It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legal crisis over Julian Assange's asylum request

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Legal crisis over Julian Assange's asylum request

www.guardian.co.uk

The decision by the WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange to seek political asylum in the Ecuadorean embassy in London has sparked a fresh legal crisis over his already tortuous extradition case.

The 40 year old Australian walked into the country's embassy in Knightsbridge, central London, on Tuesday and applied for protection from the European arrest warrant request citing the United Nations Human Rights Declaration.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It seems Julian Assange does not trust the European Court of Human Rights and instead tried to do a bunk by claiming Asylum in the Ecuadorean embassy.

I can see how this will be debated already, those against him claiming this is sure sign of his guilt, and those for him saying he had to do it before being rendered to the USA or god knows where.

Like him or loathe him he certainly keeps in the news.
Personally I think he is innocent, n overinflated ego yes, rapist no, but of course I was not there so don't know for sure. However I do believe he genuinely fears for his life if sent to the USA so don't blame this action. Feel sorry for those who posted his bail though

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

ATS Julian Assange 1

ATS Julian Assange 2
edit on 19-6-2012 by PrinceDreamer because: To add ATS links

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by PrinceDreamer

I agree with you, I think he's innocent too! I would have done the same thing, he has waited right up to the bitter end before doing this! Also he would be straight off to the USA from Sweden i think!

Forgot about the people who paid his bail money, but i,m sure they will get it back somehow!

Wonder how they will get his ankle transmitter off?

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
People used to seek political asylum in the US to protect themselves from foreign oppressors. It's a sad day when people, merely for telling the truth, now have to seek political asylum to protect themselves from the US. It's amazing how far this country has fallen from the beacon of freedom it once was.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Have to say I agree with, makes me wonder though why he went there, i would of thought Russia or China would of been better suited to him and more likely to support him, he did however interview the Ecuadorian president recently, maybe he got a nod and wink he would be looked after

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

China or Russia? They are authoritarian countries with little freedom of speech, I would think those would be the worst places for a person who fights tooth and nail for transparency in government... Ecuador on the other hand is a Constitutional Republic.
edit on 19-6-2012 by SilentKoala because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentKoala

Yes I know, but they would give him a lot of freedom of speech when it is damning the west, Russia and China, in fact all countries love to score political points, its mostly a game to them. I could see the fuss say China would make of having to protect people from big bad America, same with Russia

Anyway I am sure there will be many more twists and turns in this story yet

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

shows ya how week the austrailan gov is not to get involved in this matter, were just another puppet, assange deserves better, yuck fou gillard,
bring him back to OZ

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It looks like the US will be sending special forces to Ecuador.

What suprises me, is that the US hasn't tried to extradite Assange from Britain. We have a pretty strong extradition treaty with them.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There's a reason for that. There would be a hearing and US would have to prove to UK that they have a case against him.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
A case against him? Did he obtain classified information from the US government through illegal means? Isn't that espionage?

He isn't the "free information for the masses" guy. He is the "free AMERICAN information for the masses guy".

If he honestly believes that what he has done is the right thing than he should be DEMANDING a trial in American court.

Did he rape someone? I don't know. I would like to see some evidence to the contrary that's for sure. He has (as far as I know), only said he has been accused due to his acts of espionage against the US.

Stop looking for new places to hide Julian, come out from under the rock and declare that you will not be a victim of political bullying.
edit on 19-6-2012 by 200Plus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Wasn't he under house arrest in some mansion?

I haven't really been paying attention to him.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 200Plus
A case against him? Did he obtain classified information from the US government through illegal means? Isn't that espionage?

No he didn't actually.

He isn't the "free information for the masses" guy. He is the "free AMERICAN information for the masses guy".

WL is a global organization. You should read up a little. Tons of stuff from all over the place.

If he honestly believes that what he has done is the right thing than he should be DEMANDING a trial in American court.

Why would anyone who hasn't broken any law want to go to court? Especially in US with it's freedom, liberty, torture and corruption.

Did he rape someone? I don't know. I would like to see some evidence to the contrary that's for sure. He has (as far as I know), only said he has been accused due to his acts of espionage against the US.

Broken condom hardly equal rape unless you happen to be like a major media spokes person. Also care to quote that last part?

Stop looking for new places to hide Julian, come out from under the rock and declare that you will not be a victim of political bullying.

He is a victim of political bullying but that's nothing. Being a victim of corrupt justice system is a problem.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Of course he raped someone. He was only one of the most controversial and polarizing figures on the planet, thus he thought he could get away with something so blatant when the whole world was watching.

edit on 19-6-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Running away! Why am I not surprised. Too bad for that kid who is in government confinement for leaking classified intelligence. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Bradley Manning. Goes to show how important he is. It is all about Julian Assange, and not transparency, the rule of law, or any of that self righteous baloney he has been spewing.

If he cared about any of those principles? Then he would face his accusers, and highlight the improprieties of his accusers in a court of law. If the asylum request is granted? We will never know his innocence or guilt. He is acting in the same way as those he allegedly accuses of breaking the law and the public trust. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Mr. Assange is a hypocrite. Just another celebrity who thinks he is above the law. It is only the little people who have to face the courts and go to prison. Certainly not Julian Assange. Have fun in Equador.
edit on 19-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
When he had his most recent interview with Tim Shaw on 2UE's 4BC (Brisbane) I took upon myself to text in the fact that Assange will now have to watch his back. Noting the intelligence community will continue to monitor his every move and eliminate him if they feel it necessary. I sure hope the best of what he has documented is ready to go.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by 200Plus

Nope that is journalism, Bradley Manning obtained the information and handed to Assange. What do you expect a reporter to do? It was his job to accept those documents, And remember Assagne is Australian, he has no loyalty to the USA or anywhere else.

Actually Wikileaks post information about every country they find, they stand for freedom of information for everyone, they are not against just the USA.

Why? What a stupid statement, he is not American, does not live in America and broken no law in Australia or anywhere else because of releasing this information. However you get dumb Americans calling him a traitor and screaming for his execution (How can he be a traitor to America if he is not a US citizen?) No wonder he does not want to go there, besides remember you have past the most evil laws that allow you to lock up people indefinitely WITHOUT any trial or legal access, sure he is going to demand that...

* Emphasis is mine

Evidence to the contrary that's for sure? Really? What happened to innocent until proven guilty, yet you want evidence he is innocent. If Assange was not on the US # list then I would like to see him go to trial, however until the US gets over itself and realises that other countries nationals are not subject to its laws or whims I don't blame him running. The USA is becoming the biggest tyrant in the world, sad but true

Without the support of his own country to protect him, he has to run, how can a single person or even a group of individuals take on the US government? They cant, this does not mean the US should be just allowed to keep on abusing its power.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Personally I believe he may have assaulted the ladies....but....I personally don't want him shipped to the US.

Because he's done nothing to harm anyone in the US.

I'm one of his biggest supporters. I've been watching his show on RT since it first aired. I've donated to WL on a few occasions. I've had to defend him on here on more than one occasion, but I do want him to be tried.

And hell, if he's going to be tried in Sweden, it beats the # out of the USA.

If he gets shipped to the US, though, he's got way more eyes on him than Bradley Manning. Assange would probably be safer than him. I believe he should stand up to what's happening and I agree that he should attempt to expose the US justice system for the bologna it spews.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
How is he going to get out of the UK from the embassy without the coppers getting hold of him? Not sure how that's going to be possible. I hope he manages it somehow anyway.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see who puts pressure on Ecuador, Sweden or Amerika.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join