It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US plans significant military presence in Kuwait

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

US plans significant military presence in Kuwait

seattletimes.nwsource.com

The United States is planning a significant military presence of 13,500 troops in Kuwait to give it the flexibility to respond to sudden conflicts in the region as Iraq adjusts to the withdrawal of American combat forces and the world nervously eyes Iran, according to a congressional report

In just the last two days, Saudi Arabia's ruler named Defense Minister Prince Salman bin Abdul-Aziz as the country's new crown prince after last week's death of Prince Nayef, and Kuwait's government suspen
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.presstv.ir

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Saudi, Japan deals drive record US arms sales

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Interesting move
Kuwait is right next to Iran as we all know
In fact there are ferries from Kuwait that go into Iran

It could just also be the U.S. wanting to contain what gets out of Iraq
But from what I understand there's no Al-Qaeda in Iraq anyhow

Now I am in no way a fan of presstv, but check this link out
www.presstv.ir...

So there's already troops in Kuwait as it is though
And they have been training Kuwaiti troops
So perhaps nothing to see here

seattletimes.nwsource.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Agreed, scary stuff!!

Look at how badly Iran is surrounded,

I started a thread about this earlier too,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think its significant move as all eyes are on Syria, yet Iran continues to get surrounded for what appears to be an inevitable attack... Ooh i mean 'humanitarian intervention' maybe?!?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Everyone talks about how Iran is "surrounded", and while I am not denying that, alot of what is there is logistical/maintenence and HQ type functions. With the exception of the 2-3 Brigades remaining in Kuwait, there is very little as far as combat troops stationed in the area. The map is also misleading in certain ways. What's in afgahnistan is needed there (and is slowly being drawn down), and would not likely be used in Iran. There are no major troops stationed in Pakistan, yet that's marked on the map. Combat and most support troops are now out of Iraq. We do use the airbases in Qatar/UAE to base combat aircraft (and currently are doing this) but this isn't always the case. Alot of these bases are also joint with the host country and the numbers of us forces stationed on site can vary greatly depending on the situation. I beleive the "Yemen" base is just a refueling point and is under contract, but I wuold need to look that up.

So while I get what people are saying about iran being "surrounded" to me it's what's currently deployed or in the process of deploying that makes the situation tense (or not). Not the number of "bases" in the area.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

I guess you are a high ranking military person yourself to reassure us where and how many troops are deployed around. Must say tho, from here and following the last 5 years, I really cant see a point in doubting an US intervention in Iran, they have been crushing "unfriendly regimes" around the whole near-mid east.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

There are no major troops stationed in Pakistan, yet that's marked on the map

Yes, most likely no large groups of troops there, BUT, there are drone bases in Pakistan yes? Thats a significant military weapon that could be deployed easily into Iran

gizmodo.com...

Probably where they launch spy drones that go over Iran, maybe the one that come down a while ago, so yes I think it counts on that map.

What's in afgahnistan is needed there (and is slowly being drawn down), and would not likely be used in Iran.

Why do you think they would not likely be used in Iran? According to a story released by AP yesterday says there are 88,000 active troops.. thats a significant amount with all the equipment right there if need be, no?
Via Deseret News, AP

The other thing about that map is that it all countries surrounding Iran are allied/loyal to the U.S., no? Thats pretty damn significant!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juanxlink

I guess you are a high ranking military person yourself to reassure us where and how many troops are deployed around. Must say tho, from here and following the last 5 years, I really cant see a point in doubting an US intervention in Iran, they have been crushing "unfriendly regimes" around the whole near-mid east.

I am not currently active duty or "high ranking". I am however; well verse in international security/defense issues.

Deployments of large units are not normally secret, and it is fairly easy to find out what units are where by any number of websites.

I'll give you a hint to start, go look at the "Organisation/regular combat maneuver organizations" section of the US army page in wiki. It tells you what units are home based where, what kind of equipment and capabilities that unit has, and links to more info. When you hear in the news a particular unit has done something, you can figure alot more out if you do some reading.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can do the same info on the other branches of the military and even with some other countries militaries.

As far as a US intervention in Iran or Syria, its' really hard to say. Obviously the plans are there, nad I will go as far to say some units have been moved in the event of a crisis. Personally, I think the US will be content on Israel taking care of the Iranian nuclaer program, and the Syria situation is so dynamic from day to day they don't know what they want to do yet.
edit on 19-6-2012 by SrWingCommander because: content

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I beleive all the drone and other troops in pakistan had left, but maybe not.

Yes there 88,000 troops in afghanistan. It would take me some time do specific research (that I don't have right now), but i would assume that only about 22,000 of those are actual combat troops. The rest would be support/etc. Due to the terrain between Iran and Afgahnistan, and the location of industrialized areas in Iran that would likely be targeted, few of the troops in Afgahnistan would be used in Iran. Not to mention I don't think there will be ANY land invasion of Iran, it will likely be an air and sea campaign. I would be genuinely shocked to see and actual land invasion of Iran, and almost as shocked if that happened in Syria.

top topics

join