It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New findings could rewrite scientists' model of how universe hangs together

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

New findings could rewrite scientists' model of how universe hangs together

www.csmonitor.com

The reigning theory of particle physics may be flawed, according to new evidence that a subatomic particle decays in a certain way more often than it should, scientists announced.

This theory, called the Standard Model, is the best handbook scientists have to describe the tiny bits of matter that make up the universe. But many physicists suspect the Standard Model has some holes in it, and findings like this may point to where those holes are hiding.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wow.....

They have been looking for the god particle for a while and instead found out that the going Standard Model may be flawed? Makes you wonder what else they are going to find as they research this..

Now I admit I'm not as scientifically literate in all of this but it seems that what they predicted happens during a collision, actually happens MORE than they figured it would. I am not quite sure what this means, but.. I am sure it will help us understand matter even more if they can unravel this little mystery..

www.csmonitor.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Haha every time something like this happens I laugh to myself.. Humans think they know everything sometimes, then along comes one small finding and the whole thing is shaken up.

I don't pretend to understand quantum mechanics anyways, I just listen to what I'm told

Edit: Good find though! S+F

edit on 19-6-2012 by ParaZep because: ^

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Now we are talking good science.

If this is true it's a good thing.
It will mean we have a better understanding of how things work.

And many people will probably have to go back and relearn a few things.

Overall

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Nobody is rewriting physics just yet...

While the BaBar findings are more sensitive than previous studies of these decays, they are not statistically significant enough to claim they present a clear break from the Standard Model.

We need replicapble results...

To confirm the findings, more data will be needed from other experiments, such as the Belle project at the High Energy Accelerator Research Organization (KEK) in Tsukuba, Japan, which also produces B mesons.

"If the excess decays shown are confirmed, it will be exciting to figure out what is causing it," said BaBar physics coordinator Abner Soffer of Tel Aviv University. "We hope our results will stimulate theoretical discussion about just what the data are telling us about new physics."

Thanks for sharing, will be keeping an eye on this

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Ehhh, it's some sort of statistical oddity related to particle decay... I was hoping for something more exciting.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ParaZep

Humans think they know everything sometimes, then along comes one small finding and the whole thing is shaken up.

These kind of post's always crack me up.

This is EXACTLY how science is supposed to work.

I have also yet to find anybody in science (respected) to claim we "have it all figured out".

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Here is a great lecture of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, also pertaining to Quantum Science, Its long and for those who don't have decent science will be quite boring and hard to follow..

Great stuff tho if you know what your listening to. Keep in mind there is TONS of conspiracy and speculation behind Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Lecture 1.
www.youtube.com...

Lecture 2.
www.youtube.com...

Lecture 3.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieJesus
reply to post by ParaZep

Humans think they know everything sometimes, then along comes one small finding and the whole thing is shaken up.

These kind of post's always crack me up.

This is EXACTLY how science is supposed to work.

I have also yet to find anybody in science (respected) to claim we "have it all figured out".

we will NEVER have it ALL figured out... ever.. any one who tells you otherwise is a FOOL

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

Go to 39:55 in this Steven Hawking documentary. It's narrated by a person reading a script written by Hawking (watch the last few minutes to the end and you'll see what I mean).

edit on 19/6/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Very nice vid post Chaotic... I think I said it in my OP that I wasn't the brightest when it came to understanding the relationship between gluons and bosons and quarks (Quark to me is either a) the publishing program i use or b) a Ferengi bartender on DS9) So I wasn't sure of the significance of this find. Just looked interesting, and I've been peripherally following it..

top topics

join