Obama will give him a full pardon in the end. It makes me sick to think that the one person who is in charge of Justice in our Country, is not held to the same standards as the rest of us.

Des

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

If it goes beyond Holder and in an upwards direction implicating Obama I dont think a pardon would work. If I remeber right I dont thik a President can issue a pardon if they themselves are invovled in the criminal activity. I could be wrong but if I remeber right that is why Nixon did not hand them out left and right.

Gimme siome time and I will look it up to confirm.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

The ag should have resigned months ago. It is his watch that this terrible idea happened on so he is the boss, it is only just that he be fired or resign. If Mexico's law enforcement department had sold those guns to terrorists in the US knowing that they were terrorist, I don't know but I think that the swtf. Is he kidding we are trying to stop the drug gangs so we arm them with the good stuff and see where they go, really! I am really sad lately with the state of things.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by christoker

The ag should have resigned months ago. It is his watch that this terrible idea happened on so he is the boss, it is only just that he be fired or resign. If Mexico's law enforcement department had sold those guns to terrorists in the US knowing that they were terrorist, I don't know but I think that the swtf. Is he kidding we are trying to stop the drug gangs so we arm them with the good stuff and see where they go, really! I am really sad lately with the state of things.

This operation started under Holder, not Bush. The program in place under Bush was with the full knowledge and cooperation of the Mexican government. Fast and Furious was not which is the problem. Why has has not resigned or been asked to resign kind of baffles the mind. The only reasons I can think of is maybe he is hoping the "buck stops here" is a few rungs down from where holder is. The other possibility is if it is attached to Holder, then the next question is what did the President know and when and did he authuorize any of it?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
You can't hide stupid people if you suffer from the same affliction as a result of ego.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Does anyone else think Holder looks like a muppet? I just cant get past it.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Have been watching Issa on Greta, very long live interview. Holder has nailed the final nail into his own coffin. Issa is pissed. Said Holder is involved in a cover-up. That Congress has no choice but to vote on contempt tomorrow.

Des

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Holder said he offered to provide the documents to Issa on the condition that Issa provided his assurance that doing so would satisfy two committee subpoenas and resolve the dispute.

From the OP Link CNN

Ok, In the above statement Holder is admitting withholding documents in question, while at the same time admitting that he lied. In addition Holder also wants assurances that this ends after he gives Issa the documents.

So , Holder will turn over the documents in exchange for the committee to halt all investigations into Fast and Furious. i.e.

( doing so would satisfy two committee subpoenas and resolve the dispute.)

Meaning end of the entire investigation and everyone is off the hook. The key word in that statement is
( condition ).. Might have just said I'll turn it over if you let us all of go free with out charges.

A Justice Department spokesman reiterated Holder's position that the documents would show Holder had nothing to hide about his role in Fast and Furious

Really , then why the conditions then.
edit on 20-6-2012 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11235813213455
Does anyone else think Holder looks like a muppet? I just cant get past it.

Please don't insult the muppets.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

Where Holder is getting into trouble is actually coming from inside his department. Issa stated he has received documents that contain information that shows Holder is lying. Watching the last few rounds between Holder and Issa, the questions asked, Holders face when asked and his responses to Issa...

I think my signature line is an appropriate description of where holder is at right now....

"I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion."

I have been getting the impression that they are wanting this to go away before the election hits (obviously). I think the administration relied on the fact Dems would not support any actions against holder that would come up (contempt / impeachment / calls for him to resign).

With the leaks coming out of the administraion on national security issues and Holders lack of interest in finding the leaks, we now have senior democrats calling holders judgement into question. There are a number of democrats who are now siding with republicans calling for Holder to resign from lost confidence in his ability to do his job independantly of party and politics.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Holder refuses to cooperate....

Obama invokes Executive priviledge.....

The only thing missing is the clowns and the freak show..

join