It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Persecuted' Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador after taking refuge in embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

'Persecuted' Assange seeks asylum in Ecuador after taking refuge in embassy Read more: www.smh.com.au...

www.smh.com.au

Assange said in a statement: "I can confirm today that I arrived at Ecuadorian Embassy and sought diplomatic sanctuary and political asylum. This application has been passed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the capital Quito.

"I am grateful to the Ecuadorian ambassador And the government of Ecuador for considering my application"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
justice4assange.com

news.brisbanetimes.com.au[ editby]edit on 19-6-2012 by Amdusias because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I know he was offered Asylum in the past by Ecuador. I've also listened to his recent interviews on 4BC in Brisbane with Tim Shaw, where he has reiterated that the Australian government has made no attempt to provide him with any legal assistance. In regards to the charges he is facing in Sweden.

Regardless of these charges it's clear to anyone that his greatest fear in returning to Sweden will result in extradition to the US. Even the fact that he remained in Sweden for a 5 week period, whilst awaiting to see if Swedish authorities were going to question over the events in which he now faces charges over. He also sought permission to leave the country first, in which was granted (see additional links for further details).

Regardless of these charges, I don't see how it can't not be acknowledged that the primary reason for this media circus over this event. Is directly related to his actions with the founding of wiki leaks and the associated releasing of documents and further more who those documents may/may not have incriminated or exposed/humiliated in the process.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Already posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Regardless of the charges.. L.O Fekking L! His charges are that of *unprotected sex*!

Throw your hands up if your guilty also! Lol

I hope he escapes the US, the bloody rabid dogs!
edit on 19-6-2012 by Sinny because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Amdusias

Nothing like unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

what a chicken s**t. Ironic that he demands people be held accountible yet for some reason feels he is above that requirement.

To be honest, if he had credible ways to discredit these women then he should ahve done it already. His actions on trying to avoid it all toigether make me wonder if there might be truth to the claims.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Nothing like unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

How would it be "unlawful flight" when he's just using a legal option that is available to him? I understand if you don't like his decisions but your statement is incorrect. It's not like he's slipping handcuffs and stowing away in baggage.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You realise he didn't actually rape these women as far as any physical evidence can support? Maybe you should go find out what "sex by surprise" is, in regards to Sweden's laws. See just how unjustified it is. Also I did use the search function, but could not find the related topic. I will make further comments in the previously linked thread.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It is good to hear that he in not in Gitmo Bay or some other similar hole as there have been a lot of calls for it. It is probably wise he does not return to Australia as our political environment is very much following US war policy.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   

The Ecuadorian Govt despises the US Govt and know them for what they are. Chances are, Ecuador probably will give him refuge in their country however Assange does'nt fit the "friendly" profile that most Ecuadorians are.

I don't particularly like Assange because he's an arrogant little arsehole but I believe he's innocent of the Swedish charges.

As for the Australian Govt....well, we all know if you find yourself in a spot of bother in foreign lands, don't call their embassy - try the British High Commission instead unless you have family with alot of coin who can pay the bribes.
edit on 20-6-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by riley

Asylum is not a legal option. An Asylum, if granted, means Ecuador will not honor any request to extradite. It does not resolve his legal issue in Sweden, and it will remain active until such time its resolved.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

reply to post by riley

Asylum is not a legal option. An Asylum, if granted, means Ecuador will not honor any request to extradite. It does not resolve his legal issue in Sweden, and it will remain active until such time its resolved.

You asserted he is doing something unlawful yet he has not even been charged. Requesting asylum is also not unlawful so your statement is disingenous.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

I am sorry, I mostly agree with your stances, but I will have to disagree here. Also weather I agree with Mr. Assange's actions or not is irrelevant too.

There is nothing "unlawful" about requesting political assylum in UK law. Requesting political assylum may be illegal in the US, I don't know, but as he is neither a US citizen, nor in the US, US law does not apply at this juncture.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

reply to post by riley

You asserted he is doing something unlawful yet he has not even been charged. Requesting asylum is also not unlawful so your statement is disingenous.

Actually what he is doing is unlawful. An extradition request was submitted by Sweden to ahve Assange returned to their country to face the accusations made against him. Seeking Asylum in a country that refuses to return him, in american law, is unlawful flight to avoid prosecution. The countries of the EU have their version of it using different names but the law is essentially the same.

A person who is wanted runs away in order to avoid the action.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris

I am sorry, I mostly agree with your stances, but I will have to disagree here. Also weather I agree with Mr. Assange's actions or not is irrelevant too.

There is nothing "unlawful" about requesting political assylum in UK law. Requesting political assylum may be illegal in the US, I don't know, but as he is neither a US citizen, nor in the US, US law does not apply at this juncture.

You guys are mixing the 2.

Requesting Asylum is not illegal...

Running away in order to avoid being sent to Sweden to face charges is the unlawful flight part. The British court ruled the extradition request was valid and that he has to be returned to sweden to face the charges. Assange is asking for Asylum in order to avoid being sent back to face the charges.

Granting a person Asylum is not illegal, unless the 2 countries involved have treaties with each other, and even then the country can ignore the treaty if they wish. The act by the wanted person of fleeing to a jurisdiction that will harbor him makes it an unlawful flight to avoid prosecution.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Like I was saying -

Assange will be arrested if he comes out of embassy in London, police rep. says

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange will be arrested if he comes out of the Ecuadorian Embassy in London where he is seeking asylum, a Metropolitan Police representative at the scene said Thursday, without giving his name.

Assange was arrested in Britain in 2010 because Swedish authorities want to question him about allegations of rape and sexual molestation. His bail conditions included staying every night at the home of a supporter outside of London.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join