It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subject Specific Academic Myopia and Short Sightedness of Extraterrestrial Life - Neil De Grasse Tys

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Made a vid that I think some people here might appreciate.

Some scientists have interdisciplinary shortsightedness in many regards and failure to remain open minded in regards to what other sciences have to say. This is a perfect example of this, well explained by Neil.

A lot of the current scientific arguments against extraterrestrial life put forth by biologists are predicated on assumptions that, in a cosmological sense, don't hold any weight what so ever.

However, if intelligent life does exist and is aware of us (or has some sort of capability to reach us) their intelligence would likely be of such a level they would be totally disinterested in us, and see interaction of any sort pointless. Like when you see a slug you don't really think "I wonder what that slug is thinking, lets offer it a cup of tea and introduce ourselves" as our level of intelligence so is so beyond theirs, and so different, we don't even recognize them as having intelligence or consciousness as we define it.

A lot of the conspiracy theorist views many here fantasise about in relation to aliens are laughable.

But, to state that such intelligent life does not exist, is equally laughable.
edit on 19-6-2012 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Exist and visiting earth are two very distinct things.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Exist and visiting earth are two very distinct things.

Didn't say otherwise.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeuZZ
"I wonder what that slug is thinking, lets offer it a cup of tea and introduce ourselves" as our level of intelligence so is so beyond theirs, and so different, we don't even recognize them as having intelligence or consciousness as we define it.

i really think there is no comparison...we are intelligent life(not as intelligent as arrogant humans presume, but nonetheless)
Nobody can deny that we are a complicated society with ever developing infrastruture, culture, and history.
For a highly advanced civilization(aliens) to completely ignore us, or be disinterested in our species, would speak volumes about theirs.... wouldnt it?

I think if there are E.T's out there, they either watch and study from afar, or they are completely ingrained in our world, and have been for eons(most likely)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well, if I was comander of a Exploring team that have the
capabillity to visit other planets around OTHER stars, i would
first study. IF i found life there i would keep study it..IF they
were advanced and had capacity to detect us i would make
contact, and in ANY WAY necessery i would try to make them
understand we are friendly...

Now this is MY standpoint..
I dont think US(NASA) or any other combination would
do the same...(Divide and Conquer)..

And thats the point, HOW can WE know or even begin to speculate
what another species would do...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

However, if intelligent life does exist and is aware of us (or has some sort of capability to reach us) their intelligence would likely be of such a level they would be totally disinterested in us, and see interaction of any sort pointless. Like when you see a slug you don't really think "I wonder what that slug is thinking, lets offer it a cup of tea and introduce ourselves" as our level of intelligence so is so beyond theirs, and so different, we don't even recognize them as having intelligence or consciousness as we define it.

Speaking of Myopia and making assumptions, maybe you need to watch that video again. You are doing exactly what you are pointing the finger at others for doing. You have nothing to truly base your assumptions on.

What you say may or may not be true. Just because a species is capable of interstellar travel does not turn them into gods incapable of perceiving another species grasp of the most basic and rudimentary forms of communication and scientific disciplines. If anything, if they are that far advanced, they would be MORE likely to recognize it and utilize it to communicate with us, And they may be quite interested in us.

Technological advancement does not automatically equate to sociological advancement either. They may have manners and etiquette worse than ours, if that's possible.
edit on 6/19/2012 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker808

"I wonder what that slug is thinking, lets offer it a cup of tea and introduce ourselves" as our level of intelligence so is so beyond theirs, and so different, we don't even recognize them as having intelligence or consciousness as we define it.

i really think there is no comparison...we are intelligent life(not as intelligent as arrogant humans presume, but nonetheless)
Nobody can deny that we are a complicated society with ever developing infrastruture, culture, and history.
For a highly advanced civilization(aliens) to completely ignore us, or be disinterested in our species, would speak volumes about theirs.... wouldnt it?

I think if there are E.T's out there, they either watch and study from afar, or they are completely ingrained in our world, and have been for eons(most likely)

I dont doubt the remote possibility we are being researched by a higher intelligence (the form of which we can not even currently comprehend scientifically or detect by current means) just like a swarm of bacteria probably has no idea they are in a test tube being studied by us.

They are not interested in us in the sense they would try to communicate or contact us however, thats totally different.

But, as it stands, we can't prove it in any way.

This is the science section. Please try to keep it scientific.

Science adjusts its views based on whats observed,
Faith is the denial of observation so that faith can be preserved.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
You do raise a very important and growing problem relating to interdisciplinary science as the boundaries are getting pushed further and further in all directions as our understanding of life's complexity grows. Trying to remain balanced in this complexity is no easy feat, as your description of comprehension challenges and dig at crop circles show.

Maybe the lights that are seen in the presence of crop circles are more terrestrial than extra terrestrial in nature, but similar things are seen all around the world and is just one life form that is still a mystery as we start to look up in the skies. There are many more unusual and unexplained things for those that want to find them.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

They are not interested in us in the sense they would try to communicate or contact us however, thats totally different.

But, as it stands, we can't prove it in any way.

This is the science section. Please try to keep it scientific.

alright take it easy there professor .
Theres no need to get all pissy
i was just infering that an advanced civilization wouldnt view us as slugs(could any logical being do this?...i know i know i cant prove this lulz)
you used a poor example...I took it out of proportion to show you how poor of an example it was.

apparently you got the message.

BTW i like the whole caste system you got going on....
this is the science section, do not enter unless you speak latin!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is a badass and I will follow him into battle.

top topics

join